advertisement

New tv recommendations ?

48C1 is still £899 at John Lewis with 5yr guarantee. You need to register as a member and use code LGOLED at checkout.
I was tempted, but SWMBO says my toy budget is shot already with new headphones..:(

why, nowt compares to a cinema screening for me. box set series from/on tv do not work imo, prefer a feature film with a matinee screening, one of the better sides of retirement

48C1 is still £899 at John Lewis with 5yr guarantee. You need to register as a member and use code LGOLED at checkout.
I was tempted, but SWMBO says my toy budget is shot already with new headphones..:(

The thing that's holding me back from buying the 48C1 at John Lewis is that last night/early this morning it was £799 using the same code. They kept the code in place but whacked the top price up by £100. I know I don't have access to a time machine but I'd still feel a little hard done by if I paid £899 having just missed the £799 deal by an hour or so lol

IME (up to 55” in a fairly small room) there’s no such thing as a TV that’s too big, just a TV that seems enormous for about a week until you’re used to it. And then anything smaller looks like a toy.

That’s definitely been the case for me since moving to what then seemed like an obnoxiously large 32” years ago.

John Lewis have pulled the plug on the £899 deal for the 48C1 as the discount code LGOLED no longer works. I was swithering about just biting the bullet and buying one at that price or holding out for a deal closer to £800 so that's that decision made for me: I'm holding out for a better deal around Christmas/New Year :)

I'm still waiting on a good deal for the LG OLED48C14LB but I just thought of something quite relevant to the TV's capabilities: how good is the TV likely to be at upscaling SD and HD content to 4k? I've got about 30 DVDs and 30 blu rays (not counting a handful of boxsets) so I guess what I'm really asking is should I buy a 4k UHD player as well and replace some of my DVD and blu ray content with 4k versions?

I don't really fancy buying the same content all over again just for the sake of it but if the difference between upscaled 4k and 4k on disc is huge then I suppose I should, at least, when it comes to the content that simply demands the upgrade due to having markedly superior visuals. My AV and stereo system are joined at the hip via pre-outs from my AVR whereby my Tannoys are the front speakers for both AV and hi-fi playback so I've got an extremely engaging setup on the sound front, I'm just not sure how far I need to go when it comes to improving the visual experience.

I just crumbled and cashed in my John Lewis price match offer for the OLED48C14LB. My price match offer expires on Sunday and although I might get a better price than £900 around Christmas/New Year, I'm fed up constantly waiting and watching for a better deal. Just give me the TV and let me get back to watching stuff again.

hope you got the 55", you know it makes sense, and 55" is way better than smaller at 4k.

hope you got the 55", you know it makes sense, and 55" is way better than smaller at 4k.

I plumped for the 48" option. It's coming on Thursday so it won't be long before I find out whether I made the right call to abort the 55" purchase. Fingers crossed I'm right!

I'm minded that, as is much in life, size is everything in TVs. Unless one is long-sighted, of course, so I hope you haven't been short-sighted in your choice, as it were. :) My sister/br.-in law wanted to replace their 37" with a 49" and couldn't understand why they should have gone further. Luckily I persuaded them to go for the 55" Sony. Haven't heard a peep since !

Last edited:
I am not sure I have got this right but I had heard that since leaving the EU, the UK has reset the electrical appliances energy classes. The previous system was getting rather messy with 'AAA++++++++'.

Not quite. Since the UK left the EU, the EU reset its electrical appliance energy classes to remove the multiple A+ categories. The UK has adopted these new ratings directly into its labelling, but with a Union Flag at top left because that’s the amount of control the UK now has in defining these regulations.

how_to_recognise_energy_labels_focus_article.jpg

Since the UK left the EU, the EU reset its electrical appliance energy classes to remove the multiple A+ categories.

Not sure why the EU would adopt the American corruption of 'litre' unless this was aimed at that market. ('Volume expressed in liters')

Not sure why the EU would adopt the American corruption of 'litre' unless this was aimed at that market. ('Volume expressed in liters')
They don’t. The offending spelling is on an explanatory illustration, not the official labels (detailed here: New energy efficiency labels explained (europa.eu) ). There’s no text in any identifiable language on the label itself. The English-speaking nations in the EU all use British spelling for this unit.

However, many who learned English as a second language in Europe will have been taught American spellings. I can only assume that this is where the misspelling came from.

The English-speaking nations in the EU all use British spelling

Thanks for that. Originally, and still, a French word . The British copied, naturally.

However, many who learned English as a second language in Europe will have been taught American spellings. I can only assume that this is where the misspelling came from.

Sorry, Kris. As one who has taught English to thousands of Europeans (in England), I don't buy that, esp. as I assume it's 'litres' throughout Europe unless there's an ethnic/linguistic variation further east, maybe. Would course books be in American English or British English? I would guess the latter. In Oz, NZ, China/Taiwan etc., it's a different kettle of fish.

Last edited:
Not quite. Since the UK left the EU, the EU reset its electrical appliance energy classes to remove the multiple A+ categories. The UK has adopted these new ratings directly into its labelling, but with a Union Flag at top left because that’s the amount of control the UK now has in defining these regulations.

Excellent, thank you for that. I didn't think it would have been all that straight forward.

Thanks for that. Originally, and still, a French word . The British copied, naturally.

Sorry, Kris. As one who has taught English to thousands of Europeans (in England), I don't buy that, esp. as I assume it's 'litres' throughout Europe unless there's an ethnic variation further east, maybe. Would course books be in American English or British English? I would guess the latter. In Oz, NZ, China/Taiwan etc., it's a different kettle of fish.
Germans I worked with frequently used American spellings and some American terms, but this was in Bavaria, which has strong links with the US. In this specific case, incidentally, "Liter" is how Germans (and Dutch, Swedes, Danes) spell the word in their own language, so it's easy for it (either deliberate or as a typo) to slip through into English text. Spell-checkers generally recognise both variants.

Is impossible to make a rock-solid assertion about which English dialect is taught in the 24 countries that don't speak it as a first language. I do notice a tendency toward American spellings in the ex-soviet countries, though.

(I worked for several years in scientific research, on EU-funded programmes; these are all documented in English, so you get a good sampling of how formal English is written in different countries...)

English people always make a big fuss about seeing American spellings, but frankly the differences in English across the Atlantic are the most minor of all the languages. Even French is more divergent; and Spanish and most especially Portuguese can present readers of the opposite version with real difficulties in comprehension.

advertisement

Back