advertisement

New Coltrane: A Love Supreme Live In Seattle

Excellent, when I first read it had been unearthed I was expecting some crap quality audience bootleg, but that sounds very good, and in stereo! I’m in.

Affiliated Amazon link here which will certainly be cheaper for Prime members plus you get to play the ‘pre-order sweepstakes’ and it could end up cheaper again!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
No info on the mastering on the Impulse website. Not part of the Verve AS reissues, probably part of the 60th Anniversary series. I suspect that in that case it will have a digital step so will not be AAA. Let's hope the tapes are in good condition and they make a good job of it.

Ordered - I though the ropey French gig was the only live performance so excited to find out about this - thanks PFM!!

Will be interesting to hear how this new live version of A Love Supreme expands on the studio version.

Am slightly apprehensive as the original Live in Seattle is not an easy listen. It’s even more out there than Live in Japan.

Here's the tape - intriguingly marked both #1 and #5. Could there be more...?

Tape005.jpg

Obviously 7”, but what are we guessing for speed? Half or quarter track? 7.5ips half-track hopefully!

PS I stuck an order in for the vinyl yesterday, but I’m tempted to change to the CD as I think I’d prefer this one without any side changes to better preserve a whole gig feel.

Edit: yes, I’ve done just that. CD pre-order here.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Am slightly apprehensive as the original Live in Seattle is not an easy listen. It’s even more out there than Live in Japan.
The scariest record I own. I bought it as a 15-year-old and listening to it was a bit like trying to absorb the knowledge of the Krell. Fortunately (for me) it didn’t have quite the same effect, but I think I played it about three times and gave up in shock. It still lives in the back of a cupboard somewhere in one of the cobwebbier wings. One day I might go in search of it.

According to those in the know, the band dropped acid for the first time the day they played the gig that ended up as the Live in Seattle record.

Did that become a thing at all? It never even occurred to me that there might have been a ‘chemically enhanced’ element to the later free jazz stuff.

According to those in the know, the band dropped acid for the first time the day they played the gig that ended up as the Live in Seattle record.

Om is usually thought to be under the influence. The Seattle gig was recorded at about the same time and both have that 'LSD feel'.

Not a great advert for acid if my memory is to be trusted (and I admit it rarely is) - all I can remember nearly fifty years after last listening to it (hold on, that can’t be right... oh, hell it is...) is a lot of wailing and yelling and a feeling that Johnny Mercer definitely didn’t write that bit.

Interesting. Om is one of the few albums I haven’t got or even heard. I need to read a proper biography of Coltrane as much of his life is a mystery to me. I just know the music and have made my own likely entirely incorrect suppositions as to meaning/intent etc, e.g. I’d always assumed the later really extreme free jazz stuff was a man staring impending death in the face and coming to terms with things spiritually, but I have no idea how long he knew he had terminal liver cancer etc. I’m likely entirely wrong, but it has such a visceral power to it that it has to come from somewhere. I’d not even considered hallucinogenics!

Most of the biographies beatify post-heroin Trane and don't delve too much into the psychedelic aspects of his later music, they want him to remain pure and godlike. But acid was legal, and ubiquitous, so it would be amazing if he hadn't used it. And I think aspects of his later music are hard to understand without it.

advertisement

Back