advertisement

New tv recommendations ?

petespeed

Hi guys
I’m after a new decent tv , got an old Samsung that’s doing great but I’m after something bigger for front room , don’t want too spend mega money , anyone recommend a model please?
Ideally have Amazon,Netflix ect on it , or am I better staying with fire stick
Thanks Pete

More info needed for folk to give you recommendations. Budget, Size and what is your priority viewing, someone with a XBoxX or 4K UHD player would need a different/more expensive set to someone who watches a lot of Sky or Freeview standard def.

Bargain wise the Hisense range along with Samsung have a number of really good sets. Maybe this Hisense 55U7Q would suit should be about £500.

AVForums has a lot of reviews, the LG 48 OLED is a brilliant all rounder but maybe over budget, black Friday this week so bargains will be around
https://www.avforums.com/reviews/lg-c1-oled48c1-4k-oled-tv-review.19187

I'm hoping that the 85" Sony will be cheap next year, currently c£2k. You can get a decent 75" for c£1.3k.

Going big i'd stick with 4k Ultra HD at least.

They all seem smart these days.

I expect to buy an LG OLED48C1 this week. The TV recently dropped in price to £899 but I'm gonna hold out for a better deal, like £799. If there's no change in price on Black Friday I'll probably just pony up the £899 buy one. The 2021 LG C1 TVs appear to be pretty good and at the right price, pretty good value for money as well.

I'm hoping that the 85" Sony will be cheap next year, currently c£2k. You can get a decent 75" for c£1.3k.

Or a perfectly watchable 75” for under £750. Astonishing. You take your eye off the market for a few months, and you can’t believe the prices.

Affordable 85" flat screen TVs? Wow, that's amazing. Mind you, I don't have space on any wall for anything bigger than a 55", unless I put it on the wall going up the stairs. That might be a bit inconvenient.

I expect to buy an LG OLED48C1 this week. The TV recently dropped in price to £899 but I'm gonna hold out for a better deal, like £799. If there's no change in price on Black Friday I'll probably just pony up the £899 buy one. The 2021 LG C1 TVs appear to be pretty good and at the right price, pretty good value for money as well.
I bought an LG OLED55 a couple of years ago - just in time for the pandemic - it has been excellent. It has all the built in apps you could want, and they get updated fairly frequently. Very pleased.

I’ve just bought the 77C1 might be here today, there’s a shoot out arranged by Philips over on AVForums, blind test between their set, Sony, Panny and LG. I’m only worried out filmmaker/cinema performance so the LG was my choice, might have gone Panny this time if they did a 77. I'm moving the 65CX into 5he bedroom, it’s been an excellent set and has all the Apps you could want and updates are regular. The Panny in the bedroom has had very few updates and the Apps are lacking.
https://www.avforums.com/news/philips-oled-tv-shootout-at-abbey-road-studios-the-results.19300

OLED screen if you can afford it is highly recommended. I also would suggest an external box for streaming services, I use an Apple TV 4K with great results.

Also budget for a sounder, the Sonos Beam I have is super, compact and has room tuning feature that appears to work.

The screen in my avatar is a 55" Panasonic OLED TV and I would not change it for anything else.

I’ve just bought the 77C1 might be here today, there’s a shoot out arranged by Philips over on AVForums, blind test between their set, Sony, Panny and LG. I’m only worried out filmmaker/cinema performance so the LG was my choice, might have gone Panny this time if they did a 77. I'm moving the 65CX into 5he bedroom, it’s been an excellent set and has all the Apps you could want and updates are regular. The Panny in the bedroom has had very few updates and the Apps are lacking.
https://www.avforums.com/news/philips-oled-tv-shootout-at-abbey-road-studios-the-results.19300
Is a blind test for TVs a good idea?

Sit closer

Or move the TV closer, as I do. Once upon a time, it was easy; Sony all the way, but now that mine is over 10years old, I think I'm going to have problems replacing it. LG used to be second rate but I gather they're up there nowadays. I'd lose my RCA line outs, and that would be hard to take.

Always useful and interesting, these TV replacement threads, but I wish I understood some of the technology now applicable, For the first time ever, it'd have to be a retailer installation for senile citizens like me.

Bear in mind that the latest Sony OLEDs do not as yet, have all the catch-up channel apps. Last year, it was LG that took a while until all the apps were available, this year the same issue is affecting the Sony’s. I guess at some point they will all come on stream, it’s just a matter of when.
It seems bonkers to release a product without all the catch up services available & I guess it’s down to licensing issues?
That aside, LG Sony & Panasonic all do superb OLED tv’s. LG’s tend to be a bit cheaper like for like, the Pana’s were a bit late to launch this year & so are still priced a bit higher than an equivalent Sony or LG.
I’d also factor in a decent soundbar, such as a Sonos, so that the sound is as good as the picture.

The Sony XR ranges use the entire screen as a speaker so may suit if you want a clean looking install. I’ve always used surround amps/speakers but the clutter isn’t for everyone and a soundbar is a good compromise, the SONOS Arc is very good but a bit spendy, the Beam is better vfm.

Bear in mind that the latest Sony OLEDs do not as yet, have all the catch-up channel apps. Last year, it was LG that took a while until all the apps were available, this year the same issue is affecting the Sony’s. I guess at some point they will all come on stream, it’s just a matter of when.
It seems bonkers to release a product without all the catch up services available & I guess it’s down to licensing issues?

Hence my use of a 4K AppleTV for catchup services as well as all the usual on demand stuff, less load on TV and no delays with updates.

We have the LG OLED and this Hisense. The LG OLED has a better picture, but I could live with the Hisense. Years ago when LED Tvs were terrible, It would have been a different story. That's why our previous TV was a plasma, because I couldn't stand cheaper LCD/LED at the time (2012 IIRC).

I’d also factor in a decent soundbar, such as a Sonos, so that the sound is as good as the picture.

Makes me wonder how many hifi aficionados run their TV sound direct through their amp (s), as TV sound has been crap since whenever (CRT was better but only just).

Makes me wonder how many hifi aficionados run their TV sound direct through their amp (s), as TV sound has been crap since whenever (CRT was better but only just).
All you need is to make sure the TV has Toslink out (most do) and use a cheap DAC like the Maplin or Fiio and you can use it into an Aux amp input, assumes the TV is located more or less in the middle of your speakers, a balance control obvs works if it’s offset.

Another vote for the LG OLEDs. The C series are the best value of their bunch with a great picture, decent sound and the most up to date connectivity (HDMI 2.1).

advertisement

Back