advertisement

Name Dropping.

Hardly famous but my grandmother looked after the Queen and Queen Mother's pearls. Sometimes took them home (in Peckham!) to work on them. Grandfather was a famous clockmaker, based in Burlington Arcade who was responsible for looking after many famous church/ cathedral/ public building clocks. Every year, he was lauded on the front page of the local paper in Beaumaris. 'Mr Lewis has been called in from London to service the church clock'!
Sadly, the local lowlife in Peckham broke into their flat and stole many thousands of pounds worth of antique clocks. H died not long after.

I know a couple of men who have been knighted. I used to work for one. When I talked to him about another employee who was working with very toxic chemicals without a respirator, his response was "I've told him twice and now I'm supposed to fire him but I need the job done"

The other man's company is often in the news for disputes where employees have been treated unfairly, or somebody has been maimed or killed due to the employer not following safety protocols.

I agree that sometimes the wrong people get recognition.

I know a couple of men who have been knighted. I used to work for one. When I talked to him about another employee who was working with very toxic chemicals without a respirator, his response was "I've told him twice and now I'm supposed to fire him but I need the job done"

The other man's company is often in the news for disputes where employees have been treated unfairly, or somebody has been maimed or killed due to the employer not following safety protocols.

I agree that sometimes the wrong people get recognition.
They'll be "taking back control" shortly, I suspect. :mad:

A distant great uncle's signature appeared on bank notes issued by the national bank of Rhodesia. My wife's sister-in-law's nephew plays for the all blacks. That's about it, to the best of my knowledge.

My nephew had a trial with Macclesfield when he was 13, and apparently, my Uncle Terry was quite notorious round these parts, but I’d rather not talk about it. My mate's a distant cousin of Howard Jones!

According to my Dad, he was responsible for Mark Owen joining Take That instead of continuing his career at Barclays, Failsworth where the old man was manager. Mother taught Vernon Kay, "nice lad" apparently (her code for a bit thick I think).

Never namedrop. Frank Sinatra told me that.

Slightly more seriously... I am (apparently) very distantly and obscurely related to Harry Secombe, George Bernard Shaw and (because of the GBS link) Buffalo Bill and Iain Duncan Smith.

Other claims to fame where I'm not related, include being in the year above now Hollywood star Simon Pegg (I knew him reasonably as we had a couple of mutual friends), and part of his growing up was in the same village as me, I also worked with his cousin for a couple of years. I have met various reasonably well known people over the years, including Ray and Dave Davies a few times, and most recently Ben Collins (racing driver, and driver in the last three James Bond films, also the first white-suited Stig from Top Gear), who is a nice chap. About four years ago I had cause to go to the house of Scott Carson the footballer (ex Leeds United, Liverpool, Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion, Wigan Athletic, Bursaspor, Charlton Athletic, Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper, now at Derby County)

advertisement

Back