advertisement

My New Car (warning more Porsche content)

My OH is thinking about one too. She's had a Maserati before but now prefers that one.
We’re up in Aberdeenshire, nearest Maserati garage is Edinburgh 100 odd miles South, so servicing/warranty was a concern. Dealer in Edi will look after us, new cars come with 3 Services FoC, below is part of an email answering my queries.

The car will tell you when it needs serviced as it will show a message on your driver dashboard. When this time does come, please let us know and we will get it booked in. We will drive a courtesy car up to you, bring your Grecale down for the service and return once finished. This is a complimentary service we offer to our clients.​

FWIW, friends of ours got an ex-demo Macan a year or so back, and it seems they've never been away from the supplying dealer. Most recent return was to get the central ECU replaced....

FWIW our previous Macan was fault free, only time in the dealer was for servicing. A Boxster with a broken gearbox, a 911 Targa with a broken roof and a 911 with broken ventilation.....

who knows what one might get......

I saw 3 Crayon Macans in the West End this morning, they’re ten a penny! Saw a black one too.

More of a 911 fan myself (on looks only, no driving experience ) but I can see the appeal of the Macan, must be a better town car and obviously much better luggage/load capacity. It’s quite understated too, I find the Bentley, Maserati, Aston type of SUV hideous.

Cheers BB

I saw 3 Crayon Macans in the West End this morning, they’re ten a penny! Saw a black one too.

More of a 911 fan myself (on looks only, no driving experience ) but I can see the appeal of the Macan, must be a better town car and obviously much better luggage/load capacity. It’s quite understated too, I find the Bentley, Maserati, Aston type of SUV hideous.

Cheers BB
eventually we settled on a Volcano Grey one, delivery miles only - registered at the dealer on 6th May. collection is tomorrow PM - insurance sorted, cheaper than the 911. Sat in a 911 992 Targa 4S yesterday - my fav........but we need 4 seats and it was £120k - we also needed to lower the monthly outgoings to align with my retirement plans......we halved them.,.....

Collected yesterday, lovely and comfortable inside, nice to drive clearly not as quick as the 911....very shiny. Need to spend some time setting up a audio etc....

20240530_165857 by uh_simon, on Flickr

20240530_165843 by uh_simon, on Flickr

20240530_165832 by uh_simon, on Flickr

it'll do us nicely for the next 3 years. When we got home, and opened the door to get out......I noticed this totally frivolous projection on my garage floor (it was too bright to see in the dealership)

20240530_171913 by uh_simon, on Flickr

Collected yesterday, lovely and comfortable inside, nice to drive clearly not as quick as the 911....very shiny. Need to spend some time setting up a audio etc....

20240530_165857 by uh_simon, on Flickr

20240530_165843 by uh_simon, on Flickr

20240530_165832 by uh_simon, on Flickr

it'll do us nicely for the next 3 years. When we got home, and opened the door to get out......I noticed this totally frivolous projection on my garage floor (it was too bright to see in the dealership)

20240530_171913 by uh_simon, on Flickr
Nice car! Seems to be the trend. I get a 3 pointed star when doors are opened.

we didn't expect the projected logo - my wife and i called it tacky, but the mates down the pub loved it........

I really don’t get it people are still buying new petrol cars. All brands have electric or PEH-offerings. Besides environmental arguments, the depriciation will be enormous. Why have you decided to go petrol?

As my car is in for some warranty fixes, I have been given a Macan T as a courtesy car. Nice and comfortable but a very disappointing 28 mpg on a 40 mile run on dual carriageways - my Carrera S returned 35 mpg going down there. Doesn't have the 'GTS' seats either so not super comfy for my legs and back.

I fancied a Macan next (as more 'practical' Pork) but unless I can get a good low-mileage diesel (which they've stopped making) I won't be getting one.

That's not to say it's not a nice bit of kit if it works for your lifestyle - I hope @gintonic gets to enjoy it as much as possible.

I disagree - well maintained petrols will hold their value more as they become rarer and not everyone has the ways and means to run electric or PHEV.
Petrol will disappear, so they will be useless. Maybe a 911 will hold it's value, but a Macan will not (it's not a classic car).

I don't get the "not everyone has the ways and means to run electric or PHEV"-point. The only argument for not going EV is when you cannot charge nearby. But where can that be? A PHEV is always possible. And if you mean 'money', you must be kidding as a Macan is not exactly a cheap car...

Petrol will disappear, so they will be useless. Maybe a 911 will hold it's value, but a Macan will not (it's not a classic car).

It won't have to be a 'classic' - any ICE car while cost of ownership remains on a par or cheaper than an EV

I don't get the "not everyone has the ways and means to run electric or PHEV"-point. The only argument for not going EV is when you cannot charge nearby. But where can that be? A PHEV is always possible. And if you mean 'money', you must be kidding as a Macan is not exactly a cheap car...

The cost of a kWh away from home can be excruciatingly high and if you have to depend on those to charge because you live in a house with on-street parking, the appeal of a cheaper ICE car is clear.

WRT cost of the Macan. On a PCP or lease whole-life costs don't always stack in favour of EVs.

Maybe you're right but interesting to see new models from Bentley, Porsche and Ferrari all with developed or new petrol engines with hybrid electrics. In the case of Porsche, a brand new flat 6 with no carry-over parts from the previous engine.

I can only speak for myself obviously, but the used-car market for EV's is so unclear that I'll not go near it yet.

advertisement

Back