advertisement

New Technics owners - anyone missing the sound from their old belt drive

I’ve got a hybrid belt/idler, an idler, and 2x direct drive turntables. I haven’t even heard two of them!

I have 2 belts drives and had two direct drIves but I sold one and kept one. I never play it though.
Both direct drives sounded more like poor CD players than record players. 🤷‍♂️
I would love an idler but only on one condition.
I can’t stand those huge bloody plinths, I really can’t.
Tony, your TD124 is my dream turntable, but as I can’t afford one I will stick with my trusty pre cirkus LP12. lol

Set up a Technics SL1200MK7 for my neighbour Christmas Eve with the accompanying Ortofon 2M Red and was surprised as to how good it sounded - bit weird it did not come with a hinged lid.......

Putting the very lightly tweaked SL1200MK2 back into service this week with an Audionote Arm1v2 and cheapo MM cartridge to put in the lounge system.:)

🎅

I’ve got a fishing line drive WT Amadeus and a DD in a sealed box. I don’t think fishing line drive counts as a belt drive. I must get that Technics out of the box in 2024 but it feels a bit mad to have two turntables on the go. A bit like “two margarines on the go, a nightmare scenario”.

And you can make a hundred more for pennies. Actually, since I have two systems in one I'd really like another TT - a Simplex - but there's nowhere to put it.

Too bad ditching the springs on the LP12 wasn‘t an option for you.
I prefer having decks which were designed properly from the off. 😂

OK kidding. But I do find this phenomenon with the springs fascinating. I really should hear an LP12 of similar spec to my own sans springs and compare to my Garrard, Lenco and Technics.

I prefer having decks which were designed properly from the off. 😂

OK kidding. But I do find this phenomenon with the springs fascinating. I really should hear an LP12 of similar spec to my own sans springs and compare to my Garrard, Lenco and Technics.
Hardtail LP12 here as well. Wouldn’t go back to springs for love or money.

I just don’t get this obsession with belt drive?!?…..sure, it’s warmer and more romantic sounding, but the pitch is ALWAYS off!….and that’s at any price level in my findings. If you’ve got incorrect speed/wow and flutter, you are not listening to true reproduction.

I don't have an obsession with belt drive. I have an obsession with owning hi-fi I like the sound of.
…..not aimed at you specifically, but at all acolytes of belt…..it technically makes no sense and being an audiophile is about detail and accurate reproduction. When it comes to belt drive, however, audiophiles get misty-eyed.

If being an audiophile is about accurate reproduction then none of us would own TTs. The idea that one form of drive is inherently better makes no sense to me. I’ve never felt the pitch or stability was ever ‘off’ with my LP12.

advertisement

Back