advertisement

New Coltrane: A Love Supreme Live In Seattle

Have you you read the Lewis Porter bio? I read a bunch of Coltrane bios a few years back but missed that one and trying to decide now if it's worth the investment. I've read elsewhere that it discusses his LSD use.

Yes, Porter's biography is the best one I've read, although I think the great Trane biography hasn't been written yet.

Very excited about this, and it comes out on my birthday! I have the french concert on CD, but haven’t got round to listening to it yet. This seems like it might be better quality.

Looking at the pre-order really emphasises the expense of vinyl over CD. Really puts me off getting another turntable, unless finances greatly change.

Om is certainly an experience. I’m sure I’ll listen to it again one day, but I doubt it will be any time soon.

It's funny - these are things I urgently want to hear but feel ambivalent about buying. I picked up Both Directions at Once and Blue World and played each one twice. My curiosity was satisfied but, if I want to play Coltrane, I tend to reach for ALS, something from the Heavyweight Champion box or The Village Vanguard set. I

want to hear this recording but am not sure I'll shell out £30+ for something that's likely to quite quickly become shelf filler.

That said, if I hear it and am blown away ......

Om is usually thought to be under the influence. The Seattle gig was recorded at about the same time and both have that 'LSD feel'.

I must revisit Om. I have a Impulse /ABC copy I bought in the early 80s when I was first getting into Trane but has not played it much over the years.

Listening to Sun Ship with the old quartet, superb.

Then Stellar Regions with Alice and Rashied Ali, a whole new ballgame. There is a resolution with this and is his last studio recordings along with Expression. This music attracted me in the sixties and has never faded..

I'm not impressed by the youtube excerpt, and will give this a miss. I rarely listen to A Love Supreme anyway, and don't understand why it gets so much attention. Om, Meditations, Sun Ship, Ascension, Interstellar Space, and some of the live recordings with endless variations of 'My Favourite Things' are what interest me. Oh, and the posthumous Cosmic Music with Alice Coltrane is also excellent and shows where his music might have gone if he had lived longer.

Agree with the pro-Alice sentiments here, have to say, ALS not really number one for me either. But will still be getting this.

That's the thing about these grossly overhyped "previously unreleased/unavailable" recordings of seminal artists. Typically they were unreleased for good reason, e.g. a work in progress or inferior music that the artist never intended to have released in the first place. Often they aren't better than what is already available or do not really reveal anything new or interesting. Music companies are just opportunistic in putting these things out. They are fine for academic interests or for those completists who must have everything... I see no reason to buy them but I do make the odd exceptions like the Miles bootleg series.

It's funny - these are things I urgently want to hear but feel ambivalent about buying. I picked up Both Directions at Once and Blue World and played each one twice. My curiosity was satisfied but, if I want to play Coltrane, I tend to reach for ALS, something from the Heavyweight Champion box or The Village Vanguard set. I

want to hear this recording but am not sure I'll shell out £30+ for something that's likely to quite quickly become shelf filler.

That said, if I hear it and am blown away ......

I think this has historical importance because it was previously unknown to exist, and the only other live recording of ALS is not the greatest quality.

ALS has never been one of my favourites either, although it has fantastic moments. Crescent from the same period is a far superior record IMO. Having said that, everything about Trane's music is transitional, which is why you have to listen to all of it.

I need to qualify my comments; they should have been prefaced by "generally"...I've not heard this new release and so have to reserve judgement. But any live Trane performance is worth listening to, as they provided him the freedom to fully improvise and explore his ideas rather than being confined by the limits of an LP or two.

Having just listened to a release of Live at the Half Note, the performance of One Up, One Down is incendiary and indeed revelatory.

My first encounter with 'Trane was Coltranology V1 - A recording from Sweden in 1961 featuring Eric Dolphy. It contains what is still my favourite version of My Favourite Things. It's not by any means a great recording. I've since got a supposedly remastered version on the 4 disc So Many Things which documents that tour but doesnt sound any better.

I still need convincing that Coltrane ever played better than when he was next to Dolphy but it might be first love thing.

The point being that I'm always intrigued by new, previously unreleased 'Trane just in case it has something of that quality on the tapes but, more often, its a couple if listens then file. Or, in the case of Olatunji: The Last Live Recording, half a listen then file.

I am not sure what people are referring to when they talk about the other, ropey/substandard French live recording of ALS. I am assuming it’s the July 1965 performance at Antibes. My cd, part of the deluxe ALS reissue, sounds very good indeed.

I do really like ALS but probably don’t listen to it that much, it’s an effort & I have to be in the mood. I do like his 50s work & Crescent is great, a real bridge to his later work.

I don’t particularly enjoy free form Jazz so tend to stay clear of it. A lot of these great ‘discoveries’ often disappoint.

BBC radio 3 J toZ played Psalm from the Seatle recording today.
Sound quality OK on par with with Live in Seatle.
I would say the Psalm part played was only the quartet.

I liked it and will buy the recording (CD version I recon).

Bill

advertisement

Back