advertisement

My New Car (warning more Porsche content)

As ever, it's going to be a transition. I hung on to a petrol car long after diesel was the cheaper option. I was getting hammered for road fund and fuel at 38 mpg. But I persisted, because I'm bloody minded like that. I now run a diesel, it's great and dirt cheap, but congestion charge s are coming. To me? Not yet, but one day. It's already happened in London, and Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth (or is it Dundee?) Have followed. Bradford has it for vans. It's not going to change overnight and the rural areas will be the last to have congestion or eml ssions charges and the last to have chargers on every street corner. It's coming. Some places sooner, some later. Some people sooner, some later. Early adopter s will pay, the trailing edge will also pay. The rest of us will change when it's the most sensible choice.

Petrol will disappear, so they will be useless. Maybe a 911 will hold it's value, but a Macan will not (it's not a classic car).

I don't get the "not everyone has the ways and means to run electric or PHEV"-point. The only argument for not going EV is when you cannot charge nearby. But where can that be? A PHEV is always possible. And if you mean 'money', you must be kidding as a Macan is not exactly a cheap car...
Having been given a new expensive loan EV whilst my equally expensive petrol car was in niggle to be sorted, as well as a PHEV for a couple of days whilst a wheel was refurbished.....only too pleased to get my petrol car back.

An EV or petrol/diesel? Depends on your circumstances & whether it suits what journeys you do. We've got home chargers here in Suffolk, and at our holiday home in Cumbria. My wife was doing a long commute which cost her c£500 a month in diesel. Her company offers free charging so all the time she's commuting it now costs nothing for the EV. Suits us down to the ground, plus the Kia she's got is a lovely comfortable car for long distances. In our case it's been a “No-brainer” as they say.

Petrol will disappear, so they will be useless. Maybe a 911 will hold it's value, but a Macan will not (it's not a classic car).

I don't get the "not everyone has the ways and means to run electric or PHEV"-point. The only argument for not going EV is when you cannot charge nearby. But where can that be? A PHEV is always possible. And if you mean 'money', you must be kidding as a Macan is not exactly a cheap car...

Big problem is not being able to charge at home, some of the costs at commercial chargers are prohibitive.

I could use a cheap 4wd daily runabout with 200 mile range but even if that comes on the market today it won't be cheap enough for c7 years.

Then I reckon you live in a semi or a detached.
No I don’t. I live in the center of a city, so I can only park and charge on public spaces. But the rates are fair. I pay € 0,34 per kWh. That’ll give me 5 km. Petrol is € 2,00 per liter. 1:15 means I need 0,33 liter = € 0,66. So half price. Over here EV’s are not charged with taxes. And maintenance is way cheaper. It’s a no brainer...

@canonman maybe you should try another one? n=1… I have compared the same cars as petrol/diesel and their PHEV-counterparts and very much prefer the later versions. More power, less noise, much more efficient!

No I don’t. I live in the center of a city, so I can only park and charge on public spaces. But the rates are fair. I pay € 0,34 per kWh. That’ll give me 5 km. Petrol is € 2,00 per liter. 1:15 means I need 0,33 liter = € 0,66. So half price. Over here EV’s are not charged with taxes. And maintenance is way cheaper. It’s a no brainer...
Maybe you need to just stop projecting your own personal circumstances on to the entire world. To start with most on here live in the UK and the UK has far worse provision for EV charging than the more progressive parts of Europe. Prices are different. Some people live in buildings where they're not allowed to install chargers or it's price prohibative or other reasons etc etc. Even then everyones financial situation differs etc.
Just because for you going EV is a no brainer does not mean it is for everyone else.

@canonman maybe you should try another one? n=1… I have compared the same cars as petrol/diesel and their PHEV-counterparts and very much prefer the later versions. More power, less noise, much more efficient!
1 week old Merc EQC with around 200 miles on the clock. Came fully charged. Beaconsfield to Arundel. via Gatwick. Around 90 miles. At Arundel, the display was suggesting insufficient range to get to London that evening. Charged it for around 30 to 40 mins IIRC. Got back to the dealer next day, just.

PHEV was an A250e. Fully charged at home overnight. Ran out of juice in around 20 miles but seamless change to petrol.

Both cars were current models, 73 reg, nice to drive.

I am open to change in the future but, right now, 550 miles plus on a tankful of juice suits me and no heavy batteries under the floor to screw up handling.

Maybe you need to just stop projecting your own personal circumstances on to the entire world. To start with most on here live in the UK and the UK has far worse provision for EV charging than the more progressive parts of Europe. Prices are different. Some people live in buildings where they're not allowed to install chargers or it's price prohibative or other reasons etc etc. Even then everyones financial situation differs etc.
Just because for you going EV is a no brainer does not mean it is for everyone else.
Tuttut, I was asking why one decides to go petrol. I am certainly unaware of the charging possibilities in the UK. I didn’t know you were so far behind. On YouTube I have been watching reviews of EV‘s and most are from the UK…?

Were the mates at the pub in GC's garage or is GC’s garage a pub, a “barage” if you will?

Joe

1 week old Merc EQC with around 200 miles on the clock. Came fully charged. Beaconsfield to Arundel. via Gatwick. Around 90 miles. At Arundel, the display was suggesting insufficient range to get to London that evening. Charged it for around 30 to 40 mins IIRC. Got back to the dealer next day, just.

PHEV was an A250e. Fully charged at home overnight. Ran out of juice in around 20 miles but seamless change to petrol.

Both cars were current models, 73 reg, nice to drive.

I am open to change in the future but, right now, 550 miles plus on a tankful of juice suits me and no heavy batteries under the floor to screw up handling.
That I understand. Driving range for me should be at least (real) 300 miles. And charging of 20 mins for 200 miles is acceptable to me.

What’s your negative experience with the PHEV then?

Tuttut, I was asking why one decides to go petrol. I am certainly unaware of the charging possibilities in the UK. I didn’t know you were so far behind. On YouTube I have been watching reviews of EV‘s and most are from the UK…?
Rather than petrol cars suffering high depreciation it’s EVs where this is the case in the U.K. If I were hunting for a new car it probably would be an EV that I’d choose for my circumstances. I would do it in one of two ways.

1) PCP or lease a new EV to remove the deprecation risk and hope receive a good deal from the manufacturer.
2) buy a 2nd hand EV to take advantage of the low price on some EVs.

If we reach nirvana with EVs this will require batteries to halve in weight and range to increase by 50% to 100% of many of today’s offerings, this is very plausible. Then watch petrol cars depreciate and the old tech EVs too (even more than today). The U.K. will eventually get a charging infrastructure suitable for flats and terraced houses…..hopefully.

Yes but you have to remember that the vast majority of those reviews will be by people who are both in a financial and resource position to accomodate them. So they can't really be used as a fair reflection of the overall position of prospective EV ownership in the UK. I'm sure the same is true in your own country no? Not everyone will be as able to afford or accomodate an EV as others?

Handling wasn't as sharp as the direct equivalent petrol car. 20 miles of electric is fine for town pottering but that's just not me, especially with the faff of charging every day and the increased cost, compared with the petrol version. A friend swears by his PHEV but he hardly ever does serious mileage. Anyway, each to his own.
What’s your negative experience with the PHEV then?

Yes but you have to remember that the vast majority of those reviews will be by people who are both in a financial and resource position to accomodate them. So they can't really be used as a fair reflection of the overall position of prospective EV ownership in the UK. I'm sure the same is true in your own country no? Not everyone will be as able to afford or accomodate an EV as others?
we’re talking Macan-money here…

we’re talking Macan-money here…
Bear in mind that Pork residuals are VERY strong and well managed. This is a very major cost factor in PCP/Lease pricing. Whereas EVs residuals have plummeted. This is the U.K. market.

@canonman I prefer the 4x4 capabilities of a PHEV and think they’re the better drive. But each his own. The range of about 30-40 miles electric (I have never driven one that has a lesser range) is okay for driving in the city. No more than that. About 1 in 3 miles overall are electric in my case.

Bear in mind that Pork residuals are VERY strong and well managed. This is a very major cost factor in PCP/Lease pricing. Whereas EVs residuals have plummeted. This is the U.K. market.
Sorry, my English isn’t up to the task. What do you mean?

advertisement

Back