advertisement

New Technics owners - anyone missing the sound from their old belt drive

Amber, can you hear any wow issues with the Gyro compared to the Technics?
Keith
No, never noticed or picked up on wow/speed/pitch issues with the Gyro, owned it a long time and had it fully serviced last year when I put a PU7 on. I do have the HR PSU which is worth the bucks. Either deck is fantastic with a decent cart and a bit of careful setup/tweaking.

My old PT used to fluctuate noticeably before I changed out the PSU/motor due to poor mains, so I know what it sounds like.

As someone with a house half full of Quartz Locked Direct Drive turntables, I have to say I've never found any issues at all with the speed stability or low frequency performance of my own Gyro SE. In addition, whilst it is fiddly to set up, it doesn't go 'off-tune' or require its suspension setup regularly checked like....er....certain other suspended decks we know and love! ;)

However, for the ultimate in forget-and-enjoy performance, it's difficult to top a Technics.

Anyone using a Tenuto mat on their 1200G or other Technics? Seems to weigh rather a lot, wondered if it would impact on the stability or longevity of the deck.

I’m hoping to change my gyrodec for a GR. worth doing you think?

No, I wouldn't.

I ran a Gyro for many years. Superb deck and a GR doesn't better it IME.
No it doesn't have the propulsive bass power and solidity of the GR but it does sound very expansive and finely layered - it's top class in these areas.

Different animals.

Quite amused by people buying a fit & forget DD deck only to modify it. Technics are missing a trick here.

:)

The current models address the need to replace the feet, these are now redesigned and very effective.
The arm has also been improved - lovely low friction play-free bearings and a beefed-up bearing structure.
The old PSU is now screened smps and so eliminates the transformer buzz some complained about and which spawned external PSU boxes.

If you want to shape the sound, play with headshells, mats and carts.

There have been at least a couple references to the Technic's prowess with dance music and/or bass and I have to wonder if that isn't just a prejudgment/bias based on the SL-1200MKII's popularity with DJs. Of course, the 1200 wasn't popular with DJs because it had a good bass response. It was popular for the practical reasons that it was built like a tank and the direct drive stop/start response was great.

As a completely unrelated aside, you will all cringe at the thought that in all my years DJing, I never saw anyone make any adjustments to the 1200, e.g. VTA, before starting their set, self included. Fit your cartridge, put down your first record, drop the needle and go.

The current models address the need to replace the feet, these are now redesigned and very effective.
The arm has also been improved - lovely low friction play-free bearings and a beefed-up bearing structure.
The old PSU is now screened smps and so eliminates the transformer buzz some complained about and which spawned external PSU boxes.

Only thing I changed was the headshell and the mat to a thicker one to obtain correct VTA and the interconnect even thought the stock one isn't too bad IMO.

Only thing I changed was the headshell and the mat to a thicker one to obtain correct VTA and the interconnect even thought the stock one isn't too bad IMO.
Likewise messing with various Mats, Shells, Carts and am using a Van Damme Lo Cap tonearm cable.

Not sure why the Technics arms get dumped on as crap, they seem very well designed and manufactured to me, only thing on the GR I don't like is the tonearm lift, it's better on the G but still not up to a "knob feel" video imho.

Anyone using a Tenuto mat on their 1200G or other Technics? Seems to weigh rather a lot, wondered if it would impact on the stability or longevity of the deck.

I had a tenuto on my 1200 but it had the upgraded bearing so I wasn't particularly worried.

Is the bearing improved? The old one looks like a right clunker.

I owned a 1200G for a while along side my LP12 and did eventually sell the 1200G. Before I upgraded my LP12 to the LINGO 4 and karousel I seriously thought maybe I’d made the wrong decision as I didn't feel the L3 offered as good speed stability.

If I bought another 1200G it would have to be I addition the the LP12.

Pitch perfect hearing here, my LP12 and Rega RP3 were erratic with speed........DD just does not have this problem. Yes, there’s a slight lack of warmth comparatively but it’s a matter of priorities, everything’s a trade-off, and for me the most important element is pitch.

I have a friend with a Revolver belt drive and it constantly plays slow and he can’t hear it and is in 7th heaven! What’s really interesting is that his deck seems to be revolving perfectly accurately at 30rpm and all the music played, has dropped an octave!

advertisement

Back