advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+16)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So while she has moved by offering votes, May would prefer a 'no deal' by the sounds of it. She truly is an awful black hole. Her one-dimensional, hectoring tone is becoming genuinely unbearable. As in it's harder and harder not to switch off. Power probably drives most people mad and I believe she is now truly sick of mind.

The whole exchange struck me of two hopelessly failed party leaders desperately attempting to hold their collapsing parties together with whatever sticking plaster was to hand. None of this was about the best interests of the country.

I'm not so sure. About 2/3 of abstainers in the ref were pro remain.

The referendum was won very narrowly by lies and electoral fraud and this is the kind of stunt that can only be pulled once.
I've not seen that figure before. Do you have a source? The natural assumption is that non-voters split 52-48 in favour of Leave, as in the referendum result.

So while she has moved by offering votes, May would prefer a 'no deal' by the sounds of it. She truly is an awful black hole. Her one-dimensional, hectoring tone is becoming genuinely unbearable. As in it's harder and harder not to switch off. Power probably drives most people mad and I believe she is now truly sick of mind.

Some good summaries:

"Alberto Nardelli‏Verified account @AlbertoNardelli
tl;dr Businesses will not know until March 13th whether the UK crashes out of the EU with no deal just two weeks later, whether Brexit is delayed until some yet to be agreed date, or whether the UK exits with a deal on 29 March."

"steve richards‏ @steverichards14
May’s latest contortion is meaningless- a short delay would not give enough time for another deal to be agreed. She would bring back her deal yet again and put the same proposition - my deal or no deal."

In other words...

She gets out of her casket every night, clanking along the corridors delivering the same nightmare. She’ll kill business on 29 March or stay the execution to a time of her choosing and no one can stop her. The corpulent, pink, sweating former CBI Director General Digby Jones even applauds.

I can't find anything having searched google but I do remember hearing this on a news programme a few weeks back, of course without a link the point is useless.

Edit/ this was mentioned briefly again on Politics today.
As a credible possibility or as a risible affirmation to point and jeer at?
More importantly, do you have a source for the EU offering this?

I've not seen that figure before. Do you have a source? The natural assumption is that non-voters split 52-48 in favour of Leave, as in the referendum result.

I’d have thought it would factor heavily in current polls too were it true. It is clear there is a shift towards remain, but it is nowhere near as strong or rapid as I’d expect given the mess Brexit is predictably proving.

Source was some Oxford professor on the radio 4 lunchtime news (can't remember his name, I'm afraid). This figure has been quoted more than once though.

I'll try and find out more later. Sorry I can't be more specific atm.

With Jess Philips just now we saw genuine human desperation. A desperate plea to get May to actually answer a question. May's non-answer showed the black hole in all its gaping darkness. I think May can barely function outside of the Commons, a place where she alone feels comfortable and plays out a part that has now enveloped her completely.

Another insight from this week:

"With May, it was different. She didn’t answer questions or make small talk, or big talk. She is present only in that she makes you feel her pain. Social interaction appears torturous for her, and so it is for all around her. Dancing, snooker, her endlessly repeating what we know are lies, walking into meetings where everyone despises her. I used to feel a bit sorry for her. But that lunch, when I stared into the abyss and saw someone who has no need to make anyone else feel at ease, made me understand she is a dangerous, power-crazed maniac. The dullness is a cover. That’s all."

With Jess Philips just now we saw genuine human desperation. A desperate plea to get May to actually answer a question. May's non-answer showed the black hole in all its gaping darkness. I think May can barely function outside of the Commons, a place where she alone feels comfortable and plays out a part that has now enveloped her completely.

"With May, it was different. She didn’t answer questions or make small talk, or big talk. She is present only in that she makes you feel her pain. Social interaction appears torturous for her, and so it is for all around her. Dancing, snooker, her endlessly repeating what we know are lies, walking into meetings where everyone despises her. I used to feel a bit sorry for her. But that lunch, when I stared into the abyss and saw someone who has no need to make anyone else feel at ease, made me understand she is a dangerous, power-crazed maniac. The dullness is a cover. That’s all."
Chilling. Time to have her sectioned.

She dwarves Thatcher in terms of pathology. That speech about “are you one of those who are just about managing?” - that was blood chilling simulation.

John Curtice said on Today this morning that remain were currently ahead (54/46 IIRC) but this wasn’t because people had changed their minds, rather that previous don’t-knows were now coming out strongly in favour of remain.

That wouldn`t be my natural assumption - I`d assume that as most non-voters are lazy and appathetic they wouldn`t want to change anything (otherwise they would have voted) so they`d be mostly very idle remainers.

Gassor said:

Amino disrespect, but Physics at school was not exactly rocket science!

Come come, when I took O level physics the paper included a question on valve theory - not that we`d studied it.

That really is chilling. And it mirrors what I’ve been saying for years.

Brexit will drag on for years, killing investment along the way. Even if we end up staying in the EU.
That's the problem. Even now the mealy mouthed short extension is just pure nuts. I could see her deal getting through simply because she has grind the life out of everybody. The brexiteers will be running scared if they don't take her deal the project could fail. The rump of the Tory party could go with it to try and stave off an election and the Labour brexiteers could support it as the only game in town. But it don't matter any more the damage is done nothing short of a new referendum with a resounding remain win can change this tide

From the New York Times (https://nyti.ms/2SsfT1h)

"What Goes On in Those Brexit Talks in Brussels? ‘Nothing,’ Document Says

Each mission has ended without a deal, or even a hint of progress, leaving baffled observers to wonder what, exactly, Mrs. May and European officials talk about in these get-togethers. Now, a confidential document summarizing a Feb. 7 meeting from the European side has offered up an answer: “Nothing.”"

What a dog and pony show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back