advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread Pt II

At least Murray has precluded himself from moaning about a referee’s decision ever again.

Yes, it's a good place to be. Moaning about refereeing decisions is utterly pointless. You might have a view on whether they were correct or not, but to what end?

I'd have expected at least one of you City fans to have congratulated Utd on a fully deserved & hard fought victory, but no such luck. Very poor losers who, it appears, already feel entitled.

One thing you should've learned was to play to the whistle - moaning about Ashley Young now is somewhat futile.

He won the ball too.

Problem? Defensive much?
I'm not defensive at all. I'm neither Man C or Man U. I am merely an impartial observer contributing to a general discussion on a football thread. My team proved themselves completely and utterly useless some time ago so I now I have no vested interest in either of the teams, the outcome, who won, or who was on the wrong end of a controversial decision.

You on the other hand appear to be getting quite angry.

To be clear, on your first argument, I've grasped it, and you're wrong.

On your second argument, I've grasped that too, and you're right.
:)

The point of the first 'argument' was to illustrate that the legality or illegality of the tackle was questionable. Just because people shout, 'Definite pen' does not make it one. I've read plenty of comments from people who didn't think it was. But ultimately it's the referee who decides & he did. It'll be interesting to see whether some panel at the FA gives Young a retrospective red card & ban. But I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for that if I were you.

As an aside, did you also think that Ronaldo's bicycle kick against Juventus was dangerous play? Defender nearby. Both feet off the ground, out of control?

No, neither did I.

The point of the first 'argument' was to illustrate that the legality or illegality of the tackle was questionable. Just because people shout, 'Definite pen' does not make it one. I've read plenty of comments from people who didn't think it was. But ultimately it's the referee who decides & he did. It'll be interesting to see whether some panel at the FA gives Young a retrospective red card & ban. But I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for that if I were you.

As an aside, did you also think that Ronaldo's bicycle kick against Juventus was dangerous play? Defender nearby. Both feet off the ground, out of control?

No, neither did I.
You make a fair point, though the reckless challenge is a matter that is regulated specifically (out of control) whereas the bicycle kick is only regulated in the more general terms of dangerous play. The Ronaldo wasn't deemed a foul (presumably) because the defender wasn't close enough to get hurt, whereas we've all seem them given as a foul where the defender is close enough.

Which raises an interesting point. Is the bicycle kick itself dangerous play, or is it only dangerous when a defender is close enough to get hurt?

I work in an office in Manchester and tbf the City fans have been pretty sanguine. They can afford to be. Pep has been lightly criticised by some of them for not changing tack/bringing on subs earlier. The United fans have been surprisingly low key. I think they recognise it could have been 5-0 at half time and that it was very much a game of two halves. So pretty well-behaved...but then it is an office.

It is of course a fact that united won the game and Atkinson did not award to what most neutral fans would have been a penalty, nothing changes the result. Not to discuss or consider the incident after the event means that this thread would be pointless.
We can sometimes get bound up in our own bias.

Although I generally couldn't care less about footballing matters these days - the exorbitant sums of money involved in top-flight football are frankly vulgar for one thing - I'm a wee bit sad to hear that John Lambie, the former Partick Thistle manager, has passed away. Although I was brought up to be a Rangers supporter, John Lambie's management style was always entertaining, to say the least: 40 fags a game, 20 expletives a minute and 10 ear-damaging orders a second. John Lambie belonged to a world when equal opportunities meant he'd kick anybody up the arse if they didn't pull their finger out and dae wit they're telt. When a sweeper keeper meant owning an irreplaceable brush. When pay-per-view meant a trip to the local strip club. John Lambie R.I.P.

John Lambie

Well done, Liverpool, always the chance that they were going to score tonight, which was always going to leave City a mountain to climb after the first leg.

It is 'cause I praised them? I mean what is wrong with City when they have great players and can play dazzling football but have now had 3 defeats in a row as the season comes to a climax? Answers on a postcard.

Well done 'Pool and Roma (who would have predicted that win?).

It is 'cause I praised them? I mean what is wrong with City when they have great players and can play dazzling football but have now had 3 defeats in a row as the season comes to a climax? Answers on a postcard.

Well done 'Pool and Roma (who would have predicted that win?).

Maybe the all action style of Pep's is taking its toll on the players, due to not having a winter break to recover and go again?

No telling how the game would have turned out had the second goal been allowed. LFC could have unraveled, Salah might not have scored, and MC could have staged an historic comeback.

But as my Grandma used to say, "As di bubbe volt gehat beytsim volt zi gevain mayn zaidah." Which I believe means, "If my grandmother had balls, she'd be my grandfather." :)

Congrats to LFC. No easy draw from here, but I would still hope for Roma versus RM or BM. In any case, I hope they represent the Premier League well in the semi-finals. Also looking forward to watching the Barca/Roma match later in the week. Wow, what a result!

Maybe the all-action style of Pep's is taking its toll on the players, due to not having a winter break to recover and go again?
They didn't look tired to me tonight and they have a large squad of talented players to rotate if one or two need a rest. 'Pool also try to play with a high line and an attacking style which I doubt is less demanding than City's approach. Maybe they are not good at soaking up pressure like 'Pool tonight. City went flat for about 6 games last season after drawing with Celtic in the CL so maybe they lack the ultimate degree of confidence to bounce back. This is all speculation so who knows why they flatter to deceive, to be honest.

Not been a lucky week for us. Sometimes you get the rub of the green, sometimes you don’t. Good luck Liverpool in the next round, and do remember Murray, you’ve got to be in it to lose in it. Seem to recall you had a little issue with a Spanish side in the last sixteen. Such gloating after failure seems a little unseemly.

advertisement

Back