advertisement

New Coltrane: A Love Supreme Live In Seattle

LP arrives today, looking forward. Resisting temptation to listen on Spotify for some reason.

Just given it a play. It is very good, but a rather unfortunate stereo mix with McCoy Tyner way off on his own on the right with everything else over on the left. It starts very gently and builds up to some pretty out there parts, a fair number of drum solos etc. It is considerably extended, and with better more powerful sound it would be incredible. Definitely worth having and better than the previously available live version IMO as it just goes further out.

I'm playing it at the moment. It sounds pretty good in mono. Slightly rough 1965 recording, but plenty of heft going on.

Just got back home from seeing a British Museum exhibition and found the Amazon deliverer had had thrown the box with my double LP copy over the fence from abou 15 feet away according to my neighbour who offered to take it in for me, but was refused. Luckily it seems to have survived this OK. Probably no chance to give it a spin till tomorrow now.

CD - but having heard how the audience reaction disrupts continuity I don’t think you’ll be missing out much flipping four sides of vinyl. IMO the continuity between the four main parts is not as much an issue here as with the studio recording. Besides, each part is also divided by an interlude or two. Next time I listen I might delete the interludes, see how that works.

There is some great playing here and moments of pure alchemy. I’m particularly taken with the super natural intuition evident in Part 1. No wonder Coltrane paid for the recording of the Seattle gigs out of his own pocket.

Just given it a play. It is very good, but a rather unfortunate stereo mix with McCoy Tyner way off on his own on the right with everything else over on the left.

These things tend not to bother me too much but I do wonder why it wasn't narrowed a bit in mastering.

I might rip it and de-stereo-fi it a bit with Flux Stereo Tool.

It really is incredible music and I’m having no trouble forgetting about the odd stereo presentation. Don’t mind it being broken up by the side changes either because it’s very intense, full-attention music: I’m appreciating the occasional break!

advertisement

Back