advertisement

New Coltrane: A Love Supreme Live In Seattle

I walked into town to pick up a copy today. It's definitely worth having - my initial reservations about yet another lost tape masterpiece were dispelled in minutes. It's powerful stuff with some amazing playing and Elvin Jones drum barrage at the end of side 2 is incredibly dynamic for a relatively low fi recording.

Wow, was uncertain about how good this would actually be. But on first listen, it’s an incredible addition to the canon.

I’ll leave more detailed descriptions to others, more articulate than me. But if you’re in any way a Coltrane fan, this is essential.

Just given it a play. It is very good, but a rather unfortunate stereo mix with McCoy Tyner way off on his own on the right with everything else over on the left. It starts very gently and builds up to some pretty out there parts, a fair number of drum solos etc. It is considerably extended, and with better more powerful sound it would be incredible. Definitely worth having and better than the previously available live version IMO as it just goes further out.

Just two good mikes, aparently, into an Ampex. The club owner seems to have been a recording enthusiast. Micallef's review is outstanding...

I do enjoy Ken M’s record reviews, he’s put a whole series of digs through his record collection up recently and he’s got a load of really nice stuff and an interesting take on it.

Thanks for sharing the youtube review - I am not that bothered if it's a vinyl or CD I get unless the CD does not come with the liner notes, which sound really good and worth getting physical media for.

The CD comes in a tri-fold card sleeve with a typical stapled booklet. If your eyes work properly, which is debatable in my case, you will be able to read the considerable notes. I haven’t yet as I need my other glasses…

Looking forward to hearing this live Album!

I watched the Chasing Trane documentary the other night, his peers and his children discussing him and his music was very illuminating, i think if i had to pick one album it would be A love Supreme.
I love the later wilder music he made, it's coming from somewhere else entirely!

The tailwinds were from Africa
The bass and force were timeless rhythms
That restructured beat and consciousness
The chasms between seconds
Were made real and whole
New targets imploded within the void
Holes were punctured through ebony nothingness
And resistance increased, walls appeared
Rise up Trane, the answer is just beyond the next wall
Rise up Trane, the answer is just beyond the next wall
The Trane rose up!

Gil Scott Heron-...And then he Wrote Meditations

The CD comes in a tri-fold card sleeve with a typical stapled booklet. If your eyes work properly, which is debatable in my case, you will be able to read the considerable notes. I haven’t yet as I need my other glasses…
I'm going to get the CD - is it possible for you to create a pfm Amazon US link?

Ordered - had to change .co.uk to .com in link, but hopefully that still means it supports pfm

I like the 'soft start' and the lack of singing. Accompanying notes are superb. He is obviously breaking away from the classic quartet and heading towards the Alice, Sanders and Ali quintet, which I love.

I like the 'soft start' and the lack of singing. Accompanying notes are superb. He is obviously breaking away from the classic quartet and heading towards the Alice, Sanders and Ali quintet, which I love.

Yes, I particularly like the beginning too. I like the way Coltrane voices a scale that the piece is based on with the other musicians also setting the scene, very much like an Alap in Indian classical music.

Just gave the CD its first spin and I'm not sure what to think.

Like many other people here, I'm a big Coltrane fan. A bit unusual as a fan perhaps, in that I'm not that interested anymore in his early Columbia/Riverside/Blue Note/Miles Davis period (with the exception of what he did in Blue Train). I rarely ever listen anymore to Giant Steps and My Favourite Things. I find his tone on soprano in My Favourite Things unpleasant, and I prefer other tenor saxophone players in the hard bop canon. I'm also not particularly interested in what he started doing from Ascension onwards, with the exception of Stellar Regions, which by the way has his talented wife as a pianist but no Pharoah Sanders.

But what he did for Impulse with Garrison/Elvin Jones and especially Tyner (whom I adore) has some of my favourite music of all times, regardless of genre. The following are all equally extraordinary for me: Live at Birdland, Live at the Village Vanguard, Africa/Brass, Crescent. The studio version of A Love Supreme tops them all, with the first part of the suite, Acknowledgement, having an almost trance-inducing effect on me (same effect I get with one of the renditions of 'Machine Gun', Fillmore East, Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys).

Anyhow the above just to tell you where I'm coming from. I like John Coltrane 'out there' but with his classic rhythm section still providing that pulse we all know of.

Now this record - it's a first listen but it all sounds too... Loose. I know, they are searching, experimenting, and it's a live recording. But Acknowledgement didn't go anywhere for me. I just listened to all of it two times. And that's where I stopped. No visceral reaction sadly.

Also, normally I wouldn't care about sound quality considerations for a live recording of this vintage, but I have to agree with other people here in that the mix is off. I'm listening with what I believe are fairly neutral studio headphones (Beyerdynamics DT250) and Coltrane's phrasing is completely buried in the left channel, overwhelmed by the (beautiful) work of Elvin Jones and by a bunch of random people hitting on cowbells, with one of the two bass players playing bowed stuff which I found distracting and frankly cheesy. McCoy Tyner is all the way to the right. The real problem is not the absolute sound quality, which is great/dynamic/etc, but the fact that Coltrane sounds like an old uncle murmuring something about the War by the fireplace while everyone else is having Christmas Dinner. Such a shame. Listen to Live at Birdland, how he comes in after Tyner's solo in Afro Blue. Goosebumps! This is some of the most hypnotic soprano sax playing of all times for me. There's a sense of urgency, a raw power that I've come to associate with his music that is completely missing in this live rendition of Acknowledgement.

So essentially I miss the focus, the spiritual agenda so to say - and the directed energy from the studio recording. Might keep trying, perhaps the recording has more to offer.

Last edited:

Like many other people here, I'm a big Coltrane fan. A bit unusual as a fan perhaps, in that I'm not that interested anymore in his early Columbia/Riverside/Blue Note/Miles Davis period (with the exception of what he did in Blue Train). I rarely ever listen anymore to Giant Steps and My Favourite Things. I find his tone on alto in My Favourite Things unpleasant, and I prefer other tenor saxophone players in the hard bop canon. I'm also not particularly interested in what he started doing in Ascension and after, with the exception of Stellar Regions, which by the way has his talented wife as a pianist but no Pharoah Sanders.

But what he did for Impulse with Garrison/Elvin Jones and especially Tyner (whom I adore) has some of my favourite music of all times, regarding of genre. The following are all equally extraordinary for me: Live at Birdland, Live at the Village Vanguard, Africa/Brass, Crescent. The studio version of A Love Supreme tops them all, with the first part of the suite, Acknowledgement, having an almost trance-inducing effect on me (same effect I get with one of the renditions of 'Machine Gun', Fillmore East, Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys).

Anyhow the above just to tell you where I'm coming from. I like John Coltrane 'out there' but with his classic rhythm section still providing that pulse we all know of.

Now this record - it's a first listen but it all sounds too... Loose. I know, they are searching, experimenting, and it's a live recording. But Acknowledgement didn't go anywhere for me. I just listened to all of it two times. And that's where I stopped. No visceral reaction sadly.

Also, normally I wouldn't care about sound quality considerations for a live recording of this vintage, but I have to agree with other people here in that the mix is off. I'm listening with what I believe are fairly neutral studio headphones (Beyerdynamics DT250) and Coltrane's phrasing is completely buried in the left channel, overwhelmed by the (beautiful) work of Elvin Jones and by a bunch of random people hitting on cowbells, with one of the two bass players playing bowed stuff which I found distracting and frankly cheesy. McCoy Tyner is all the way to the right. The real problem is not the absolute sound quality, which is great/dynamic/etc, but the fact that Coltrane sounds like an old uncle murmuring something about the War by the fireplace while everyone else is having Christmas Dinner. Such a shame. Listen to Live at Birdland, how he comes in after Tyner's solo in Afro Blue. Goosebumps! Screw My Favourite Things, this is some of the most hypnotic alto sax playing of all times for me. There's a sense of urgency, a raw power that I've come to associate with his music that is completely missing in this live rendition of Acknowledgement.

So essentially I miss the focus, the spiritual agenda so to say - and the directed energy from the studio recording. Might keep trying, perhaps the recording has more to offer.
Thanks for that detailed and v personal review. Much food for thought. I’m “building up” to listening to it…

I rarely ever listen anymore to Giant Steps and My Favourite Things. I find his tone on alto in My Favourite Things unpleasant, and I prefer other tenor saxophone players in the hard bop canon.

Listen to Live at Birdland, how he comes in after Tyner's solo in Afro Blue. Goosebumps! Screw My Favourite Things, this is some of the most hypnotic alto sax playing of all times for me.
Thanks for your review, but I assume you just made a mistake saying Coltrane plays Alto. He of course plays Soprano Sax and Tenor on these recordings you mention not Alto and that does have a completely different tone.

I'm personaly still coming to terms with this live version of ALS having listened to the studio version for over 50 years as probably my all time favourite jazz record. I need to listen a few more times before commenting in greater detail. I have purposely avoided this thread and the reviews since release till now, but have just viewed Ken Micallef's YouTube review that while enthusiastic is also seems very well reasoned. I have the 2xLP's version and it only has a couple of 'ticks'. I'm not particularly bothered by the left right balance spread of instruments in stereo as mentioned above as I can hear the room ambiance across the whole soundstage. I did though play 'Psalm' with my mono cartridge and somehow it it seemed to get closer to the spiritual nature of the musicians playing. I need to play the whole set a couple more times in both mono and stereo I think. I also may go for the CD to see if the mastering to LP is any different. Has anyone compared? Also to try as Graham suggested possibly removing the interlude tracks.

Thanks for your review, but I assume you just made a mistake saying Coltrane plays Alto. He of course plays Soprano Sax and Tenor on these recordings you mention not Alto and that does have a completely different tone.

Apologies - of course - thanks for spotting that. Fixed in my original post.

John Coltrane did of course start his playing with Alto in high school after starting on Clarinet and he did play it intermittently up till about 1952 and again very briefly with the Gene Simmonds All Stars around 1958. He then played it again briefly towards the end of his life after he was given a Yamaha prototype to test by them in 1966 that he played in some sets on the 1966 Japanese Concert Tour. It is on one of the recordings from that tour and I think possibly also on a version of Interstellar Space released after his death.

advertisement

Back