advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread Pt II

They didn't look tired to me tonight and they have a large squad of talented players to rotate if one or two need a rest. 'Pool also try to play with a high line and an attacking style which I doubt is less demanding than City's approach. Maybe they are not good at soaking up pressure like 'Pool tonight. City went flat for about 6 games last season after drawing with Celtic in the CL so maybe they lack the ultimate degree of confidence to bounce back. This is all speculation so who knows why they flatter to deceive, to be honest.

I don’t think they flatter to deceive, I think that when faced with an upmarket Wimbledon like Liverpool they struggle to assert themselves when the battle isn’t in midfield. Firminho was impressive tonight, although from the stands he looked like he could have been sent off for a second yellow. The reality may have been very different. The Klop high press works exceedingly well against us, we need a young Yaya to carry the ball out and take the battle to them. Silva looked tired later on, and we made too many chances that we didn’t take. Liverpool made two and took two. We lacked that edge today. A bit of luck would have been good. It would have been a different game at 2-0 up if a perfectly good goal hadn’t been disallowed.

Not been a lucky week for us. Sometimes you get the rub of the green, sometimes you don’t. Good luck Liverpool in the next round, and do remember Murray, you’ve got to be in it to lose in it. Seem to recall you had a little issue with a Spanish side in the last sixteen. Such gloating after failure seems a little unseemly.

Sevilla played well against Utd & fully deserved to go through. Utd were poor in both legs of that tie. I'm not aware that many have been asserting Utd are world beaters this season. I know I haven't.

But we've been hearing some absurd claims about City, not least from Bob 'Mind the gap' McC. It's been quite enjoyable seeing the wheels fall off in such a spectacular fashion. I'll be interested to see how they get on against a fresh & hungry Spurs at the weekend. They certainly do need a change of plan though. 3 defeats in a row & their only line of attack in each of those games was to give it to Sane on the left. They never applied any sustained pressure from the other wing.

I wouldn’t be clearing a space in the trophy cabinet just yet Murray . We haven’t played well the last few games. I think we should have played a better team against you, got the job finished. But heyho, what do I know. I think we lack a physical edge. Yaya in his peak would be a brilliant addition to our team. I guess the next upgrade will be more little zippy forwards.

I don’t think they flatter to deceive, I think that when faced with an upmarket Wimbledon like Liverpool they struggle to assert themselves when the battle isn’t in midfield. Firminho was impressive tonight, although from the stands he looked like he could have been sent off for a second yellow. The reality may have been very different. The Klop high press works exceedingly well against us, we need a young Yaya to carry the ball out and take the battle to them. Silva looked tired later on, and we made too many chances that we didn’t take. Liverpool made two and took two. We lacked that edge today. A bit of luck would have been good. It would have been a different game at 2-0 up if a perfectly good goal hadn’t been disallowed.

Flattering to deceive is pretty accurate. They are capable of wonderful attacking football and have established themselves as the best in the EPL, but when it comes to winning other trophies (last season and this) they have yet to show they are up there with the best in English football. No point in complaining about goals disallowed, great teams make their own luck. Probably I expected too much from them.

LFC deserved to go through over the two legs but I fully accept that they rode their luck over both legs.... City are a marvellous team to watch but many teams give them too much respect in the EPL and I doubt they'd have won the ECL this season... will do soon enough tho. Klopp's style of football is infectious and although I suspect they'll fall short in this competition this year... stranger things have happened and they'll need a good draw this Friday to make it to Kiev. Looks like CR7 will probably end this year with 5 Champions Leagues himself.

It was an exciting match, and it could certainly have been a more dramatic ending had that disallowed goal stood. But, happily, it didn't, and Man City gently deflated. Even if it had stood I think the result would have been the same; once again the Liverpool defence withstood most of the pressure City applied albeit with a bit of luck and some moments of mild panic, but the City defence couldn't cope with the few assaults on their area.
Robertson was excellent again I thought, one of the best buys in the last year for Liverpool imo (VVD looked a bit unconvincing at times). Sterling spent most of the time flapping around like a plastic bag in the wind, as usual.

Both these exciting teams attack well and have defensive issues. How it goes depends on who gets a bit of confidence or momentum or loses it. A bit of luck or a decision going for or against is all it takes to swing it. Great to watch though, as a neutral.

Great to watch though, as a neutral.
I was a bit disappointed with both ties. Liverpool too dominant in the first and it was all over when Salah scored in the second. It's a shame the Sane goal was disallowed as it may have led to an almighty climax. VAR please.

Well an 'upmarket Wimbledon' has beaten invincible City THREE times this season. City's first goal shouldn't have been allowed, Sterling fouled Van Dyke. On a night when the ref was card happy both sides could've had players sent off. 5-1 isn't luck it's a stuffing.

Well an 'upmarket Wimbledon' has beaten invincible City THREE times this season. City's first goal shouldn't have been allowed, Sterling fouled Van Dyke. On a night when the ref was card happy both sides could've had players sent off. 5-1 isn't luck it's a stuffing.

Shame your good fortune with refereeing decisions hasn’t translated into a better league position :)

We can discuss the refereeing till the cows come home, it would have been a very different game with VAR. Salah’s first goal was offside, Jesus’s goal in the first leg would have stood, Sane’s would have stood. I’ve not heard anyone who isn’t from Liverpool say Stirling fouled Dick Van Dyke, but if a plastic bag can trip up a 6 foot 4 £75 million defender there you go. Nobody’s denied Firminho should have walked for a second yellow, and there was much chatter on the airwaves on the way home that Mané’s yellow should have been a red.

But you won, so well done. It wasn’t a stuffing, a dodgy decision and the width of the upright prevented us from going in at half-time level. You won last night because we were chasing the impossible. Let’s see what the next round brings for you.

Shame your good fortune with refereeing decisions hasn’t translated into a better league position :)

We can discuss the refereeing till the cows come home, it would have been a very different game with VAR. Salah’s first goal was offside, Jesus’s goal in the first leg would have stood, Sane’s would have stood. I’ve not heard anyone who isn’t from Liverpool say Stirling fouled Dick Van Dyke, but if a plastic bag can trip up a 6 foot 4 £75 million defender there you go. Nobody’s denied Firminho should have walked for a second yellow, and there was much chatter on the airwaves on the way home that Mané’s yellow should have been a red.

But you won, so well done. It wasn’t a stuffing, a dodgy decision and the width of the upright prevented us from going in at half-time level. You won last night because we were chasing the impossible. Let’s see what the next round brings for you.

Ungracious whining from the best side in the country, we converted our chances, hitting the post doesn't count, we don't need to go over refereeing decisions that went against us because we beat you in the away and home legs. Even if it had been 3-2 at half-time we still would've won 5-2 because Salah and Firmino scored ;-) Congratulations on winning the Premier league-eventually;-) I used to really admire City but this whingeing from manager and players displays a lack of backbone.

It wasn’t a stuffing,

5-1 wasn't a stuffing! OK.

In case of doubt, of course City will win the league this year. As I said earlier, they've been the most consistent & effective team. It was all the 'best team ever to play in England' nonsense I was having some issues with. This season, teams like Wolves, Bristol City & Wigan have had some success attacking City. I'd hope that a few of the other PL teams will be less supine in future.

Lol.

Ungracious whining from the best side in the country, we converted our chances, hitting the post doesn't count, we don't need to go over refereeing decisions that went against us because we beat you in the away and home legs. Even if it had been 3-2 at half-time we still would've won 5-2 because Salah and Firmino scored ;-) Congratulations on winning the Premier league-eventually;-) I used to really admire City but this whingeing from manager and players displays a lack of backbone.

I’d refer you to my my first post Frank congratulating you and wishing you luck. However I’m sure if roles were reversed you’d be rueing refereeing decisions. At least you won’t have to play Barcelona.

I’d refer you to my my first post Frank congratulating you and wishing you luck. However I’m sure if roles were reversed you’d be rueing refereeing decisions. At least you won’t have to play Barcelona.

After beating the best team in Europe(you guys) I think on the night we can beat anyone Richard.(We are equally capable of failing to turn up!)

That’s been your failure. Klop seems to have worked out that if you hoof the ball over the midfield area bypassing it we have problems. United did the same to us on Saturday. It’s something I hope Pep mulls over and picks up on over the summer. Sometimes you can’t always play the game the way you want to!

Well I for one don't think City were robbed - Mane slipped clearly and came together with Otamendi - who subsequently writhed about if shot then the GK fancied manhandling him to get him a red. Firmino's booking was harsh... he and De Bruyne were grappling and KdB hit the deck - a yellow... the second it wasn't even Bobby who fouled him, think it was Ox? Sterling was diving about everywhere and escaped a card... it reminded me of Chelsea years back when they 'played' the officials.
As for the first leg - Salah had a foot on the half way line (as did Walker) and might have been inches offside... same for Sane's goal that was chalked off. I accept that LFC rode their luck and if Sane's goal yesterday had stood... it could have been close and uncomfortable. Second half was very different tho and I didn't sense a conspiracy against City.... I can smell the whine from their sour grapes this morning tho

Last edited:

advertisement

Back