advertisement

Music you should like but don't

its music i have been told i should like (but dont)

Did the persons(s) who told you you should like it have taste that generally agrees with your own or is this just the generalised other? If the latter, I feel exactly the same way about Dark Side of the Moon, The Nightfly, Hotel California, Bat Out of Hell, the entire career of the Rolling Stones and any number of other officially sanctioned classics. If the former, then the music is a great deal more accessible when heard sans-vocal (available in the Grow Fins set) and reveals itself as highly organised and very tightly arranged. There is no flab. I watched them playing it note for note in 2003. People danced.

Edit: Kasperhauser beat me to the broad point in less words

Shocking.

I'm not sure if the lapses in taste shown in this thread are funny or upsetting. Not liking Ornette?! Honestly.

I agree- stating you can't stand the most original, artistic bohemoth of an album that is the mighty MIGHTY (& as 'different' an lp as ever there's been recorded imo) TMR, on any music thread is bogglingly unfathomable..

..as is whoever said they don't like Omlettes. i mean that's like soo dumb its like saying you don't like toast or cheese or somehing like that.

I think I get this thread, let's try this.

As a fan of most of the output (admittedly the earlier output) of David Bowie, I think his Tin Machine albums are shite.

Is that OK?

I have been told that my love of tom waits suggests a similar interest in captain beefheart.

The two couldn't be further apart to my ears.

Interpol - based on my liking of Joy Division, Comsat Angels etc - should be right up my street, but they just leave me cold.

I think I'm one of the few who never got Nirvana - still puzzles me to this day their popularity and so called "legacy" on the rock music scene

Our House - C S N, This is easy for me, smug and self indulgent, but with the underlying threat that if anyone like you or me came any where near their wonderful existence we would not be very welcome.

It's just a love song written by Nash for his then lover Joni Mitchell. Love songs don't survive deconstructionism .

Have you ever been in love? (passim Leo Sayer )

Strong words my friend, can we see you can back them up? Bob is such a great artist I can't understand why you think he is a tart or a fraud. I suspect you are the tart and the fraud and only wish to draw attention to yourself.

After reading post 70 I thought this was meant to be ironic, but now I suspect it probably isn't. So take the quote as my response to post 70 too.

Bob Dylan. I like his lyrics. But he can't sing. At all. I think his work should be read as poetry and his records turned into plant pots. I understand he has now moved over to DJing and underwear modelling. Good call.

And you people dissing Tom Waits. You're on my list. Come the revolution...

(I also never got Joni Mitchell - Blue. Maybe I'm just allergic to that 60s protest/hippie thing. Being right, or even right on, is no substitute for talent.)

It's just a love song written by Nash for his then lover Joni Mitchell. Love songs don't survive deconstructionism .

Have you ever been in love? (passim Leo Sayer )

That's a mighty personal question. But I can assure you that I have searched the highways of life looking for someone who will see me for my true worth, someone who will share my lonely existence. But the wife told me to pack it in. I only have one conclusion:

Love hurts
Love wounds and scars
Any heart not strong enough ..... Gram Parsons

The pain of love is the pain of being alive. It is a perpetual wound.

Bob Dylan. I like his lyrics. But he can't sing. At all. I think his work should be read as poetry and his records turned into plant pots. I understand he has now moved over to DJing and underwear modelling. Good call.

And you people dissing Tom Waits. You're on my list. Come the revolution...
(

Jonathan you are saying that Dylan can't sing but that Tom Waits presumably...can?

I beg to differ ....... previously you said you liked Everything (to save arguing) ;)

On both occasions I was lying. Or at least I'm saying I was. The trouble with me is that half of my lies aren't true, and you just can't believe the other half. Allegedly ;)

advertisement

Back