Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Name a 'beautiful' amplifier.

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rockmeister, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

Lieberung, JonR and jamesd like this.
  2. HiFiman

HiFiman Don't tell him Pike

Nait 2 the only Naim CB model with an illuminated logo, 33 years old and doesn't look out of place with time.

[​IMG]

JonR, Tigerjones, Rack Kit and 5 others like this.
  3. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Right click on the picture, copy the image link. Come back here, click the icon that looks like a photo of mountains, and paste the link into it:

[​IMG]

mattykyuss, Lieberung, JonR and 2 others like this.
  4. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

Yes always fancied the Lecson myself...
    Off the wall Nytech CA202 or what ever model

[​IMG]

or its younger sister the Nytech / Ion Obelisk 1

[​IMG]

Then there is the Goodmans Maxamp 30 perhaps?

[​IMG]

jamesd likes this.
  5. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I quite like the aesthetic of early Meridian amps.

[​IMG]

6. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I do see the point. Modern interior design might well make this fit in well. I probably shouldn't have said 'beauty' on reflection, maybe asking about good design instead. Not the same at all. In which case most of the above i kind of get.
    B&O must come closest. At least there is an undeniable elegance there I think. I see the quads too, esp the control amps (if orange and gold are even allowed :) ) but the Radford?? I mean I do like it, but there can have no thought to aesthetics at all...I mean, none whatsoever, and if there was, the guys design experience must have been drawing up the Lada...in fact a Lada beat the Radford in the good design stakes 50X.

booja30 and Del monaco like this.
  7. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

Thanks I’ll know now for future posts.

booja30 likes this.
  8. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Yamaha, of course.

Mike P and p147 like this.
  9. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Especially any of the A-SXX00's. I'd want to leave the top off because they're so pretty inside.
    [​IMG]

Lieberung, ALFY, Rana and 3 others like this.
  10. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Dribble.

booja30 likes this.
  11. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

It’s elegant, much like Apple products. I don’t think that’s an accidental reference.

12. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hovland Sapphire does it for me.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  13. p147

p147 Sunny Sussex.

I had these as well as the tuner, cassette player, and CD player set a few months ago then decided my new COVID-19 project was to move on to the Yamaha's. They are indeed beautiful in the flesh especially when the sunlight is on them as they then show the deep ruby red 'URUSHI' finish.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

One of my friends had a Lescon power amp for a while, it would have been early to mid-80s, so second hand, and it kept blowing up. He had Gale 401s (still has a pair), which are not the easiest things to drive, and he ended up giving up on the Lescon as it needed fixing so often. I can’t remember the preamp he had, but definitely not Lescon. I always felt the Lescon kit would make for an amazing looking system with JR149s.

Robert and Wolfmancatsup like this.
  15. mega lord

mega lord Centre tapped

A&R A60.

gx502, ALFY and Durmbo like this.
  16. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

That Lecson setup would have fit in well as a set piece in A Clockwork Orange, or maybe even 2001...

Wolfmancatsup and Tony L like this.
  17. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Think TRON and LAMM also deserve a shout-out here, IF I were ever going valves that's where I'd start.

Brian S and Woodface like this.
  18. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

What is? The radford?
    OK. Well I don't want to get personal here lol, so one man's meat etc.

An E type is 'elegant' maybe, most Alfas are, esp the Giuila Spyder ...the Italians understand elegance, it's a mix of lightness of design, simplicity and clear purpose. It works as a whole. And comparing Apple to Radford makes me think ....oh ok. It's a wind up :)

Darmok and booja30 like this.
  19. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

20. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Aha. yes. As I said.

Design is a trend, beauty isn't, it's just personal.