advertisement

Music you should like but don't

i'm not necessarily bashing hippie music, but just where did floyd fit in to all this, to me they've always seemed somehow out of time, out of touch. I really like the post-punk stuff of the late 70's/early 80's - something like Gang of Four's 'Entertainment'. complete opposite ends of the spectrum - visceral, political, alive, full of sweat, dealing with normal people and everyday life through an informed, educated art house sentiment.

which one's had the most influence on modern music over the last 20 years?

which one's had the most influence on modern music over the last 20 years?

I don't see what that has to do with anything. Besides, saying that 'hippy' music hasn't had an influence over modern music is ridiculous. Gang of Four might have had more influence over later punk type stuff, but early Floyd has had far more influence over modern folk, psychedelia etc.

Order!

This thread isn't about music you simply don't like; if for example noodly guitar music isn't your thing, it's not surprising that you don't like Dire Straits; whereas if you think music needs a rigid structure then the wilder shores of free jazz will undoubtedly fail to float your boat. So, instead of yet more 'hippy music is crap' or 'rap is shite' posts, can we have some examples of music in a genre you like that you unexpectedly dislike?

I grew up during the post punk era, and like a lot that sort of music. So I "should" like Can and Neu, but to my ears they just sound plodding. My loss, I know...

Gassor, I have no ****ing idea why everyone finds it so muthfuckin hard to understand the basic concept of this thread. JesusHChrist. Maybe start again. **** my ****ing arse, dudes, get on track. What the **** is so ****ing hard to understand?

Anything and everything by Queen - junk of the highest order.

Carl
Why should you like it?

All signs point to me being a big fan of the North Mississippi Allstars: southern rock sensibility, country blues heritage, and veneer of authenticity. All adds up to "meh", though. Bores me.

Yeah, I guess there is quite a bit of stuff I guess I should like simply because I have a strong AOR leaning; e.g., Foreigner should be right up my alley, yet I hate them with inexplicable vehemence.

Gassor, I have no ****ing idea why everyone finds it so muthfuckin hard to understand the basic concept of this thread. JesusHChrist. Maybe start again. **** my ****ing arse, dudes, get on track. What the **** is so ****ing hard to understand?

Patience my son. You are dealing with an aging population here. And for most of them, old age comes at a bad time.

I don't like BMW drivers is it. (Is that the sort of thing you are after?)

DS

Don't believe I've heard it tbh.
About the only thing I remember liking was one track off of Song X.

If I can dodge the insults for being off-thread, please Guey, don't judge Ornette on recordings from the 80's - decade of death for free jazz. Give the early Atlantic recordings a chance, they're very different and much more accessible, but still rich and strange. 'The Shape of Jazz to Come' is a good start and 'Lonely Woman' is the most addictive - and very appropriate for the current heat-wave. I think Lou Reed said there'd be no VU without it.

Just to get back on track of songs you hate by bands you love (or that's how I read the OP), Wild Horses by The Stones. So utterly shite that Susan Boyle covered it.

Thank **** she didn't attempt Ventilator Blues!

I always felt I should like Pink Floyd but I just can't - simultaneously overcooked and shallow, clunky and unsubtle

Well, I admit they are starting to sound a bit dated now, but that monumental sense of menace they created was unique. 'Animals' still bears playing occasionally

Like David Bowie - think his cover of Across The Universe should have stayed an unreleased coke addled in joke.

advertisement

Back