advertisement

My New Car (warning more Porsche content)

gintonic

50 shades of grey pussy cats
Quite a few people asked me to post about this.....

So about a month ago I picked up this:

2017-01-10_06-20-35 by uh_simon, on Flickr

2017-01-10_06-21-26 by uh_simon, on Flickr

2017-01-10_06-22-05 by uh_simon, on Flickr

It is a Porsche Macan Turbo with some added toys. 400 Bhp, 3.6l 6 cylinder - twin turbo.

This is my third Porsche - I have previous had a 987 Boxster S, and most recently for two and half years a fully tricked out 981 Boxster S. For a variety of reasons, we needed our new car to have more comfort and more space than a Boxster could offer.....But I still wanted the practical elements with some level of performance. So a change was on the cards.....noting that a) I like the SUV driving position and b) since I lease my cars, sticking with Porsche made a lot of financial sense to me.

We did consider alternative, and we did test the range of Macans at the PEC - so I gave one a full trashing on the track.....

So after a month what are my thoughts. Well if an SUV style vehicle can make you smile, this can....in driving its feel on the road is recognisably Porsche. It is brilliantly quick, in fact quite possible quicker the my Boxster S in straight line. Through the twisties it obviously isn't a a Boxster, but oh what fun it is to drive. Its 4 wheel drive make it feel like it'll stick to anything, I haven't yet got it to twitch. It is a thrill to drive, but not as much of a mad grinning experience as a Boxster - but again its not meant to be - although it does make me smile - the acceleration and handling are just sublime for a car of this size.

Comfortwise, it is a luxury vehicle, it is so much a nicer place to be than my Boxster was, and almost all of my back aches have gone away. The extra space we needed has already paid off.....

Do I miss the Boxster? A little, but not as much as I thought I would. I know the panoramic opening Macan roof, is not a replacement for the top-down fun of the boxster, but with the windows down and the roof fully open - you get a decent feeling.

The Macan has popped up on my radar too, although I won't be in the market for another year or so. You've gone for the Turbo. How does it sit against the S?

We've had Range Rovers on and off for 30 years and with the latest one I'm used to them maybe trundling up to around 120 (Autobahns of course) but a friend picked me up in his Cayenne Turbo a few years ago and we must have reached 150+. It was a strange sensation sitting that high and at that speed, but I was impressed with how stable it was was and the prodigious braking capacity. A very impressive car even if I don't like the shape. That was a few years ago so I'd imagine the Macan is even more competent.

Whilst I really really like Polar bears, it's wonderful to see manufacturers still making great cars like this. Swift 4x4s with such broad competence are most agreeable to live with.

The Macan has popped up on my radar too, although I won't be in the market for another year or so. You've gone for the Turbo. How does it sit against the S?

I have driven the GTS, Turbo and the S - all petrol. I could live with an S as a daily drive, although, given where I have come from vehicle wise (the car before the two Boxsters was an SLK 55 AMG - a 5.5l V8 monster) but it wouldn't have me smiling - I think I'd miss the poke the more powerful engine gives. The GTS is more of a "drivers" car with regard to the suspension setup, and the Turbo the cruiser. There is of course the Turbo Performance pack as well.

In a year or so (more likely close to two years) you might be looking at the facelift version Porsche are rumoured to be planning.....

We've had Range Rovers on and off for 30 years and with the latest one I'm used to them maybe trundling up to around 120 (Autobahns of course) but a friend picked me up in his Cayenne Turbo a few years ago and we must have reached 150+. It was a strange sensation sitting that high and at that speed, but I was impressed with how stable it was was and the prodigious braking capacity. A very impressive car even if I don't like the shape. That was a few years ago so I'd imagine the Macan is even more competent.

Whilst I really really like Polar bears, it's wonderful to see manufacturers still making great cars like this. Swift 4x4s with such broad competence are most agreeable to live with.

Very true - the Cayenne wasn't really on our radar as it won't fit in our garage.

Yes, I should have added to my little set of reflections that the braking ability is immense.....the best I have experienced.

I have driven the GTS, Turbo and the S - all petrol. I could live with an S as a daily drive, although, given where I have come from vehicle wise (the car before the two Boxsters was an SLK 55 AMG - a 5.5l V8 monster) but it wouldn't have me smiling - I think I'd miss the poke the more powerful engine gives. The GTS is more of a "drivers" car with regard to the suspension setup, and the Turbo the cruiser. There is of course the Turbo Performance pack as well.

In a year or so (more likely close to two years) you might be looking at the facelift version Porsche are rumoured to be planning.....

Thanks for that - I would be coming from an RS4 so I do have a predilection for big non-turbocharged engines. Unless the turbo-lag is down to milliseconds though which I think is not the case in the upcoming RS4 but we will see

While looking for my car I obviously saw both the Macan, and the Cayenne on my travels.

The Macan is the SUV Porsche should have made in the first place.

Congratulations.

(Nice colour!)

While looking for my car I obviously saw both the Macan, and the Cayenne on my travels.

Congratulations.

(Nice colour!)

thankyou - we mulled over the colour so many times.....in some senses the range of colours for the Macan is a bit limited. We nearly went with Agate Grey, but in a certain light it had too many tinges of brown....

Congratulations.

(Nice colour!)

They are distinct cars even though they look similar. The Cayenne has much more leg/headroom in the back.
The Cayenne has been an enormous commercial success and the Macan is selling very well.

They are distinct cars even though they look similar. The Cayenne has much more leg/headroom in the back.
The Cayenne has been an enormous commercial success and the Macan is selling very well.

Sure, my comment was purely subjective as I think the Macan seems more "Porsche" - whatever that means!

Great looking cars these. Cayenne aside, Porsche really are right up there in design & style on the current models.

Nice choice G&T!

Very nice G&T! I was keen on one of these a couple of years ago but apart from the one year's waiting list at the time, it was too small for us inside. I know these designs have to be a compromise but I really think Porsche missed a trick by not making it comparable in size with the X3/Freelander/CRV type of 4X4. Maybe their MkII will be a bit bigger.

advertisement

Back