advertisement

New Technics owners - anyone missing the sound from their old belt drive

…..not aimed at you specifically, but at all acolytes of belt…..it technically makes no sense and being an audiophile is about detail and accurate reproduction.
Is it though? Who decided that your definition of what matters in music reproduction is the only valid one?

Yes, the LP12 is a terrible design. Which probably explains why it was commercial disaster.
Shame you only quoted the first line of my post and missed off the emoji. I was not being serious, and don't forget I owned and enjoyed one for many years. It was only when I stuck the Linn's arm into an unmodified Lenco that I realised there was more to life, but that's my own personal journey. Linn have done incredibly well, and wouldn't have the success with other products they have had if it wasn't for the reputation they built with the LP12. It's a truly iconic deck. Who is to say I have parted with them for life?

I'm just fascinated that the 3 spring suspension might not be necessary, is all. And that it's not Linn themselves who seem to have discovered it.

I'm just fascinated that the 3 spring suspension might not be necessary, is all. And that it's not Linn themselves who seem to have discovered it.
Necessary for what? Linn didn't invent the three-point sprung suspension but they made it work better than anyone else had up until that point and created something which is still considered special today.

I know your comment was tongue in cheek.

If being an audiophile is about accurate reproduction then none of us would own TTs. The idea that one form of drive is inherently better makes no sense to me. I’ve never felt the pitch or stability was ever ‘off’ with my LP12.
Some folks seem to like imagining things. The pitch stability of my LP12 is as good as that of my Rega Saturn Mk3. At least to my old lugs…

I just don’t get this obsession with belt drive?!?…..sure, it’s warmer and more romantic sounding, but the pitch is ALWAYS off!….and that’s at any price level in my findings. If you’ve got incorrect speed/wow and flutter, you are not listening to true reproduction.
*Cough* Rega *cough*

I’ve only had one DD deck - a well fettled Technics 1210 with KAB damper fitted to the standard arm and upgraded external power supply. I ran various cartridges.

This was a deck that never truly engaged with me somehow. I admired it more than liked it. I found belt drive decks more enjoyable to listen to - I even preferred a humble AR EB101 that I had in the house at the same time while I fitted a new cartridge to it for a friend.

advertisement

Back