advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread Pt II

Crossroads for Chelsea on the horizon- I remember my Tranmere Rovers spanking them in the Cups

My father was club captain in his playing days, and became first team coach for the mighty Tranmere in their “hey day”. As a teenager I used to watch the home games from the Directors box.

My father was club captain in his playing days, and became first team coach for the mighty Tranmere in their “hey day”. As a teenager I used to watch the home games from the Directors box.

That's fantastic, I've been a lifetime Rovers fan since my first game with my late father - Stoke City (with Gordon Banks) in the FA Cup, 2-2 draw and still their biggest ever crowd.... who was your Dad?

Colin L did your father know Warwick Rimmer who managed the youth team at Tranmere? I know his lid Matty. Early TRFC memories include singing to Bill Shankly in the posh seats who responded with a wave! TRFC nightmares include being chased all around the 4 sides of the stadium by Huddersfield fans!

Good to see Tranmere back in the football league.
I remember many famous cup giant killings in the 70s and 80s.

Forgot the England game...
At least Jones doesn't look like playing.
Southgate played a more progressive midfiel which makes sense against lesser opponents.
Sterling still missing too many chances by the sounds of it.

Think Sterling tried too hard in a tough week for him in the media... he's got several tricks, creates so many chances and has pace to burn but isn't clinical. Sad to see him dive so blatantly too. Not totally convinced by our goalie either

That's fantastic, I've been a lifetime Rovers fan since my first game with my late father - Stoke City (with Gordon Banks) in the FA Cup, 2-2 draw and still their biggest ever crowd.... who was your Dad?

Roy Lorenson. I was to young to remember his playing days but he was first team coach from probably 67 through to 77, in the days of Dave Russell and Johnny King as managers. He brought through Steve Coppell during that time. He left when they brought Ron Yeats over as Player / Manager. The money was crap and he personally saw no way forward. He went coaching overseas for the next 20 years and then retired. Prior to Tranmere he played at Halifax where he kept Jack Charlton out of the team. I have newspaper clippings of his performances and we was being actively scouted by Chelsea and Man Utd when he did his ACL which in those days was a much bigger issue than now. He was out for two years and still bears the surgery scars.

Colin L did your father know Warwick Rimmer who managed the youth team at Tranmere? I know his lid Matty. Early TRFC memories include singing to Bill Shankly in the posh seats who responded with a wave! TRFC nightmares include being chased all around the 4 sides of the stadium by Huddersfield fans!

I don't remember the name and likely he wont know either as unfortunately he is struggling with dementia. My father knew all the Liverpool and Everton people very well. Unfortunately Dad was more an Everton than Liverpool fan so I in my teems I accompanied him more to Goodison.

Good to see Tranmere back in the football league. I remember many famous cup giant killings in the 70s and 80s.
I recall one of the Dad's highlights was drawing with Arsenal at Prenton Park in the FA Cup. They got thumped back at Highbury :(

Hoddle was the only manager to build the England team around Paul Scholes, and hence was the only manager to win anything since 66 in the 4 team round robin tournament in France. England, Italy, France and Brazil. The England team then was none too shabby either, and they beat Italy 2-0 in their opening match...

Tim Flowers 9 Blackburn Rovers F.C.
Phil Neville 4 Manchester United F.C.
Stuart Pearce 76 Nottingham Forest F.C.
Paul Ince
captain.gif
84'
yellowcard.gif
31 F.C. Inter
Gareth Southgate 17 Aston Villa F.C.
Graeme Le Saux
out.gif
46' 18 Blackburn Rovers F.C.
in.gif
46' Gary Neville 20 Manchester United F.C.
David Beckham 34'
yellowcard.gif
8 Manchester United F.C.
Martin Keown 14 Arsenal F.C.
Ian Wright
out.gif
76' 25 Arsenal F.C.
in.gif
76' Andy Cole 2 Manchester United F.C.
Teddy Sheringham
out.gif
78' 26 Tottenham Hotspur F.C.
in.gif
78' Paul Gascoigne 86'
yellowcard.gif
49 Rangers F.C.
Paul Scholes 45'
yellowcard.gif
2 Manchester United F.C.

Apparently Luis Enrique or Laurent Blanc will manage Chelsea. The Metro reckon Enrique will join in the next couple of days. The former Barca manager is much more suitable than homophobe smoker Sarri. https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/02/chel...t-week-club-goes-cold-maurizio-sarri-7599237/

Courtois will go, otherwise he will be on a free transfer next year. Two possible replacements are Alisson from Roma or Stoke's Jack Butland.

Higuain has been offered in a swap for Morata. He is at the Chelsea transfer cut-off point of 30 years old, but has to be an improvement over mopey Morata.

It is cool to see Frank Lampard is going to sign John Terry for Derby County. It will be a laugh if they get the team into the Premier League.

I'm already looking forward to next season.

Jack
Morata had a great start to last season, but a well dodgy end. I believe there's a top class player in there somewhere. There are rumours of an on going injury problem, which could explain some lack lustre performances. I agree, he's put on far too many sulky performances, trying to get fouls where there really wasn't one. He definitely needs to man up on the mopey front.

But for me, Morata represents a larger problem, that is the short termism, instant success or out the door policy that my team have developed. Chelsea need to see a bigger picture. We need to be able to see beyond instant success for new players and managers if we are to build a great team that has longevity, stability and a sense of identity.

Drogba was disappointing in his first season, he seemed to need two or three touches before he had the ball under control. Under the present climate, he'd be heading for the door by now.

Chelsea seem to have a policy of planned instability. I know it's a Russian thing that achieves certain ends, but it's not good for long term planning or the development of players coming up from the youth team or new players coming in and needing to find their feet. We'll no doubt get a new manager, who will know that he has to be high in the league by Christmas and won something by May, and will therefore prefer to rely on tried and trusted players rather than young, up and coming players. What other choice has he got? Christensen and Loftus Cheek and a host of others won't get a look in and will go elsewhere to get games in January and be commanding record breaking transfer fees for another club in a couple of years time.

I know that we're not proper football fans unless we support our team no matter what, but then maybe I'm not a proper football fan, because I'm more than a bit p****d off with my team at the moment. I haven't renewed my membership yet, and while I probably will, it's far from certain at the moment.

Hoddle was the only manager to build the England team around Paul Scholes, and hence was the only manager to win anything since 66 in the 4 team round robin tournament in France. England, Italy, France and Brazil. The England team then was none too shabby either, and they beat Italy 2-0 in their opening match...

Tim Flowers 9 Blackburn Rovers F.C.
Phil Neville 4 Manchester United F.C.
Stuart Pearce 76 Nottingham Forest F.C.
Paul Ince
captain.gif
84'
yellowcard.gif
31 F.C. Inter
Gareth Southgate 17 Aston Villa F.C.
Graeme Le Saux
out.gif
46' 18 Blackburn Rovers F.C.
in.gif
46' Gary Neville 20 Manchester United F.C.
David Beckham 34'
yellowcard.gif
8 Manchester United F.C.
Martin Keown 14 Arsenal F.C.
Ian Wright
out.gif
76' 25 Arsenal F.C.
in.gif
76' Andy Cole 2 Manchester United F.C.
Teddy Sheringham
out.gif
78' 26 Tottenham Hotspur F.C.
in.gif
78' Paul Gascoigne 86'
yellowcard.gif
49 Rangers F.C.
Paul Scholes 45'
yellowcard.gif
2 Manchester United F.C.

Hoddle won nothing I can recall... great player, poor coach

Hoddle won nothing I can recall... great player, poor coach

Google is your friend, and your memory is shocking. ;)
He was an excellent coach, but a piss poor man manager. He also made the mistake of allowing his beliefs to be mixed with football.

My memory is good enough to know that other than breaking Tranmere hearts in play off promotion games, he won nowt as a manager unless you’re counting a charity shield... do correct me tho

My memory is good enough to know that other than breaking Tranmere hearts in play off promotion games, he won nowt as a manager unless you’re counting a charity shield... do correct me tho
Di Matteo won the CL at Chelsea and Avram Grant was the width of a post away from also winning it.
I think you'd be hard pushed to find many people who would rate either as a better coach than Hoddle.

advertisement

Back