advertisement

New Technics owners - anyone missing the sound from their old belt drive

I have a Stanton ST.150, that I bought on the advice of a dealer, when I was going to buy a Technics. I bought it mostly for plying old 45's, but I have modified it somewhat, and it will now take other arms (the Stanton arm is rubbish), so maybe I should put it through its paces?

Have owned several Garrard 301s, 401s, a Gyro SE, Thorens TD-125, Technics SP-10 and others I’ve long forgotten, and remain very happy with the SL1200-G. It’s very accurate, which some might not enjoy, but I haven’t felt the need to upgrade to anything else or tweak it since buying it. Not a deck to buy if you like faffing about with gear, but as a fit and use solution it’s perfect. It’s remained 100% reliable too (touch wood!).

There seems to be quite a few people who have migrated to direct drive on here recently, particularly thinking of the new Technics models, GR, G etc.

I had one here briefly, although it had to go back due to warped platter, which all got sorted out nicely by the way.

Of course, whilst it was here I did give it a quick listen. Totally stock except an ADC magnesium head shell with an AT100E cartridge.

To be honest, I thought it sounded a bit flat with most music. Dancey stuff with driving beat was a different story, but then I perhaps found it a little too much for a relaxing listen. Great for a party though.

I put the belt drive Thorens back in and didn't notice any difference with Piano, speed stability none of the usual complaints. There were less gaps in the music also, the music flowed out of the Thorens more naturally.

Am I missing something, I see lots of reports about how delightful they are to use, but what about the sound?

Out of interest - how long did you demo it for ?

I can't work out how a belt drive can have 'less gaps in the music' than a direct drive? :)

I hate describing these things. DD was just more stop start in the bass regions, the belt drive having more of a over hang in the bass. The over hang could be interpreted as better flow by some I guess.

Quite amused by people buying a fit & forget DD deck only to modify it. Technics are missing a trick here.

I thought Technics supplied the SL-1200 in without-arm configuration since the early 1970s. The SP10 and 15 varieties can even be supplied without plinths. I think there were even a variety of Technics mats. The deck was always intended as an audiophile deck, and I seem to recall quite a few sported contemporary SME arms. The arm base is clearly designed for promiscuity. It only developed the fit-and-forget association because it was so rugged that DJs loved it.

An SL-10 with the 310MC and in-built phono stage is fit and forget. Another awesome deck.

Current mat is 3mm thick RGS0008 replaced old version SFTG172-0

There was a thicker mat back in the day RGS0010 - 6mm

For me the mastering trumps all else.
The best master, converted to lossy 256 AAC played via the headphone output of your smartphone will completely spank poorer masters played on the best vinyl front end.
That aside, the best vinyl front ends succeed by gently bathing the music in a mix of euphonic 'enhancements'.
Vinyl is a pretty lossy medium when all told.

A huge number of the "best digital masters" involve using the "euphony" of soft clipping extremely expensive ADDA converters. It apes the softening of transients in a similar manner to how tape reacts.

I don’t have measurements but I would imagine the Gyro is accurate enough in terms of rotational accuracy, I owned one for years never heard an issue, so perhaps different not better.
Keith

Gyro vs GR - so many variables you’d need to demo both and see which you like the best, using the same cart/stage. I have the Gyro SE and 1200G, if I had to choose the Technics would probably remain.

I’m hoping to change my gyrodec for a GR. worth doing you think?
Own both and I think a lot would depend on the arm. With a good arm I'd take the Gyro, I think; with something very basic probably the Technics. In terms of sound AA's right, you'd need to hear both, but I wouldn't expect a big jump in SQ going from Gyro to GR unless you're especially sensitive to what direct drive does well.

Usability may also be a factor: we got the Technics to replace the Gyro in a 2nd system where the main thing was to have a good, neutral-sounding source that didn't require any faff with clamps and so on.

I found the Gyro a little fiddly to use and setup (mainly due to the suspension). I expect the GR to win out on long term maintenance and usability.

I’m hoping to change my gyrodec for a GR. worth doing you think?

I haven't heard the GR so not sure how close it gets to the performance of the G. For me the Gyro sounded great but I just love the rock solid presentation of the 1200G. I also got irritated by the "whooshing" noise of the motor on the Michell.

advertisement

Back