advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread Pt II

Seeing as goals were the priority last night, i thought it strange that Pep omitted Aguero over Jesus. Refereeing debates aside, I thought the creative forces of Sane, Silva, De Bruyne were fairly muted. City looked a team whose confidence has taken a dent recently.

I have tickets for the Spurs game Saturday evening- thought it was going to be a bit of a damp squib but not so sure now.

That’s been your failure. Klop seems to have worked out that if you hoof the ball over the midfield area bypassing it we have problems. United did the same to us on Saturday. It’s something I hope Pep mulls over and picks up on over the summer. Sometimes you can’t always play the game the way you want to!

Bypassing a high press by going over the top of it is a perfectly valid response despite whatever you or Pep might think. In fact you're actually inviting that response so don't whinge when teams do it to you. Incidentally that approach has been used successfully against Klopp's Liverpool too.

Besides the good stuff they do, one of the irritating traits of Pep's teams is a willingness to commit a seemingly innocuous foul just after the team has lost possession in order to foil any attempt by the opposition to make a quick counter. They were at it last weekend & again last night. Once you notice them doing it, it becomes extremely obvious.

Exactly Murray, it’s what i coach my lads to do. If they’re under pressure go long into the corners, down the line or into a space away from the goal.

I do see what you mean about the fouls, but that’s a football problem not a City one. Everyone does it. Innumerous times this season one of our players has been fouled to prevent a move developing. The team that fouls gains an advantage as they have chance and the time to get back into shape. I’m not sure what can be done about that. More yellow cards? More sendings off? Move forward 10 yards for a professional foul? We’ve long seen players from all clubs taking one for the team.

The direct ball over a talented midfield is nothing new. Many moons ago the Norwegian national team did it very well, and the team that had the hardest time coping with it was the Brazil team. If memory serves, Norway beat Brazil 3 times in 4 meetings as a result.

Looking forward to the SF draw. I really don’t see anyone left that we need be frightened off. Bayern are not what they were. Roma, the only fear is fans getting stabbed at the away leg, and Real will play a wide open game and can’t defend, which suits us. Happy days

I'd fancy Madrid to take it from here tbh. As for not starting Aguero over Jesus, I can only assume he isn't fully fit

If today’s matches go as expected, the semis will have one team each from the UK, Spain, Germany and Italy. Nice to see such diverse representation for a European championship.

Will be rooting for LFC from here onwards, and hoping they avoid an RM draw.

Out of interest, why are people saying the Sane goal should have stood?

First of all when the ball came back to him from Milner he was in an offside position. (there needed to be two players level with or between him & the goal but there was only one) But as the ball hit Milner and re-bounded back towards goal it wasn't deliberate on Milner's part. It would have to have been deliberate for Sane to be on-side. it differs from the situation earlier in the season where Lovren tried deliberately to clear the ball but miskicked it into Kane's path. In that instance the ball didn't go where he intended it to. But Milners contact wasn't deliberate so Sane was offside as he put it into the goal. I can't see that VAR would've made any difference. What am I missing?

Out of interest, why are people saying the Sane goal should have stood?

First of all when the ball came back to him from Milner he was in an offside position. (there needed to be two players level with or between him & the goal but there was only one) But as the ball hit Milner and re-bounded back towards goal it wasn't deliberate on Milner's part. It would have to have been deliberate for Sane to be on-side. it differs from the situation earlier in the season where Lovren tried deliberately to clear the ball but miskicked it into Kane's path. In that instance the ball didn't go where he intended it to. But Milners contact wasn't deliberate so Sane was offside as he put it into the goal. I can't see that VAR would've made any difference. What am I missing?

It just has to hit an opposing player, of the last touch is a defender it’s not offside.

It just has to hit an opposing player, of the last touch is a defender it’s not offside.
So is the argument that it was an own goal? If so, then Sane is surely interfering with play while in an offside position. It makes no difference to the outcome but I'm still interested to hear why people think it should've been disallowed.

No. It came off a defender, so Sane wasn't offside.

Wrong. The defender has to play it there deliberately for Sane to be onside. He didn't so the goal was rightly disallowed. I think you need re-read the rule.

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate

or

interfering with an opponent by: preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision

or

challenging an opponent for the ball

or

clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent

or

making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

or

gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent

or

been deliberately saved by any opponent

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

The issue is whether Milner deliberately played it. I don't think he did but more significantly neither did the officials. hence no goal.

I’m still waiting for Ashley Young to be hit with a retrospective red card & 3 match ban any second now, given the ‘blatantly obvious’ penalty he should’ve conceded on Saturday. Can't think what's delaying the FA.

Great effort by Juventus. Tough way to lose a series, but it was a penalty and Buffon deserved the red.

advertisement

Back