advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+16)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose we should all be grateful if we end up avoiding disaster. A vote to Leave (with no plan) followed by a vote for May? We'll have a dodged a bullet.

"European Union leaders now hold Theresa May in such low esteem that their private targets for her latest summit appearance were minimal: Please, just don’t mess it up again.

May’s track record at such gatherings is calamitous, even when she doesn’t end up publicly embarrassed, according to one EU diplomat who regularly attends. She irritates fellow leaders because she doesn’t engage with them and makes promises she can’t deliver, he said. The final straw was her request in December for more concessions on her Brexit deal after telling them she knew it was the best agreement she could get.
Her chats on the sidelines of the summit with some of her counterparts Sunday and Monday were functional and businesslike, a second official said. Nothing illuminating was reported from the discussions because May didn’t say anything illuminating, the official said." https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ad-may-didn-t-shoot-herself-in-the-foot-again

That's them showing they live in the real world. Some of them will literally be gagging on their peri-peri.

You can tell from the group dynamic that it was Chuka's idea and choice.

You can tell from the salad (and the face) that Soubry probably couldn't get out of there quick enough.

You can tell from the group dynamic that it was Chuka's idea and choice.

You can tell from the salad (and the face) that Soubry probably couldn't get out of there quick enough.
Ha ha yes, didn't notice Soubry. Some of them look genuinely happy though, even likeable. Angela Smith looks...haunted.

That's them showing they live in the real world. Some of them will literally be gagging on their peri-peri.
Chuka is doing a wonderful job of making a mouthful of shit look lovely. I guess a career of eating shit, talking shit and being up to your neck in shit helps.

I suppose we should all be grateful if we end up avoiding disaster. A vote to Leave (with no plan) followed by a vote for May? We'll have a dodged a bullet.

"European Union leaders now hold Theresa May in such low esteem that their private targets for her latest summit appearance were minimal: Please, just don’t mess it up again.

May’s track record at such gatherings is calamitous, even when she doesn’t end up publicly embarrassed, according to one EU diplomat who regularly attends. She irritates fellow leaders because she doesn’t engage with them and makes promises she can’t deliver, he said. The final straw was her request in December for more concessions on her Brexit deal after telling them she knew it was the best agreement she could get.
Her chats on the sidelines of the summit with some of her counterparts Sunday and Monday were functional and businesslike, a second official said. Nothing illuminating was reported from the discussions because May didn’t say anything illuminating, the official said." https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ad-may-didn-t-shoot-herself-in-the-foot-again
Her people say she managed to secure a 30 min with Tusk on the periphery of Sharm El Sheikh. I accept it wasn’t over at the perimeter fence but I bet 30min was an...ahem...generous rounding up.

The odious Nadhim Al Zahawi is on Newsnight saying a second referendum “would unleash forces the likes of which we’ve never seen in this country”. Doing a good job of stoking up the far right- he should be careful what he whistles for, the idiot.

I won't get too excited until I know the PV is a 'remain vs leave' question not a 'Tory s**t-show Brexit vs Labour magic Brexit'.

Her people say she managed to secure a 30 min with Tusk on the periphery of Sharm El Sheikh. I accept it wasn’t over at the perimeter fence but I bet 30min was an...ahem...generous rounding up.

The odious Nadhim Al Zahawi is on Newsnight saying a second referendum “would unleash forces the likes of which we’ve never seen in this country”. Doing a good job of stoking up the far right- he should be careful what he whistles for, the idiot.

Yeah, I witnessed the vile piece of shit but I was cheered by the fact that he seemed rattled and a bit desperate.

I won't get too excited until I know the PV is a 'remain vs leave' question not a 'Tory s**t-show Brexit vs Labour magic Brexit'.
Nah, they won't make that mistake again. It will be May's deal or no brexit. Anything else is just too dangerous to trust the ****wits of this country with.

More on May's u-turn here:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1100160590637604864

I note in particular "PM not ruling out No Deal next month willingly. She’s been convinced that it’s now the only way she can stop Remain ministers passing Cooper-Letwin, which is viewed in No10 as “catastrophic”. Which is some excellent opposition from Yvette Cooper despite there being literally nothing anyone could have done.

Nah, they won't make that mistake again. It will be May's deal or no brexit. Anything else is just too dangerous to trust the ****wits of this country with.

One problem is Labour is so riddled with gammon there is a very real prospect a PV won’t even get through the house. There are a lot of Labour MPs who have very publicly stood against a second referendum.

One problem is Labour is so riddled with gammon there is a very real prospect a PV won’t even get through the house. There are a lot of Labour MPs who have very publicly stood against a second referendum.
Are you saying...it's not as simple as Corbyn giving his backing? That the numbers might not be there?

Why didn't he see this coming, the old ____!

Are you saying...it's not as simple as Corbyn giving his backing? That the numbers might not be there?

Why didn't he see this coming, the old ____!

It doesn’t stop him making the argument. You are happy to go on about “Blairites” and sneer at Umunna, Berger etc, yet those are the ones who eventually had the conviction to stand up and do the right thing. Corbyn has been hiding under his desk from the largest post-war issue facing the UK for fear of upsetting repugnant isolationists like Mann, Stewart, Hoey etc. That is not leadership!

" TELL THEM AGAIN!" is a very powerful slogan so I would not count my chickens. Having said that as fiddledidee says 'at least its an informed vote.' Besides I look forward to plenty of of frothing at the mouth and, hopefully, having a stroke from the leave hardcore.
ajuo2g.jpg

It doesn’t stop him making the argument. You are happy to go on about “Blairites” and sneer at Umunna, Berger etc, yet those are the ones who eventually had the conviction to stand up and do the right thing. Corbyn has been hiding under his desk from the largest post-war issue facing the UK for fear of upsetting repugnant isolationists like Mann, Stewart, Hoey etc. That is not leadership!
The important difference isn't between conviction and manoeuvring (putting aside the ludicrous notion that any of those ballroots other than Berger is actually acting out of conviction). Umunna and his ilk play power games for power's sake. A responsible, principled parliamentarian plays them to accomplish something worthwhile. I have no problem at all with Corbyn's manoeuvring over Brexit, which is purely a strategic matter. Where there's a principle at stake it's different and you have to draw a clear line regardless of the lay of the land. This is why members rebelled over the handling of the immigration bill. But even so the idea that you can just argue your way to a solution, without regard for the forces in play - I think that's what you like to call 6th form debating club politics. If the goal is to stop a Tory Brexit he's going the right way about it, and if he'd argued for a PV from the outset I suspect May's deal would be a lot closer to passing than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back