Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Name a 'beautiful' amplifier.

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rockmeister, Apr 3, 2021.

1. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

There's a set of those for sale here in Spain. It's really tempting but the rack mount ears are missing on the amp... I think they may have been damaged (like the preamp in that photo) and someone cut them off. Not that they're necessary, but rack mount gear looks cool.

2. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Better have a big solid slab of something to put that on or else the weight of it will make the motor and TT tilt toward each other!

3. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

Original Michi series from Rotel.

[​IMG]

Rack Kit, jamesd, stevied and 7 others like this.
  4. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

5. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

He then moved onto...

[​IMG]

linnfomaniac83 and chartz like this.
  6. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Like the Michi but the Dags are vulgar looking.

7. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

I love the 9X00s too. It's unfortunate that it kind of became obsolete from having tape built in (and even CD these days). They are dirt cheap now, even compared to the 4500s.

Jacob Jensen moved onto that from what? The 4500 series? The CX speakers? RL speakers? The hunk of solid aluminum Beolinks? So many great designs.

Jono_13 likes this.
  8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

[​IMG]

It’s total oligarch-grade bling-fi now with a knob.

9. jusphish

jusphish pfm Member

I think this is a winner.

10. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

I love these. I only had the 101B pre and the 104 tuner sadly - no power amps. Still have the tuner somewhere…

11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I do like Nagra gear.

Darmok, Sue Pertwee-Tyr and flapland like this.
  12. Rosie

Rosie pfm Member

I've seen a Sugden Dac from this range in a custom Orange with black switches and surrounds , stunning

13. RoA

RoA Well-Known Member

14. Darren

Darren All Business

This gets my vote. Beautiful. It would be a treat with my (imaginary) Chrome Burmester amps.

15. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

I'm sorry, I know "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" & all that, but there is some hideous bling on these pages.
    How come no one's mentioned the Onix OA21 yet? I know the names dirt around these parts but the looks certainly aren't.
    +1 for Quad as well, particularly the 33/303.
    TS

16. Robert

Robert Tapehead

That is the most hideous amplifier I've ever seen.

17. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

For me it's a tie between that and the Alchemist Kraken:
    [​IMG]
    Both look like bad sci-fi props but from different eras.

18. mikeyb

mikeyb pfm Member

Mildred?

19. Darren

Darren All Business

Nah.... thats ace. Really flash Gordon. If Ming the Merciless had an amp...........

20. yunie_

yunie_ Active Member

I've looked through all of these and I have to say, 'beauty' is really in the eyes of the beholder.

I believe I am the anomaly here, being just 33 years old and from the far east. So a lot of the designs showcase here in the thread has so far been, kind of repulsive to me (with of course a few exceptions). This shows how we perceive 'beauty' can sometimes be largely up to cultural influence.

Being brought up during the 'japan' age of the 90s and then enjoyed minimalist designs from Scandinavian countries and Japan, here are some of my picks.

[​IMG]

One thing about japanese products for me is their build quality. They have always been a notch above everyone else. Everything just feels so premium. Sony products especially has this really premium feel to it.

[​IMG]

I find minimalist Scandinavian products like hegel and amphion to be very attractive as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amongst speakers, I've always found Italian speakers brand to be absolutely hideous. Brands like sonus faber with its black and wood design is by far the ugliest mainstream speakers I've seen.

I like vintage design as well though even if many vintage products do not age well on a design perspective. Some of my favourites are the BBCs like Rogers new olive ls3/5a and graham ls5/9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tigerjones, Rack Kit, Rob998 and 4 others like this.