advertisement

New tv recommendations ?

I worked for Rediffusion TV and ITT KB, CVC5 and CVC 8 chassis.

Philips g6 g8, Pye 71, Grundig, lots of others most I have forgotten about.

I started after collidge and after about a month I was alone fixing all the sets and serving in the shop.

Pete

English people always make a big fuss about seeing American spellings, but frankly the differences in English across the Atlantic are the most minor of all the languages. Even French is more divergent; and Spanish and most especially Portuguese can present readers of the opposite version with real difficulties in comprehension.

Interesting, Kris. There are as many differences in cross-channel pron. as in spellings and, as you say, not a great divergence in either. Your comparison comment on French, Spanish and Portuguese is something I didn't know but can understand, esp. as those three had empires, two of which preceded the British one.

The dropping of the 'u' ( or/our) by the Americans is actually, I believe, more accurate to C18th and previous English; the 'u' was added here in the early C19th. I'm afraid, though, that I cannot abide the dropping of French derivation pron's. One particular favourite is 'route'. They can suffer a complete rout whilst looking for an escape rout (pron.). What is wrong with the differentiation of 'root' and rout' sounds?

Sorry, but you've ignited my pedant hat after merely smouldering for a while.:D

It took me a long long time to warm to OLED but having purchased the LG 77CX I couldn't be happier. The prices have tumbled across the range and would love the 48" version to replace my computer monitor, they are all really impressive. LCD tech has also improved
providing you avoid the edge lit versions and provide a brighter picture (I find the OLED perfect but its not in a really bright room). I talked my son out of an OLED because his kids are always leaving static images on the TV (pausing, end of recordings, games etc) and
OLED's are more susceptible to image retention.

We went from a 47" Plasma to a 65" OLED the difference is night and day.

My mate over in Coatbridge just made the jump from a 10+ year old Sony LCD (top of the range at the time) to an LG OLED65C14LB and he and his wife and kids all say the difference in picture quality is massive, the increase in size notwithstanding. Even if I've made a blunder and cancelled the great deal I had for the 55" version, I'm pretty sure the 48" one will still look excellent. Just one sleep to go... :)

I’ve had a few goes at finding a replacement for my ancient Pioneer Kuro, the LG65CX finally managed to more or less equal it for movies last year. Just swapped the 65 to the bedroom and put a 77C1 into the main AV system, really happy with it. Rumour has it Samsung and maybe even Sony are going OLED next year and LG will release a 97”, might have to get the measuring tape out :)

It turns out the BBC have some 4k content available to stream via iPlayer. I have zero 4k content and zero access to 4k content otherwise - although I do have a 4k Fire Stick Max - so I'm looking forward to taking some actual 4k content for a test drive. 4k content:
  • Showtrial
  • Wonders of the Celtic Deep
  • The Trick
  • The Earthshot Prize: Repairing Our Planet
  • Ridley Road
  • Vigil
  • 9/11: Inside the President's War Room
  • The Pursuit of Love
  • Blue Planet II
  • Attenborough's Life in Colour
  • Black Narcissus
  • Doctor Who: Revolution of the Daleks
  • Dynasties
  • His Dark Materials
  • A Perfect Planet
  • The Queen's Christmas Broadcast
  • Seven Worlds, One Planet
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/features/uhd-connected-tv/#/Notification

It turns out the BBC have some 4k content available to stream via iPlayer. I have zero 4k content and zero access to 4k content otherwise - although I do have a 4k Fire Stick Max - so I'm looking forward to taking some actual 4k content for a test drive. 4k content:
  • Showtrial
  • Wonders of the Celtic Deep
  • The Trick
  • The Earthshot Prize: Repairing Our Planet
  • Ridley Road
  • Vigil
  • 9/11: Inside the President's War Room
  • The Pursuit of Love
  • Blue Planet II
  • Attenborough's Life in Colour
  • Black Narcissus
  • Doctor Who: Revolution of the Daleks
  • Dynasties
  • His Dark Materials
  • A Perfect Planet
  • The Queen's Christmas Broadcast
  • Seven Worlds, One Planet
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/features/uhd-connected-tv/#/Notification

Apple TV 4K (21) is brilliant OP, especially the wild life documentaries, there's one about how the animals recovered their homelands when the lockdown forced people to stay indoors.

The Year Earth Changed

https://www.apple.com/uk/tv-pr/originals/the-year-earth-changed/

Netflix is meant to be excellent for 4K stuff etc think you have to go for the premium sub but you can always take it for a month to check it out (I don't have it BTW) and Amazon Prime is also very good as is Disney + I believe.

Interesting, Kris. There are as many differences in cross-channel pron. as in spellings and, as you say, not a great divergence in either. Your comparison comment on French, Spanish and Portuguese is something I didn't know but can understand, esp. as those three had empires, two of which preceded the British one.
For an idea of how French people view Canadian French, I recommend the French spoof spy-show Au Service De La France (on Netflix), which gets great mileage out of the opaqueness of the Quebecois dialect in one episode. It’s not as bad as made out there, but French friends tell me it just sounds really odd. In terms of the written word, though, the two languages are very close, with only a couple of word-choices marking them out.

Spanish is very widely spread, but is mostly mutually intelligible, although South Americans much prefer Mexican to Castilian (European) accents when there’s a choice. As for reading, spelling is the same, but an Argentine colleague tells me that while he can read a Spanish broadsheet paper like El País, he would find some of the choices of verbs and phrasing to be strange compared to how the same story would appear in a Buenos Aires-based newspaper. If you’re careful, though, you can write in a neutral, “Universal Spanish” that is acceptable anywhere, but you really can’t use that for more than functional writing like instruction manuals or notices.

Portuguese is the tricky one. The language and vocabulary are actually closer than the two Spanish regions, but Brazilian Portuguese developed very different pronunciation to its European parent, and unfortunately those differences have been codified into the official Brazilian spelling. So, for example: the word for “fact” is facto in Portugal but fato in Brazil, reflecting these different pronunciation, and that’s just one of thousands of similar changes. You cannot write text that will suit both Brazilian and Portuguese readers, but the people from the two countries can converse as easily as Spanish and Latin Americans can.

Yes, this is another past-life, this time, working in software localisation.

The dropping of the 'u' ( or/our) by the Americans is actually, I believe, more accurate to C18th and previous English; the 'u' was added here in the early C19th. I'm afraid, though, that I cannot abide the dropping of French derivation pron's. One particular favourite is 'route'. They can suffer a complete rout whilst looking for an escape rout (pron.). What is wrong with the differentiation of 'root' and rout' sounds?
Dictionary-publisher Noah Webster is responsible for the u-dropping in American English, and the promotion of the word “thru” (well, it’s a word in American English at least). Some of his more outlandish suggestions (“masheen”, “ake”, “sley”, “dawter”, “wimmen”) thankfully didn’t catch on.

As for -out-, Canada adds more fun by going with us on “rout” and “route”, but striking a third-way on “out” and rhyming that with “about”, but not “stout”.

There are some anomalies in British English: a router, when it’s a carpentry tool, rhymes with “doubter”, but a router, when it’s a piece of networking equipment, rhymes with “hooter”.

Sorry, but you've ignited my pedant hat after merely smouldering for a while.:D
And yet the song goes ‘Get your kicks/On Route 66’, not ‘Rout 66’. These are deep waters.

As an American, I'm pretty certain we don't drop the "e" from "route".

rout - a crushing defeat
rout - to cut with a router
route - the way you get somewhere

Pretty sure that one's the same on both sides of the ocean, no?

As for -out-, Canada adds more fun by going with us on “rout” and “route”, but striking a third-way on “out” and rhyming that with “about”, but not “stout”.

Depending on which part of Canada you're talking about, that could be "aboot" or "aboat"...

There are some anomalies in British English: a router, when it’s a carpentry tool, rhymes with “doubter”, but a router, when it’s a piece of networking equipment, rhymes with “hooter”.

Well, English have to have the greatest number of origins in spellings and pron. 'OUGH' is a classic example and I had many lesson sheets for those frustrated students.

And yet the song goes ‘Get your kicks/On Route 66’, not ‘Rout 66’. These are deep waters.

Well, so it does, Joe. Linguistic cat among the pigeons time? Somehow, 'rout' 66 just sounds crass ! Maybe His Bobship was more refined, coming (I think) from the northern states bordering Canada.

As an American, I'm pretty certain we don't drop the "e" from "route".

rout - a crushing defeat
rout - to cut with a router
route - the way you get somewhere

Pretty sure that one's the same on both sides of the ocean, no?

No. On the Eastern side of the Atlantic, those are pronounced “raut”, “raut”, and “root”, respectively.

Although I think you have cleared up the reason why the carpentry tool is so pronounced: It routs wood, rather than allowing you to cut along a route.

No. On the Eastern side of the Atlantic, those are pronounced “raut”, “raut”, and “root”, respectively.

We have both pronunciations for "route". It's not even a regional difference, people use them almost interchangeably. I've never figured out a consistent rule for it. You might even hear them both in the same sentence - "Meet me at the intersection of 'rowt' 9 and 'root' 66."

but quantum dot isn't OLED
Will QD-OLED actually improve on regular OLED?

If you haven't heard of QD-OLED before, don't worry. This new TV tech is still in development and has been for years now. The important thing to know is that QD-OLED (also referred to as quantum OLED) is Samsung's big TV tech successor to its standard QLED displays.

It's best to think of QD-OLED as a hybrid of both OLED and QLED display tech, bringing you the best bits of each in a dream display. So, in theory, you'll get OLED's high contrast capability and QLED's fantastic color enhancement, among many other benefits.

advertisement

Back