advertisement

Music you should like but don't

:confused: Ah, the so called Pink Floyd fans who do not like the Syd Barett stuff. Some kind of severe punishment should be considered for these people.

I can still remember the sense of forboding I felt when first listening to "Saucerful of Secrets".
All the post-Syd output is prtty dire IMHO.

Chris

Then why is that music you should like but don't?????
My son thinks it is the best music there is and so do many others. I therefore assume it has a lot going for it as it is so popular and contemporary. I just don't get it personally. It outsells most other genres at the moment also so I should like it but I don't. QED.

Just remembered I don't like Life On Mars by David Bowie. Lyrically it seems all jumbled up, but still desperately trying to say something. Many people seem to think its his best work, and even named a drama series after it, but I find it annoying. "Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow", whatever.

I always felt I should like Pink Floyd but I just can't - simultaneously overcooked and shallow, clunky and unsubtle, pretending the be art house without ever understanding art. Culturally it reminds me of the dead, pretentious hole modernism found itself in the mid 20th century. Its the musical equivalent of an athena poster.

apologies to all the old PF hippies/nerds (delete as applicable)

I always felt I should like Pink Floyd but I just can't - simultaneously overcooked and shallow, clunky and unsubtle, pretending the be art house without ever understanding art. Culturally it reminds me of the dead, pretentious hole modernism found itself in the mid 20th century. Its the musical equivalent of an athena poster.

apologies to all the old PF hippies/nerds (delete as applicable)

Even the Syd stuff?

Chris

Another one here who can't abide the Floyd. All sounds total cobblers to my ears.
Good job music is an individual thing eh!!

Spur07 and soundwave, I think your are right for most of the post-Syd stuff. But have you tried their first LP ore the above mentioned See Emily Play?

Which reminds me - Syd Barrett's Madcap Laughs; can anyone tell me why this is so highly regarded?

Funny to chance on a hippy-bashing thread (although it might not have been the original topic), since I'm listening to Roy Harper's 'Flat Baroque and Beserk', which is undoubtedly hippy, and undoubtedly a bit of genius - lyrical, angry, beautiful, rising so far above the commercialization of the counter-culture that made punk necessary.

Even the Syd stuff?

Chris

I have to say I'm not too aware of all the syd stuff. the post-floyd syd albums are well regarded? keep meaning to catch these.

the early floyd was pretty hideous guitar noodling, but i'm generally referring to all the stuff after that. just can't take them seriously. didn't they all meet at art school? I'd be amazed at that bearing in mind how facile and clunky some of their stuff was. mind you when i remember some of the idiots I met at art college.

Everything Pink Floyd I have ever heard, has never inspired me to try more I'm afraid to say FranzD.

They're two completely different bands. I seem to remember seeing an interview with Roger Waters complaining how 'weird' Syd was because he didn't want to sign up to a major label on a multi album deal or something along those lines. I don't think Waters ever quite 'got' music.

I have to say I'm not too aware of all the syd stuff. the post-floyd syd albums are well regarded? keep meaning to catch these.

the early floyd was pretty hideous guitar noodling, but i'm generally referring to all the stuff after that. just can't them seriously. didn't they all meet at art school? I'd be amazed at that bearing in mind how facile and clunky some of their stuff was. mind you when i remember some of the idiots I met at art college.

The early Floyd is the only stuff worth listening to. It's the later stuff which is hideous guitar noodling.

advertisement

Back