advertisement

Name Dropping.

Berni inns! Chicken in a basket!

Pete
Watch it, pal! 20-year old moi fae a Dundee tenement (in 9th most deprived estate in Scotland), along with my girlfriend from Warfield, thought we were living the high life and enjoying utter sophistication!
German, Irish, Scotch coffees rounded off an evening very nicely thank you! I managed to fool her, too. We are still together today. She left her two horses behind for me when I was posted to Scotland.

Those stations on the railway running west from Waterloo, Egham, Staines, VW, etc. meant nothing to me then.
Later, my bro-in-law ('e's from Essex innit!) a trained chef, worked in several pubs in the district with names like those quoted, in the Binfield area, The Jolly Gardner, etc.

To me, who's grandmother worked in a jute mill from 14yo (in 1911) and danced at a young age in a dockside pub for 1/6d, (her father was a whaler), maybe I had made it? Maybe not. I consider my home here as a Stepford.

PS Johnnie Morris visited our workplace to be shown around in the 1960s. Hey, Ratty, big time!

Last edited:
Berni inns! Chicken in a basket!

Pete

Steady on.

I use to work in the "Comedy Bar and Restaurant in Panton St," a Berni Inn just over the road from the Comedy Theatre, West End.

Now known as the https://www.haroldpintertheatre.co.uk/

One morning, Richard Beckinsale "Lennie Gober" 'Porridge' came in for a quick large brandy before rehearsals acting in, "I Love my Wife" at the Prince of Wales Theatre.

So sad he tragically died 2 years later aged 31.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Beckinsale

RIP.

Lady Mary Charteris-Furze, scion of the Guinness dynasty, singer and keyboardist with The Big Pink, DJ, model and all-round, achingly self-confident, 'it-girl' thingy, usually found in exotic locations in the company of the Moss, Delevigne, young aristos crowd.

I know her mum!

Reference my photo 'Drawing Room' in the Photography thread in the Photo room.

I was at University with Eddie Izzard

Eddie Izzard lives a few houses down from me. Saw quite a bit of Eddie in deepest lockdown when the only people we actually met were our neighbours. Very bright and always extravagantly dressed!

advertisement

Back