advertisement

New tv recommendations ?

Lidl advertising a Sharp 65" Ultra HD 4k for £449, 42" for £259 from 26/11.

They often don't have much stock but you can always pick up some cooking wine as consolation.

I'm far from an expert but my understanding is that it's all about HDR and brightness, 1000 nits or about that level, some of those cheaper sets can't display HDR properly or indeed not at all so you really have to do your research.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it
^^^ Exactly, it’s a marketing thing, having HDR and all the bells and whistles means nowt if the Panel and CPU/DSP engines are crap or under powered. You have to spend a fair bit to get a really good set that does justice to the new high res content. Good thing is these days you don’t have to rely on a monthly mag or the WH Smith Saturday extended browse, ‘tis all out there on websites like AV Forums.

Watch out for the LGs labelled LA and LB, for some it just means the stand is a different shade of silver on a few B=USB Time Shift Recording cos it has 2 triple tuners not 1.

I was aware of the cosmetic difference and that the LB version doesn't support WISA (a recent wireless audio option for connecting speakers without wires), but I wasn't aware of differences concerning tuners and recording. Can you please describe the differences in more detail, and which version is better equipped, the LA or the LB?

I'm far from an expert but my understanding is that it's all about HDR and brightness, 1000 nits or about that level, some of those cheaper sets can't display HDR properly or indeed not at all so you really have to do your research.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it
It's more complicated than that. Samsung achieve HDR range by going very bright when needed. My TV never has strong daylight and my lighting not that bright, so that just does not work for me.
I prefer brands that can display dynamic range close to black.

On mine, the in-store price at Costco (a membership discount warehouse store) was hundreds less than the price advertised online. I also discovered that a 65" TV box would fit flat in a VW Golf, but I had to tie down the rear hatch.

My TV was £1800 last month then Philips had a 'promotion' which reduced the TV by £500 and the retailer I bought from had a £100 voucher available so that brought the price down to £1199 which is frankly a complete no brainer for a 65" OLED TV from a major brand like Philips.

I was aware of the cosmetic difference and that the LB version doesn't support WISA (a recent wireless audio option for connecting speakers without wires), but I wasn't aware of differences concerning tuners and recording. Can you please describe the differences in more detail, and which version is better equipped, the LA or the LB?
The LA lets you attach a USB disk but is limited to chase play, the LB has another triple tuner so lets you time shift recordings like a PVR.

The LA lets you attach a USB disk but is limited to chase play, the LB has another triple tuner so lets you time shift recordings like a PVR.

Cheers, Gus. I've never owned a PVR before so time shift was new terminology for me. The only thing I watch on TV these days is Formula 1 highlights so I'll probably never use the feature. Still, good to know the LB has that option :)

is there any point in buying a TV if that's all you watch?

I've got a blu ray player and some DVDs and blu ray content, plus I occasionally watch stuff on iPlayer. But yeah, as for my live usage, it's literally Formula 1 or nothing. Oh, I usually dip my toes into Olympics coverage when it's on; in fact, I reckon the last time I watched something live on TV that wasn't Formula 1 highlights was during the Olympics. Suffice to say, if Formula 1 highlights disappear from terrestrial TV then I'm cancelling my TV license!

Maybe a bit off-topic, but as I was looking for a new TV I noticed that all present models are energy-class F or worse. How is that possible? And what are class A TV's then? I would expect newer TV's to use less energy, not more...

Don't bother with TV. Got much better things to do than watch the crap that's aired these days.

I was getting close to buying an LG OLED48C1 this week but I think I just discovered that these TVs come fitted with a moulded 3-pin plug, is that right?

This is bad news for me as the tube I plumbed into my brick wall years ago is too narrow for a plug to go through it. I can get all sorts of cables through no problem, HDMI, Optical, TV aerial etc, but a plug? No chance.

I'd either have to leave the power cable running up the outside of the wall or snip off the plug and fit a new one once I've pulled the cable through the tube, but you can be sure that doing that would void any warranty. I suppose I could do the latter once the warranty is up but as I'd almost certainly be buying from a retailer that offered an extended warranty, well that's a long time to leave the power cable in view when every other cable is out of sight.

Does the 48C1 really come fitted with a moulded 3-pin plug?

advertisement

Back