advertisement

Name Dropping.

Well here is good one, but documented.

King Harald Fairhair, 850-932, King of Norway is my direct thirty second great grandfather!

Lot of good that has done me!

Might be useful if I wanted to emigrate to Norway!

Best wishes from George

PS: Also am the 22nd cousin of the last Tzarevich of Russia, via his Danish grandmother.

Delia Smith's a neighbour, and I once paid for Terry Waite's car parking at the local station.

Well here is good one, but documented.

King Harald Fairhair, 850-932, King of Norway is my direct thirty second great grandfather!

Lot of good that has done me!

Might be useful if I wanted to emigrate to Norway!

Best wishes from George

PS: Also am the 22nd cousin of the last Tzarevich of Russia, via his Danish grandmother.

I remember watching a TV programme some time ago that showed how everyone with a European lineage was descended from Charlemagne. It might be a load of old tosh but there was proof was in the maths somehow, which went straight over my head. It was fascinating but love to know if any of the big pfm brains can dismiss the theory or explain it.

Dear Ks,234,

I think there is a certain statistic that shows that twenty generations down in any specific ethnic group and it is likely that you are descended etc. But what strikes me as interesting is not so much that it is likely, but rather when the the documents show it. Of course documents do not allow for cover-ups of out of wedlock sexual exchanges!

What does sadden me is that I am not apparently remotely related to JS Bach. Better than a Norwegian King in my view!

Best wishes from George

My aunt bumped into Paul McCartney in Harrods.

I was taught by George Chisholm; the smoke often used to curl out of his bone as he demonstrated a lick.

Just remembered, we also shared a cigarette with Kevin Ayers in Deia; also sat on the next table to El Cordobes in Zaragoza 50 years ago. He was fairly unimpressive, only recognisable as there was this little short chap in the middle surrounded by his four heavies.

and back in the room.

I did BBC Bargain Hunt Live a while ago, it was just at the turn over with presenters - so the rude and irritating David Dickinson and Tim Wonnacott, who was quite charming. (it must have been his first show ?)
The whole thing was a hoot and we ignored the antiques expert (blonde woman ? Kate somebody?) and did our own thing which the director approved of.
The teams and antique celebs stayed overnight at a country club before the live show the next day. That evening we drank copious amounts of alcohol and had a laugh, the antiques were very chatty.
Doing an hour of live TV was interesting, and I managed to keep a civil tongue. Most of the time my team mate and I were shooting straight-faced glances at each other, whilst trying not to laugh too much, or make any outrageous innuendos. The eyes give it away.
I have to say Dickinson was a massive ego in a large frame and enviable hair. He and I had an argument which included finger-wagging and the phrase "young man." My mate who witnessed the argument still brings it up as the best part of the show (the argument was off-camera)

We picked a 1950's tandem, a large car horn with rubber bulb (who wouldn't?) and a shitty pearl broach which we didn't like but the expert had to say something about something so it seems.

Both teams made quite a bit of money at the auction, the team who took it seriously won by £3. Two women who looked uncomfortable.

Dear Ks,234,

I think there is a certain statistic that shows that twenty generations down in any specific ethnic group and it is likely that you are descended etc. But what strikes me as interesting is not so much that it is likely, but rather when the the documents show it. Of course documents do not allow for cover-ups of out of wedlock sexual exchanges!

What does sadden me is that I am not apparently remotely related to JS Bach. Better than a Norwegian King in my view!

Best wishes from George

You have to stop seeing it as family trees, and start seeing it as a population matrix. The deeper the matrix gets (more generations deep) the easier it becomes to connect any given two people across that depth.

I went on a night out with Stephen Roche & Barry McGuigan in Dublin, I got rather drunk & threw up in Mr Roches garden. He had a very, very nice house in the Dublin mountains. We went to a pub called Johnny Foxes & treated like the celebrities that we were. Barry McGuigan was largely ignored.

You have to stop seeing it as family trees, and start seeing it as a population matrix. The deeper the matrix gets (more generations deep) the easier it becomes to connect any given two people across that depth.
Any pictures???

Any pictures???

Quite possibly my Great, great, great, ............, great grandfather:

48215428586_2a5df1cc03_c.jpg

Absolutely no one, and when I shuffle off this mortal coil, it will be as if I were never here on this Earth at all.

Reactions: Joe

advertisement

Back