advertisement

Met police to hand in weapons and stop killing black Britons

Not sure if this is a joke, or just dystopian and a bit mental.

It’s just saying that justice systems are flawed. Every country has mistakes made, from policing to executions. It’s just one of those things, unfortunately.
I’m just glad I don’t live in a city. In fact, I’ve not seen blue lights on a police car in our village for a few years now. A few miles away is Ipswich, which can be a bit stabby, but I don’t think anyone has been shot by the police.

Good of you to stereotype but in what respect do I have no idea?
You have no idea what it is like to be black, young and in an inner city area patrlled by the Met because, like me, you are white, 50-something and live outside areas like deptford. Nor do I have any idea, because the repsonse that I will get from the Police will always reflect that I am white, 50-odd, smaller than average, etc. I have not experienced any different responses. Nor have you.

It’s just saying that justice systems are flawed. Every country has mistakes made, from policing to executions. It’s just one of those things, unfortunately.
I’m just glad I don’t live in a city. In fact, I’ve not seen blue lights on a police car in our village for a few years now. A few miles away is Ipswich, which can be a bit stabby, but I don’t think anyone has been shot by the police.
Sorry for my belligerent response but we already require over-policed communities to take on too much responsibility for dealing with the failures of the police themselves. The thought of building into school curricula classes on surviving encounters with armed police really is dystopian, and just straight up unfair. The police aren't some kind of natural hazard: they have agency, they have rules, recruitment and training procedures that can be improved or better adhered to. They need to take responsibility for their own racism and for the fact that they can't stop killing black people. Threatening to hand in their licenses every time they're challenged on another killing is the direct opposite of taking responsibility.

Can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but my partner's friend's nephew has been stopped and searched many times in London.

He is of slight build, doesn't look remotely menacing, doesn't do drugs, and doesn't live in an especially "rough" area.

I've met him a couple of times. He's very quiet and polite - wouldn't say boo to a goose.

And, oh yeah, almost forgot to mention it, his father his Afro-Caribbean, so he has a non-white appearance.

But that last point's not relevant, obviously.

Conversely I've been stopped and searched by the police only once about thirty years ago despite living in some fairly high crime areas of London. Obviously nothing to do with being white and vaguely middle class-ish.

I think we need to get a grip here.
Some posts could make others think that all armed police are always looking for a person of colour to shoot dead. They’re not.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. He deserved to be shot and killed, because he committed an armed robbery a quarter century ago? Because he had a criminal past, he might really have shot them with the table leg? That the police lied when they said his past was unknown to them? That this was a deliberate execution of a criminal figure?

I think all of the implications are pretty ugly, and quite a long way from your original "stay calm and everything will be OK". It does sort of suggest that beneath that reasonable, if ignorant and naive point there might be a way of looking at the world that's quite a bit darker.

Just saying that you missed out the part about his form. Maybe you see it as irrelevant? I’d suggest it could just maybe be more than coincidental but we’ll never know.

Could I ask a question about the process? Is it still the case that Officers involved in a shooting are allowed to get together to agree amongst themselves what happened which is why, in the past, their versions have been essentially identical?

In my day I did my statement separately. You are quite right that collusion can compromise...

I will see what I can find out for you - may take me a bit of time.

Netpol said:
If officers threatened to quit as a group every time there is some limited prospect of some form of accountability, the public have every right to wonder whether firearms units consider themselves exempt from scrutiny - and out of control

Twitter Link

Just saying that you missed out the part about his form. Maybe you see it as irrelevant? I’d suggest it could just maybe be more than coincidental but we’ll never know.
Yes I do see it as irrelevant, given that his form was unknown to the police at the time: it was not, according to them, a factor in the killing.

What do you think its relevance is? If you'd prefer to leave it hanging as innuendo all I can do is guess, and I'm guessing some dark thoughts on your part.

P.S. the advice to just stay calm when a load of old bill are waving guns around...LOL would be instant brown trousers for me...
Couple of instances like that, not in the UK.
Holiday in Madrid around 1978. Warned by a friend to be careful as the police were trigger happy after recent Basque separatist incidents. Her brother didn't slow down quickly enough at a police roadblock so they fired warning shots. We drove home and as we entered a village, spotted a bus parked sideways on. About a dozen rifles pointed in my direction!
Stopped for speeding in SA at night. My wife said 'don'r pay, they mat not be police!' I did pay after a gun was pointed at me.
You first.
I don't have an opinion, looking for sage advice.

You're white, well off and live a comfortable life in a nice part of the country.

You don't have an 'effin clue about the lives of young black people in London.

Totally irrelevant. Everyone should obey the laws of the land. Stick to that and you have an infinitesimally tiny chance of being shot in the UK.

I think we need to get a grip here.
Some posts could make others think that all armed police are always looking for a person of colour to shoot dead. They’re not.
Who's saying that? I'm sure they regret all the killings if for no other reason that they're a massive ball ache for everyone concerned. But like all regrettable incidents it's a question of a) who suffers the consequences and b) who takes responsibility and c) how do we minimise such incidents, and the answers always seem to be a) young unarmed black men and their families b) "the black community" and c) LOL shit happens.

Totally irrelevant. Everyone should obey the laws of the land. Stick to that and you have an infinitesimally tiny chance of being shot in the UK.
These infinitesimally small chances do seem to increase quite dramatically if you live in certain places, are non-white, and behave in certain (legal) ways and so it seems pretty relevant to me.

advertisement

Back