advertisement

Name a 'beautiful' amplifier.

If you are trying to achieve a realistic sound in your home you must have a reference, and that reference is live music. Whether it is someone singing in your hall, or playing a piano, or even a child playing a recorder. That is the sort of reproduction you should be trying to achieve in your room. An alternative is to go to a live classical concert, say at Kings Place or Wigmore Hall in London. Listen to a few of these concerts and get your ears adjusted to live music. It can take time but you can train your ears to hear better. Try to buy some good recordings, preferably of the same artist you heard at the concerts, then play these back in your system. If it sounds like what you heard and experienced at the live event then you are on the right track. If not then you know you have work to do...

Before covid I would listen to live uanmplified music almost every week. And I have recordings of performances which I attended. Unfortunately these were made using multiple mics into multi-track so they don't sound at all like what I listened from the audience. Convincing, exciting, detailed, but not realistic.
Like I said, realism depends first and foremost on how the recording was made. And if the recording is well made then the most accurate or highest-fidelity system will produce the best results.

Did you read the post I linked?

Pretty obvious I would have thought. Here are a few cars as examples:

the-new-toyota-yaris-gr-shows-off-its-0-top-speed-acceleration-151862-7.jpg

1-jaguar-e-type-zero-concept-static-threequarters.jpg

2498_1.jpg

553662.jpg

Three are great designs...

For me, the 250GT SWB is definitively top tier, together with the DB4 Zagato, the 356 Speedster, the BMW 507 and the Aurelia B24. Not sure whether I prefer the E-type or the XK150.
The Miura I find almost ugly-looking.

The Yaris is not fit to be in the same page...

Reactions: GT
Oh and by 'eck that ferrari is lovely, but driving it? Very raw by modern standards. Better or worse as a car then?

Agreed. It's a 1960's design so its bound to be raw compared to modern cars. Some prefer the driving experience.

Pretty obvious I would have thought. Here are a few cars as examples:

the-new-toyota-yaris-gr-shows-off-its-0-top-speed-acceleration-151862-7.jpg

1-jaguar-e-type-zero-concept-static-threequarters.jpg

2498_1.jpg

553662.jpg

Three are great designs...

HAHA - have you ever driven the other one? I have, it's stunning, I'd give up my 380PS Evo X for one if I could afford it! I care about performance, not looks ;)

HAHA - have you ever driven the other one? I have, it's stunning, I'd give up my 380PS Evo X for one if I could afford it! I care about performance, not looks ;)

When I venture into my garage I want to be captivated by beauty, design, class and performance, although the latter is pretty pointless today. I want to see a Liz Hurley, not a Gemma Collins... ;)

When I venture into my garage I want to be captivated by beauty, design, class and performance, although the latter is pretty pointless today. I want to see a Liz Hurley, not a Gemma Collins... ;)

Fair enough - I live in Switzerland where exploiting performance is still possible (if more difficult than it was 15 years ago) :)

Reactions: GT
I am reasonably confident that I know what design means (I'm an architect), but I was trying to understand what GTAudio meant when he said "I guess there is beauty (in the eye of the beholder) and there is also good/great design..."
Great design is about "fulfils the design brief" and if that brief does not include beauty then an ugly object can be great design. On my workbench in the garage I have a vice that is older than me. It was made by Parkinson of Canal Road, Shipley, Yorks, sometime shortly after the war. It is massively heavy, much abused and nobody would call it beautiful. However it is a perfect tool for the job at hand, perfectly designed for holding things to be worked on, for being durable, for carrying on working even when grossly abused, and with a split nut design making it easy and efficient in use. It fulfils all of this and more. I rescued it from a factory yard where it was quite literally left in a puddle. There is an identical one in a car servicing garage near me, it is used every day. I am confident that unless they are thrown away both will carry on working long after I am dead. That's great design. It's not beauty.

Aesthetic design and good functional design aren't mutually incompatible, though their convergence is disappointingly rare. But designers like Walter Gropius, Dieter Rams, Max Bill, and others have managed to produce objects which are functional, beautiful (eye of the beholder notwithstanding) and don't sacrifice practicality on the altar of aesthetics (yes, Philippe Starck, I'm looking at you...).

advertisement

Back