advertisement

Name a 'beautiful' amplifier.

Nait 2 the only Naim CB model with an illuminated logo, 33 years old and doesn't look out of place with time.

20210331-174644.jpg

Yes always fancied the Lecson myself...
Off the wall Nytech CA202 or what ever model

or its younger sister the Nytech / Ion Obelisk 1

Then there is the Goodmans Maxamp 30 perhaps?

sonos-amp-1.jpg

06-sonos-amp.jpg
Sonos Amp.

I do see the point. Modern interior design might well make this fit in well. I probably shouldn't have said 'beauty' on reflection, maybe asking about good design instead. Not the same at all. In which case most of the above i kind of get.
B&O must come closest. At least there is an undeniable elegance there I think. I see the quads too, esp the control amps (if orange and gold are even allowed :) ) but the Radford?? I mean I do like it, but there can have no thought to aesthetics at all...I mean, none whatsoever, and if there was, the guys design experience must have been drawing up the Lada...in fact a Lada beat the Radford in the good design stakes 50X.

I do see the point. Modern interior design might well make this fit in well. I probably shouldn't have said 'beauty' on reflection, maybe asking about good design instead. Not the same at all. In which case most of the above i kind of get.
B&O must come closest. At least there is an undeniable elegance there I think. I see the quads too, esp the control amps (if orange and gold are even allowed :) ) but the Radford?? I mean I do like it, but there can have no thought to aesthetics at all...I mean, none whatsoever, and if there was, the guys design experience must have been drawing up the Lada...in fact a Lada beat the Radford in the good design stakes 50X.
It’s elegant, much like Apple products. I don’t think that’s an accidental reference.

Always fancied this set Pioneer C-73/M-73

I had these as well as the tuner, cassette player, and CD player set a few months ago then decided my new COVID-19 project was to move on to the Yamaha's. They are indeed beautiful in the flesh especially when the sunlight is on them as they then show the deep ruby red 'URUSHI' finish.

As did I. Glad I didn’t buy them at the time though (I was only a lowly apprentice so they were out of reach) as most sets up for sale a few years later looked fairly tatty. It seems they didn’t age that well.

One of my friends had a Lescon power amp for a while, it would have been early to mid-80s, so second hand, and it kept blowing up. He had Gale 401s (still has a pair), which are not the easiest things to drive, and he ended up giving up on the Lescon as it needed fixing so often. I can’t remember the preamp he had, but definitely not Lescon. I always felt the Lescon kit would make for an amazing looking system with JR149s.

One of my friends had a Lescon power amp for a while, it would have been early to mid-80s, so second hand, and it kept blowing up. He had Gale 401s (still has a pair), which are not the easiest things to drive, and he ended up giving up on the Lescon as it needed fixing so often. I can’t remember the preamp he had, but definitely not Lescon. I always felt the Lescon kit would make for an amazing looking system with JR149s.
That Lecson setup would have fit in well as a set piece in A Clockwork Orange, or maybe even 2001...

It’s elegant, much like Apple products. I don’t think that’s an accidental reference.
What is? The radford?
OK. Well I don't want to get personal here lol, so one man's meat etc.

An E type is 'elegant' maybe, most Alfas are, esp the Giuila Spyder ...the Italians understand elegance, it's a mix of lightness of design, simplicity and clear purpose. It works as a whole. And comparing Apple to Radford makes me think ....oh ok. It's a wind up :)

advertisement

Back