advertisement

Name Dropping.

I enjoy name-dropping, it usually leads to an interesting conversation.

The earliest instances I have are probably long forgotten (I once met Wendy Craig) but I have played golf with Charlie Williams. ( a very nice man) I lost, but won at the same time.

I have also had dinner with Dianne Lee... as in Peters and Lee. ( a less than wonderful experience, but I smiled through it) Lennie Peters was the one with a singing voice, my impression was that Ms. Lee was 'easy in the eye,' but not on the ear.
I was once sick on Will Self's shoes at a party.

I once flogged a pair of pilot sunglasses to Bruce Dickinson at an aviation show. Everybody remarked about how cool I'd been while dealing with him, until I told them I hadn't recognised him until they mentioned it.

I went to the same school as Peter Beardsley.
I once had a slash at the same time at the urinals with Sean Ryder in Dry Bar.
Mick Hucknall attempted to chat up my girlfriend in the International I.

Brilliant!

Outside Granada TV land no one knows who you’re talking about.
On the same subject went to school with Bob Smithies daughter who also got us into the Factory Records office. Also known as Bunthorne the Guardian crossword complier.

I went to the same school as John Lennon (Quarry Bank). He left five years before I started.

So is Jack Barron someone famous then?

A Man in Black?

An agent in the Matrix?

I need to know

My links to even slightly well-known people are tenuous. My father worked at the same factory as Nigel Blackwell's mum, for example. Elvis Costello's father went to the same school as me. That type of thing.

I am tenuously related to Johnny Ball and therefore Zoe. Specifically, Johnny's father's brother in law was my great uncle William Henry Wright. Apparently I met Johnny a few times as a child when my great aunt Alice was alive, although I have no recollection.

Now this is so tenuous that I would not normally mention it, but Zoe Ball did an interview with Bolton Evening News claiming the story of William Henry and his brothers (i.e. my grandmother's brothers) four of whom were killed in WWI, including 2 at the Somme as part of her family history. This was mildly annoying as her relationship to the Wright family is by marriage only and tenuous at that whereas I grew up with my my Gran and her sister Alice who were siblings of the war hero brothers.

And talking of my late Gran, she was famous in our family for having boo-ed Ghandi. She told us this story of how he came to Bolton and she and her co-workers in the mill boo-ed him in a sort of "You took our jobs!" sort of way. I was sceptical of this story ("Ghandi came to Bolton? Yeah, right, Gran.") but apparently he did and it's all true.

I also live in the minor sleb part of North London and regularly see all manner of famous people although I only recognise them if I with my sleb spotting friend (whose daughter recently beat Betho Orton's daughter in the sack race).

I also live in the minor sleb part of North London and regularly see all manner of famous people although I only recognise them if I with my sleb spotting friend (whose daughter recently beat Betho Orton's daughter in the sack race).

When we lived in That South London we saw some slebs. The one I remember best is Glenda Jackson, pushing a trolley round Sainsbury's with that 'I know you know who I am, but I don't want to chat with you or give you my autograph' look on her face.

My Grandfather was a friend and colleague of T E Lawrence, having met him in Cairo when they were liaison officers involved in the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire. He also rode a Brough Superior which he bought from Lawrence.

advertisement

Back