advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+16)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Times-

“Theresa May is the political equivalent of Maurizio Sarri, the Chelsea manager who tried and failed to substitute his goalkeeper in the Carabao cup final match on Sunday. Like the football coach who has “lost the dressing room” the prime minister has so little authority over her cabinet that ministers openly flout the government line on the most important issue of the day. Backbench MPs from all parties feel obliged to take matters into their own hands to prevent a disastrous “no-deal” Brexit because they cannot trust Mrs May to put the country’s interests before her own.
Even politicians who are normally loyal are being forced into desperate measures because they see a catastrophic vacuum of leadership at the top”.

Rachel Sylvester writing the article said one Tory Minister told her they’d never heard of a worse Prime Minister.
This is where the Conservative Party has taken Britain. “Our worst days are still ahead of us”.

Oh, fancy that?

D0Ub-BrWkAAJAPD.png

Well, at the moment, there is no deal so "Brexit as it stands" means crashing out without a deal. I can't understand why anyone outside of the lunatic branch of the Tory party thinks this is a good idea.
We will not leave without a deal, an extension of article 50 or revoking article 50 will be the way forward. We are most probably heading for an ending to Brexit as I stated on page one of day one over 2 years ago. This could come next year, or 20 years from now because if article 50 is extended indefinitely Brexit could well see many of us out.

Graun giggles here
"The year is 2025 and the prime minister, David Lammy, has just phoned the Sinn Féin leader, Mary Lou McDonald, to congratulate her on victory in Ireland’s unification referendum. The deputy prime minister, Nicola Sturgeon, tweets that she hopes Scotland will follow suit in the referendum she secured at the last election for taking the Scottish National party into coalition with Labour. Gerry Adams gives the dedication as a statue of Jacob Rees-Mogg is unveiled in Crossmaglen. The Tory leader, Amber Rudd, refuses to publicly blame her predecessor Boris Johnson for the breakup of the union but, like the rest of what’s left of the country, she knows the truth".

And, more seriously

"Whisper it quietly, but the best outcome for the DUP is actually a people’s vote. They’ll scream red, white and blue murder if it happens but privately breathe a sigh of relief. Like Boris Johnson, they never wanted Brexit but wanted to be seen to support it. A second referendum offers an escape from their worst nightmare, while allowing them to reluctantly go along with “the will of the entire country”. Very unionist.

For Northern Ireland as a whole, another EU referendum is also the only way out of this mess. Not to save face. But to save peace, prosperity and a shared future. It’s wrong that Northern Ireland should take one for the team so that others can have their version of Brexit. It’s now time to act, or Northern Ireland might decide the team is no longer worth playing for".

• Patrick Kielty is a Northern Ireland-born comedian and TV presenter. His father was killed by loyalist paramilitaries in 1988. Those responsible were later released under the Good Friday agreement. His documentary, My Dad, The Peace Deal and Me, exploring the legacy of the Belfast agreement won a 2018 Grierson award

One thing that has changed since the 2016 referendum is the stance of the Daily Mail, which has shifted from an 'Enemies of the People', hard-Brexit backing paper to something more reasonable. So this morning's headline, far from complaining about Corbyn backing a second referendum, focuses instead on the rumoured revolt by Tory ministers forcing May to rule out No Deal. Of course the Express is still slavering away, but that's only because their usual 'Britain faces months of Arctic hell' headlines are on ice. So to speak.

Thus, in the event of a softer Brexit, the Mail will be unlikely to resort to the sort of rabble-rousing prose that Dacre would have mandated.

I would welcome a second ref as would many who voted leave I would imagine as long as the leave option deal represents Brexit, as it stands, May's deal is a joke.

So, assuming you're not fully in line with the ERG, what deal would not be a 'joke'? I mean one that the EU and the House would actually accept.

Stephen

Good to see that no deal planning is going exactly as expected: “No-deal Brexit panic after ministers realise the UK doesn’t have the right pallets for exporting to the EU” “It is the tiny, procedural, mundane-seeming stuff that will absolutely trip people up," one industry figure briefed by Theresa May's government told BI, adding that the country was "not even remotely ready" for no-deal.

Affected industry figures who were scheduled for talks with the government said they were baffled as to why it took ministers so long to realise the dearth of pallets, given that they are such a basic feature of cross-border trade.

One business figure told BI: "The point of transition was that it provided the two years we needed to get ready. Now we are trying to get ready in a few weeks. What sort of lunatic would do that?"
https://amp.businessinsider.com/bre...os-2019-2?r=US&IR=T&__twitter_impression=true

Sure you still want no deal, Raga?

So, assuming you're not fully in line with the ERG, what deal would not be a 'joke'? I mean one that the EU and the House would actually accept.

Stephen
I have always stated a fair deal would be one which represented both leave & remain, leave won the ref but it was close so seems only fair to represent both. A middle ground deal, the proposed Labour deal which the EU seem quite taken by is the best current option. Maybe then offer this to the country vs remain & let the cards drop where they will.

Currently May's deal is unnaceptable to leave & remain, it's a dead duck.

Good to see that no deal planning is going exactly as expected: “No-deal Brexit panic after ministers realise the UK doesn’t have the right pallets for exporting to the EU” “It is the tiny, procedural, mundane-seeming stuff that will absolutely trip people up," one industry figure briefed by Theresa May's government told BI, adding that the country was "not even remotely ready" for no-deal.

Affected industry figures who were scheduled for talks with the government said they were baffled as to why it took ministers so long to realise the dearth of pallets, given that they are such a basic feature of cross-border trade.

One business figure told BI: "The point of transition was that it provided the two years we needed to get ready. Now we are trying to get ready in a few weeks. What sort of lunatic would do that?"
https://amp.businessinsider.com/bre...os-2019-2?r=US&IR=T&__twitter_impression=true

Sure you still want no deal, Raga?

John Redwood has called for the setting up of a pallets hotline and has asked Ulster Loyalists to stop burning them.

I have never stated I want no deal.
A have always stated I want a Labour Brexit, it's still a possibility.

Doesn’t a Labour Brexit keep us more closely aligned with the EU, and therefore would be worse than May’s deal from your point of view? The idea that Labour will persuade the EU to set up a new customs union with the UK so the latter can have a say in EU trade deals does seem a non-starter rather than a possibility, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back