advertisement

New Coltrane: A Love Supreme Live In Seattle

I'm personally still coming to terms with this live version of ALS having listened to the studio version for over 50 years as probably my all time favourite jazz record.

I'm seeing them as two different things. Like you, ALS is one of my absolute favourite records which I've been playing for 40 years. There's nothing that could improve it.
I see the live record more as a live document / documentary on Trane's journey. As such its of intellectual interest as well as being a recording of a powerful, vibrant performance. After a few listens, though, its not going to come close to replacing, equaling or adding to ALS. It does, though, add something to the overall enjoyment and understanding of Trane's work.

Agree the original album version is irreplaceable for me too. Controversially in the live versions from Seattle and Antibes I miss the opening section chants and I'm not sure that JC is "reading" his 'poem' text with his horn either like he does on the original studio end section.

This version is interesting as he conceived of ALS with more than one sax originally and the Seattle version is a larger group (heading towards Ascension ideas~?) - but the takes with Shepp from the original session were not used and there had been many that thought they heard more than one sax in the final 'Amen' at the end of the fourth section.

Listening to Sun Ship with the old quartet, superb.

Then Stellar Regions with Alice and Rashied Ali, a whole new ballgame. There is a resolution with this and is his last studio recordings along with Expression. This music attracted me in the sixties and has never faded..

Stellar Regions is my favourite, then Expression, then VV, then ALS.

My current Amazon Prime Free Trial period finishes on Friday. Seemed a good excuse to buy... two button presses later and it will be here tomorrow. No will power, but I knew that. Always nice to hear the Radford playing a recording of a similar vintage.

Another new Coltrane in Seattle released this week. This time at ‘The Penthouse’ recorded 30th September 1965.

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/john-coltrane-at-the-penthouse-in-seattle/851723-01/

There is a Sound clip on Juno Records.

I'd be a bit wary of this Jim - the date is the same as the original Live In Seattle LP and while the track times don't exactly match they are pretty close.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2259812-John-Coltrane-Live-In-Seattle

I wanted to give this a second go tonight - it really is great stuff. I like the meandering Part 1 with percussion noodlings, and love the furiously out there soloing on Part 2 and Tyner’s extraordinary playing on Part 3. Admittedly it tails off then, with 10 minutes of bass soloing (roughly ten minutes more than strictly necessary) and a rather lacklustre Part 4. But to compensate, Elvin’s tom-tom thrashings throughout are exactly why big Tannoys were invented. Probably heretical, but I think I’ll play this more often than the original.

advertisement

Back