advertisement

Name Dropping.

Yeah, well...Paul Crone lives on my street and parks his car across from our house. We say hello to each other, sometimes as often as twice a month.

Yeah, well...Paul Crone lives on my street and parks his car across from our house. We say hello to each other, sometimes as often as twice a month.

Brilliant!

Outside Granada TV land no one knows who you’re talking about.

Brilliant!

Outside Granada TV land no one knows who you’re talking about.
What Croney, the Cronester, star of the Cronezone? Surely everyone's in awe of my showbiz contact? OK it's not quite in the same league as having a third cousin who fellated a royal or something, but still, we say hello, hello ffs! - sometimes even just a chummy nod of the heads, which is more meaningful in its casual understated way. Shows we are comfortable in our relationship with each other and there is no need to be formal. I think he might be my best/only friend.

My wife reckons she is related to Freddy Flintoff in some obscure way, but not Mike Atherton (that's her maiden name but he pronounces it wrong). She also says that John Thaw was her Father's illegitimate brother - they certainly looked very alike but I think she's made it all up. Another one jealous of my close friendship with Paul Crone.

My great grandad was Ben Sayers - maker of "possibly the finest clubs in the world". He also taught golf to the Aga Khan, Nancy Astor, etc..

Allan Williams? I used to know him and Beryl when I lived in Liverpool.

Hi Tony Yes It is Allan I was talking about. If I've got this right he was my grandmothers nephew. I'm in the Manchester part of the family. My father used to go over to Liverpool and help his aunts and uncles when they put on dances at local halls in the 50's. I remember telling me that when they used to count up the money after the dance, it went along the lines of "one for us, one for the tax man and one for the sofa"

I'm a distant relative of Adam Woodyat (Ian Beale in Eastenders)

I used to share a flat with Willie Rennie (leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats)

My Mum had a street named after her (She was the first female editor of a local newspaper)

My Grandfather was the driver in the original "Amber Gambler" safety film.

Apparently I'm distantly related to Charles Goodyear, who developed vulcanized rubber

Handy if you're on a phallic spaceship trip

My mother had an uncle who was Lord Provost of Ayrshire, M. Thatcher, via Number 10 office, put him forward for a knighthood even though he was Labour through and through.
An ex of my other half was knighted when he was promoted to his current job but, he blotted his copy book when he upheld the appeal of the rapist footballer last year!

My mother had an uncle who was Lord Provost of Ayrshire, M. Thatcher, via Number 10 office, put him forward for a knighthood even though he was Labour through and through.
An ex of my other half was knighted when he was promoted to his current job but, he blotted his copy book when he upheld the appeal of the rapist footballer last year!

If you are talking about Ched Evans, his conviction was quashed, therefore he is not a rapist.

I enjoy name-dropping, it usually leads to an interesting conversation.

The earliest instances I have are probably long forgotten (I once met Wendy Craig) but I have played golf with Charlie Williams. ( a very nice man) I lost, but won at the same time.

I have also had dinner with Dianne Lee... as in Peters and Lee. ( a less than wonderful experience, but I smiled through it) Lennie Peters was the one with a singing voice, my impression was that Ms. Lee was 'easy in the eye,' but not on the ear.

advertisement

Back