advertisement

New Technics owners - anyone missing the sound from their old belt drive

I’ve just started using another Technics, an SL-7 and it is fantastic.

Had a SL10 with a EPC310MC cartridge, thought it was a very nice sounding unit, and the cartridge was totally amazing (used it on other decks with a p-mount adaptor).

I had an sl10 for about 20 years from the early 80s. I was moving around a lot and it seemed practical.

I'd pretty much given up listening to LPs, though, towards the end. A colleague asked me to give his Planar 3 a good home, and it spanked the SL10. I sold it.

Pitch perfect hearing here, my LP12 and Rega RP3 were erratic with speed........DD just does not have this problem. Yes, there’s a slight lack of warmth comparatively but it’s a matter of priorities, everything’s a trade-off, and for me the most important element is pitch.
I think that pretty much sums it up for me.

I had an sl10 for about 20 years from the early 80s. I was moving around a lot and it seemed practical.

I'd pretty much given up listening to LPs, though, towards the end. A colleague asked me to give his Planar 3 a good home, and it spanked the SL10. I sold it.

Interesting report. I am skeptical of this. I certainly would expect a well-maintained SL-10 to exceed most belt drive decks in terms of speed stability. Also if the SL-10 arm is in good shape it takes some beating - one of the cleverest linear trackers out there. Did you compare the decks with the same cartridge/phono stage?

Interesting report. I am skeptical of this. I certainly would expect a well-maintained SL-10 to exceed most belt drive decks in terms of speed stability. Also if the SL-10 arm is in good shape it takes some beating - one of the cleverest linear trackers out there. Did you compare the decks with the same cartridge/phono stage?

I bought it new in my "flush" Frankfurt days. :) It as always well looked after. It was used with a number amps, and most in those days had built in phono stages. It did many years of service with a Cyrus One (which I've still got gathering dust). I can't remember which phono stage I was using when the Rega came my way, the little Cambridge, maybe. The cartridge was different, of course, as the SL10 is P-mount. Towards the end of its time with me I stopped using the MC cartridge that came with it news, as I assumed it was getting a bit long in the tooth. It started out in pre CD days, so LP was my main source. I had some kind of Audio Technica cartridge on it later.

It was very useful when I was moving a lot, as it could just be plonked. You could even buy kit to mount it vertically, or wedge supports to make it sit up ! The sound never really enthused me, though.The arm was sticking a bit in its last year with me, but was otherwise fine. The Rega was a revelation.

Speed stability, was, of course great, but as I haven't got Perfect Pitch (unfortunately) I never noticed that the Rega was particularly bad in this respect.

I bought it new in my "flush" Frankfurt days. :) It as always well looked after. It was used with a number amps, and most in those days had built in phono stages. It did many years of service with a Cyrus One (which I've still got gathering dust). I can't remember which phono stage I was using when the Rega came my way, the little Cambridge, maybe. The cartridge was different, of course, as the SL10 is P-mount. Towards the end of its time with me I stopped using the MC cartridge that came with it news, as I assumed it was getting a bit long in the tooth. It started out in pre CD days, so LP was my main source. I had some kind of Audio Technica cartridge on it later.

It was very useful when I was moving a lot, as it could just be plonked. You could even buy kit to mount it vertically, or wedge supports to make it sit up ! The sound never really enthused me, though.The arm was sticking a bit in its last year with me, but was otherwise fine. The Rega was a revelation.

Speed stability, was, of course great, but as I haven't got Perfect Pitch (unfortunately) I never noticed that the Rega was particularly bad in this respect.

Thanks for your thorough response. I have two SL-10s which I don't use as they have sticky arms now and I haven't got round to trying to lube them.

When I bought my first SL-10 a few years ago I was amazed at how good they sound compared to my other decks. That 310MC cartridge is a beauty. Even under a microscope.

I'm curious about what the Rega 3 did that your SL-10 didn't. Can you describe how it was better?

I've had a bunch of highly regarded tables over the years:

- Rega P5
- Well Tempered Amadeus GTA
- Rega P9
- Linn LP12 (with an Ekos, Radikal, and Khan top plate)
- Restored Thorens TD-124 with a 9" Schick tonearm

I now have a Technics SL-1200G that I've fitted with a Jelco TK-850S tonearm (via an Ammonite Audio armboard) and an Auditorium 23 Hommage mat. And for the first time, I have no desire to upgrade anymore, though I'd make an exception if I ever have the funds to move up to the SP10R or SL1000R. This is not to say all my previous tables were bad, but each had their issues. And while my 1200G may not reach the same heights as some of the other tables in certain areas, it does EVERYTHING very well. And I never, ever, have to worry about the speed drifting or any maintenance. And truth be told, I was never a fan of the original 1200 in audiophile settings, but these new models with the coreless direct drive motor are an entirely different beast. So yeah, I'm done upgrading my table, outside of the chance of getting the Reference Technics at some point in the future.

I've had a bunch of highly regarded tables over the years:

- Rega P5
- Well Tempered Amadeus GTA
- Rega P9
- Linn LP12 (with an Ekos, Radikal, and Khan top plate)
- Restored Thorens TD-124 with a 9" Schick tonearm

I now have a Technics SL-1200G that I've fitted with a Jelco TK-850S tonearm (via an Ammonite Audio armboard) and an Auditorium 23 Hommage mat. And for the first time, I have no desire to upgrade anymore, though I'd make an exception if I ever have the funds to move up to the SP10R or SL1000R. This is not to say all my previous tables were bad, but each had their issues. And while my 1200G may not reach the same heights as some of the other tables in certain areas, it does EVERYTHING very well. And I never, ever, have to worry about the speed drifting or any maintenance. And truth be told, I was never a fan of the original 1200 in audiophile settings, but these new models with the coreless direct drive motor are an entirely different beast. So yeah, I'm done upgrading my table, outside of the chance of getting the Reference Technics at some point in the future.

says a lot!

regarding maintenance, compared to say...a Rega...the motor seems more complicated in a Technics. Are they more reliable? Cheaper to replace? (it wouldn't seem that way but I don't know much about that).

do you have a photo of your 1200G with the Jelco? (edit: found one on this page https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product/technics-sl-1200-armboard-jelco-fit/)

says a lot!

regarding maintenance, compared to say...a Rega...the motor seems more complicated in a Technics. Are they more reliable? Cheaper to replace? (it wouldn't seem that way but I don't know much about that).

do you have a photo of your 1200G with the Jelco? (edit: found one on this page https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product/technics-sl-1200-armboard-jelco-fit/)

Here's mine, fitted with a Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue:

uSTAo2P.jpg

Thanks for your thorough response. I have two SL-10s which I don't use as they have sticky arms now and I haven't got round to trying to lube them.

When I bought my first SL-10 a few years ago I was amazed at how good they sound compared to my other decks. That 310MC cartridge is a beauty. Even under a microscope.

I'm curious about what the Rega 3 did that your SL-10 didn't. Can you describe how it was better?

I have heard many Rega decks P(lanar) 3, P6, P5, P7 and P9. I think it is just a matter of which type of presentation you prefer, but for me I prefer the Technics to the lesser and mid-range Rega decks.

What mat is that? I get terrible static with the stock and thick Techy ones, the Oyaide as well. Funk is much better but still get a few crackles taking off an LP.

It's the Auditorium 23 Hommage mat. It's a rigid, rubberized felt material. Pretty much static free and never sticks to the record.

Here's mine, fitted with a Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue:

In many ways the SL1200G and TK850 Jelco arm, great though they are, might be considered to be of quite humble stock compared to the noble blood of that Koetsu cartridge. The fact that this works as an ensemble, tells me that the SL1200G and TK850 both punch above their weight class.

Glad to hear that this combo works well together, and pleases your tastes. Certainly looks good to me !!

Yep, looks great indeed
Total price must be on the high side as original 1200G tonearm can't be an easy sell I presume.
I would have loved that solution myself however settled on a standard GR.
A TK850 might be a good investment after Jelco closed down.

"Anyone missing the sound from their old belt drive"?

Yes, I was and recently went back to an LP12 (Cirkus, Valhalla, Rega RB300 rewired) with the same cartridge that was on the Technics GR, an AT33 PTG2.

Yes, the Technics is almost certainly better in terms of all the technical HiFi specs, some of which you can certainly here, i.e. bass more defined and punchy, quieter background etc.

However, my listening room is just off the kitchen. At night when the kids come in to make drinks or whatever and clatter about, it never really bothered me too much. Now, aaaarrrrh it's so flipping annoying, they break the spell the LP12 is putting on me. It's very noticeable! I love listening with it.

At night when the kids come in to make drinks or whatever and clatter about, it never really bothered me too much. Now, aaaarrrrh it's so flipping annoying, they break the spell the LP12 is putting on me.
That's a good way of describing the effect of the LP12 and I totally agree with it. I find exactly the same thing. Of course the rest of the system has to be able to carry the 'spell' too but the LP12 is the best turntable I have heard in this regard. It draws you into the music in a way others don't.

My wife knows not to come into the room if I'm playing music at 'proper' listening volume! I don't take it well. I remember one time in particular I was listening to a piece of classical music and she walked in and asked me some banal question just as it was getting to the climax. Afraid to say I spoke harshly to her.

With other sources you're listening to the music. With the LP12 you're in it. I think it's a combination of factors, some of which you can identify and some you can't, but it just gets the balance right. I've had and heard other turntables which beat the LP12 in technical areas but none that envelop you in the music as well.

advertisement

Back