Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Name a 'beautiful' amplifier.

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rockmeister, Apr 3, 2021.

1. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

It's striking but I have to knock off ten points for the blue LEDs I'm afraid.

Old Shatterhand and booja30 like this.
  2. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

If we're allowing stripped down simplicity I'm also voting for the Densen Big Knob.

[​IMG]

3. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

This thread just goes to show that beauty is most definitely in the eye of the beholder, as sound is in the ears.

4. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

In that case (ha ha) I’ll go for the Tony L Tupperware Special Edition Passive.

[​IMG]

5. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

WTF!

6. RoA

RoA Well-Known Member

Whilst I can appreciate the work that has gone into the design of some (large) products such as D'Agostini and others I wouldn't want them in my living room. I think I would find them distractive, oppressive and austentatious.

I may be in a minority but for me, Music/Hifi has to be heard not seen and I am willing to trade a little performance/loudness for that.

booja30, Cereal Killer and Del monaco like this.
  7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

If we can't agree about what constitutes a beautiful amplifer, perhaps we might be more in agreement about what doesn't?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charlie_1, Miss Ariel, Darmok and 4 others like this.
  8. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

I had that ready to post as something that doesn’t appeal, then thought better of it not wanting to ruin the ambience of the thread :)

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  9. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

I guess someone had to spoil it by adding an ugly duckling, but I do like the understated simplicity of the Naim NAC22/NAP120:

[​IMG]

Monitor Gold 10 and ALFY like this.
  10. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Apologies, wasn't trying to spoil it but I do think some of the amps posted were not what I'd class as beautiful, which only goes to show, as others have said, that beauty is very subjective. I was interested to see if there was a similar divergence of opinion in respect of something like the Metaxas kit which, as far as I can tell, is intentionally designed to shock. It's art as much as technology.

Monitor Gold 10 and RoA like this.
  11. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

It doesn't even say Tupperware on it! So now some brand called 'Sistema' are knocking off Tupperware passive preamps?

paulfromcamden likes this.
  12. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

I think I can see where the inspiration came from:
    [​IMG]

13. Amber Audio

His open reel kind of appeals in a Trekky way

[​IMG]

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  14. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

15. p147

p147 Sunny Sussex.

I would love one of these.

EAR V20 integrated amplifier.

[​IMG]

16. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

The Lecson and Meridian used to torment me in the window of Radford Hifi, Windsor, in the late 70s/early 80s.

My dad was slightly obsessed by B&O and we had one of these....

[​IMG]

rstloup, Rosie, booja30 and 2 others like this.
  17. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Yes, and despite myself I quite like his turntable
    [​IMG]

Darren and Amber Audio like this.
  18. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

19. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

Sony TA-E86B/N86B combo. Understated elegance and no compromise build in and out. Much like the previous E/N88B combo.

[​IMG]

k90tour, gx502, Rack Kit and 9 others like this.
  20. Amber Audio

Yeah I saw a pic of a full system with that TT in the same colours as the R2R but can’t find it again, maybe at Munich or similar show, certainly was a statement of intent and would be appealing to some folk.