advertisement

Music you should like but don't

(I also never got Joni Mitchell - Blue. Maybe I'm just allergic to that 60s protest/hippie thing. Being right, or even right on, is no substitute for talent.)

Blue is possibly my favourite album of all time. It barely touches on 60's protest/hippie stuff, apart from some oblique references to the hippie community in Matala (Crete) in 'Carey'. It is mostly an album of love songs.

Mull

Blue is possibly my favourite album of all time. It barely touches on 60's protest/hippie stuff, apart from some oblique references to the hippie community in Matala (Crete) in 'Carey'. It is mostly an album of love songs.

Mull

Second this sentiment exactly

That's a stinker, but 'Teach Your Children' is worse.
I like that song (on 4 Way Street)!

Yessir it is. Who the **** were these assholes, to think they knew about everything including how to bring up your kids. Thats what annoys me about hippies they actually thought they knew all things, and sadly they kinda knew **** all. They had an opinion about everything and knew kinda nothing.
It's just a song that makes some observations, not a mandate from above!

Yes - Save The Whale.
Deep Purple - everything with Joe Lyn Turner.
Rainbow - everything with Joe Lyn Turner.
Rush - the Feedback album.

Warp records is it.

Whilst I like a lot of techno / Electronica I can't seem to 'get' Warp.

In the quality records shops I go to, I generally skip over the Warp section from expereice,

OK I do have quite a few Warps, like Mike Ink etc, but generally not fussed there.

DS

I like a fair bit of Jazz and I know many people will tell me I MUST BE DEAF but I just cannot appreciate Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue when thousands or maybe it's millions revere it as perhaps the greatest Jazz album ever.

Colin Molloy - whining voice
Rufus wainwright - need I say more?

my son plays molloy all the time. Great music and lyrics, but his voice!!!!
to give him his due my son hates jon Anderson's voice.

I will prevail.

Pretty much all of Bob Dylan's output - I just can't get past his whining voice.......and he's a tart and a fraud

I think that despite yourself you've come up with an interesting take on Dylan.

I love his earlier stuff up to, say Blonde on Blonde. However, I am often forced to conclude that he was somewhat overwhelmed and even puzzled by his own success. I'm not sure he's ever really known how to handle it.

I was never struck on Thin Lizzie, but I especially hate that one.

Clearly you have never heard the charity CD on which I both contributed to backing vocals and sang one verse of The Boys Are Back in Town. Since only 500 copies were pressed, it is only a matter of time before it is discovered as a rare and desirable piece of rock history.
Even as I type, I understand the people from RCRRPG are on my trail.... :D

Mull

I like that song (on 4 Way Street)!

It's just a song that makes some observations, not a mandate from above!

Paul! We are in rare agreement!

I think that CSN's eponymous first album was near perfect. Forget the lyrics and just listen to the harmonies, the way the songs build, the odd combination of gentle thoughtfulness and raging power. Stunning.

I ought to like Neil Young.

I have 'After the Goldrush' on original vinyl. It gets an occasional outing but for me it invokes a place and time rather than having the timeless quality of say JM's Blue, or CSN's CSN.

I liked a couple of songs from Harvest but it stopped there.

I really like much of the early music of the Rolling Stones but after, say,' Goats Head Soup' the quality of their output seemed to deteriorate rapidly. I've tried to like their later stuff but it just doesn't work for me. I don't know why but the live recording, 'Get yer Ya-Yas Out' is one of my, all time, favourite albums.

Clearly you have never heard the charity CD on which I both contributed to backing vocals and sang one verse of The Boys Are Back in Town. Since only 500 copies were pressed, it is only a matter of time before it is discovered as a rare and desirable piece of rock history.
Even as I type, I understand the people from RCRRPG are on my trail.... :D

Mull
Gladly I think that the version played by the band I was in whilst at school was never recorded!

Paul! We are in rare agreement!

I think that CSN's eponymous first album was near perfect. Forget the lyrics and just listen to the harmonies, the way the songs build, the odd combination of gentle thoughtfulness and raging power. Stunning.
Yep - I think CSN(Y)'s harmonies are fantastic; really good.
Not one lead singer plus harmonies, but each individual contributing.

advertisement

Back