advertisement

Name Dropping.

The first time I saw Tinariwen was on one of those "African Rebels" tours (with the excellent Rachid Taha) at the Butter Market in Shrewsbury. The band's table in the venue was easily identified by the thick cloud of smoke hanging over it. Anyway, I went to the bar got a handful of pints and as I turned away someone knocked my elbow causing a minor spillage. I was just about to say something rude when I realised it was Robert Plant, so I smiled, went back to my table and we put up with short measures.

Any pictures???

OK, not sure if this will help as it’s so simplified:

48215643136_ef02e84c7d_c.jpg

When we lived in That South London we saw some slebs. The one I remember best is Glenda Jackson, pushing a trolley round Sainsbury's with that 'I know you know who I am, but I don't want to chat with you or give you my autograph' look on her face.

I used to see Mike Leigh shopping in Wood Green Safeway's.

Green Gartside used to pretty much live in my local, The (Prince) George in Hackney.

The trouble with the above is that it’s the depth of a “standard” family tree - needs to be huge (and much deeper) to really make the point, and you need to recognise that there are missing/(irrelevant to you and me) branches.

OK, not sure if this will help as it’s so simplified:

48215643136_ef02e84c7d_c.jpg
Yes, I think I see that. I guess there’s also a difference between ‘related to’ and ‘descended from’. We might all be related to Charlemagne, but it’s only me whose descended from him!

I’ve always felt a little french

Yes, I think I see that. I guess there’s also a difference between ‘related to’ and ‘descended from’. We might all be related to Charlemagne, but it’s only me whose descended from him!

I’ve always felt a little french

Not sure if you’re being flippant, or I’ve failed miserably!

“Related to” tends to suggest recent/simple “namable” relationships - mum, great aunt, second cousin first removed...

Descended from might mean great...30 times... grandmother, and simultaneously many other more obscure relationships to the same person (great...30....grandmother/30th cousin 105 times removed). Moreover, most will be most of these relationships to you if you’re looking across 1000 years.

Last edited:
My Grandfather was a friend and colleague of T E Lawrence, having met him in Cairo when they were liaison officers involved in the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire. He also rode a Brough Superior which he bought from Lawrence.

I'm an insignificant nobody, but my Mum worked at Brough Superior during WW2 operating capstan lathes or somesuch. Also, when I was a kid, I could see the roof of the Brough Factory from a local station platform.

I can't think of anyone famous amongst my relatives.. but I was at school with Harold 'Fred' Shipman. Did I ever mention that?

I was also in the same class as Richard (Rik) Kenton.. who was in Roxy Music.. for about 20 minutes.

My Grandfather was a friend and colleague of T E Lawrence, having met him in Cairo when they were liaison officers involved in the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire. He also rode a Brough Superior which he bought from Lawrence.
Did he find the Arabs revolting or did he make them that way?

Quite possibly my Great, great, great, ............, great grandfather:

48215428586_2a5df1cc03_c.jpg
Through bastardy? I’m not aware of any of his legitimate issue producing heirs. The Tudor nut sack was faulty and a Scots git came to the throne after his second daughter vacated it.

..squeezed and then it oozed out... anyhoo, I recall another situation were I was faced with Phil Tufnell, (sportsperson) infact we both took off our shoes and socks, sat on the grass and linked toes. A toe-wrestling demo for the masses, back when I had a reputation to uphold. Multiple camera teams were there, as per usual. The japanese TV crew always looked the most enthusiatic.
Phil was the 'celebrity' at the event, and looked to be enjoying himself, hamming it up for the camera's. I thought he was much older than me, but it turns out he is aboot a year younger (hitting leather with your wood must take it out of you)
I will not divulge my wrestling name, but let it be know I was the first ever competitor to take out Alan 'Nasty' Nash. I still have a laugh with Nasty if I see him about, he still remembers the beating I gave him.
Phil Tufnell entered the comp but got nowhere. He got me a beer which went down well.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I cannot abide cricket.

I once made Patrick Moore a cup of coffee when he visited the university and came to look at our research (VHE gama ray astronomy). He offered us a Sky at Night but my boss was too chicken to take him up on it.

I once made Patrick Moore a cup of coffee when he visited the university and came to look at our research (VHE gama ray astronomy). He offered us a Sky at Night but my boss was too chicken to take him up on it.

Patrick Moore gave our school a lecture on astronomy in 1971. He was the oldest person I had ever seen, I thought he must be about 90. He lived for another 41 years, and was therefore 131 when he died.

advertisement

Back