advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John
Thanks for that. I therefore need a salvaged unit as, like you say, it doesn't make sense to scrap my Fusioned unit.
Ian

Ah, thanks misterdog and JohnW for the answer! Luckily, my friend in the UK doesn't have an MDAC! He currently has an old Benchmark DAC1 that's developed a volume pot problem. He is currently trying to sell it, hoping to get enough money for the MDAC. I'm hoping the salvaged ones work!

I'm also assuming the cost of the MDAC2 of a salvaged unit is the same I'm personally facing for my own MDAC.

The Benchmark DAC1 volume pot can be easily fix/serviced and then I would suggest comparing to a fully modded MDAC.

Peter

Would there be any places in Cambridgeshire or nearby that would fix the problem? It would certainly raise the resell value of the Benchmark. He will need to sell the Benchmark DAC in order to FUND the MDAC.

Ian,

Originally the salvaged units where being offered to owners of Toy / Fusioned upgraded units to save cannibalising very good performance DAC's for the sake of GBP370.

We salvage the Chassis, Front Panel complete with OLED display panel and electronics, internal Cables, PSU PCB, AC adaptor, Remote control handset, Packaging - also safety approve for the AC adaptor etc...

We CANNOT manufacture the chassis here in Europe for anywhere near the cost of a salvaged unit - IMO, Europe is now a dead duck when it comes to consumer manufacturing, we have totally screw*d ourselves by allowing Asia to produce our everyday "consumer" devices.

Our hard earned money now goes to China allowing it build itself up and becoming the world manufacturing and financial powerhouse – while we here in Europe wither away into insignificants – in the long run, if we don’t manufacture we send a significant portion of our funds overseas to a country with unbalanced working practices where here in Europe with our over legislated “Health and Safety”, Tax systems and complete lack of support for business from Local government and banks we are killing ourselves for our own desire for cheap consumer goods (cheap consumer goods are just the start, then comes cars, planes, Nuclear power stations), more worrying what are we leaving inplace for our future generations here in Europe?

With MDAC2 I’m trying to produce a portion of the design here in Europe (the Main board) – it might be a futile effort, but if I don’t try then I cannot start to help repair the damage I’ve caused by being a “player” in the transfer of intellectual property and knowledge to China.

Once things for certain, I’m dreading the final European price of the MDAC2 PCB – to make it practical we will have to source many components from China (Rear Panel etc).

We need a more balanced approach, an equal playing field and conditions - ATM we are way off and until people and there governments are prepared to act we inflict irreparable damage to ourselves.

How much of what we buy this year for Christmas is manufactured in Europe?

Hats off to Rega for standing ground and battling almost alone for "budget" British built HiFi... I have no idea how they do it!

There are certain things like cars that will always have to be manufactured in Europe even if the company making them is based in SE Asia. Tasha and I are now on our third Hyundai built in Ostrava, CZ. It will always be cheaper for the likes of Jaguar/Landrover, Hyundai, Nissan, Honda and Toyota to manufacture in Europe than to ship from Asia. These cars tend to be designed in Europe too :) and let us not forget that the entire supply chain will be based in Europe. Tasha now works for a company that makes body parts for Toyota and Jaguar/Landrover. The latter are manufacturing cars in China for the SE Asia market using parts manufactured 8 miles from here!

My hi-fi consists of your own MDAC, a Rega CD player made in England, the pre and power amps designed and built in Wales, speakers designed and built in Scotland, interconnects and mains cables made in Yorkshire and a mains block and acrylic supports made in Cheshire.

The only "Asian" bits are the speaker cables from Hong Kong and some internal wiring from Furukawa.

Would there be any places in Cambridgeshire or nearby that would fix the problem? It would certainly raise the resell value of the Benchmark. He will need to sell the Benchmark DAC in order to FUND the MDAC.

I'd suggest contacting the U.K. distributor SCV as they will most likely have many contacts given this was a common problem.

Peter

John W, Gotta say that it seems remarkable that you are able to make a separate business out of your own product going wrong. Pretty good going. At least none are going to waste!! , but doesn't say a lot for the build quality in the first place looking at the numbers your trading here.

John W, Gotta say that it seems remarkable that you are able to make a separate business out of your own product going wrong. Pretty good going. At least none are going to waste!! , but doesn't say a lot for the build quality in the first place looking at the numbers your trading here.

Think you'll find the majority if not all of johns business are dealing with upgrades. There were figures shown by John that there are in fact small numbers of problems percentage to what has been sold. Don't forget the Mdac had outsold everything else by a large margin. So the number of reported problem will reflect this.

with 30k+ Mdacs out there we actually hear of relatively few failures. With John looking at complete Euro production and supply chain for the Mdac2 I bet he manages to slash that rate.

Sorry - you seem to have an axe to grind here - lets say that Audiolab have shipped 20K units of MDAC to the European market since its launch in 2011 (I've long lost count) - the 40 units we will try to scrape together as salvaged units makes up for 0.2% - I hardly believe that this is indicative of poor build quality, in fact returned units available at Audilolabs UK service centre are so low that I'm worried if we will be able to meet our requirements for those 40 units.

MDAC is not MY product, Dominik and myself designed it as consultants for Audiolab - we have no finical interest in it since we stop working with Audiolab towards the end of 2011.

I had no intention in "profiting" from failed units - the original idea behind sourcing salvaged units was to provide a donor unit for those who have a Toy or Fusioned upgraded MDAC - I've spent a huge amount of time upgrading these units - they are very good performing DAC's, and it would be a shame to see them taken apart for the sake of GBP370. Since my original offer to provide salvaged units for TOY / Fusion owners (who coincidently get the MDAC2 PCB AT COST - read I'm not profiting from these in anyway) others have asked if we can also source units for them...

There are over 20K MDACs in Europe - I have NO NEED to try and profit from messing about trying to arrange and then store salvaged units - rather I'm just trying and help - what I don't appreciate is someone trying to put these efforts into a bad light for some unknown reason?

Its sad to see when "friendly support and service" is twisted and warped into something negative :( SAD

with 30k+ Mdacs out there we actually hear of relatively few failures. With John looking at complete Euro production and supply chain for the Mdac2 I bet he manages to slash that rate.

"We" , I didn't realize that you were affiliated with the mdac business, now I understand:) I thought you were just a very enthusiastic mdac owner.

Good use of rejects anyway:) I look forward to hearing an MDAC 2 when they are sold in the UK judging by the feedback of the upgrades here. Good luck JW.

Twisted and warped!!! Come on , it's a casual observation. Sorry if it's taken in such a way that may so deeply offend you. It wasnt meant in such a way.

"We" , I didn't realize that you were affiliated with the mdac business, now I understand:) I thought you were just a very enthusiastic mdac owner.

Good use of rejects anyway:) I look forward to hearing an MDAC 2 when they are sold in the UK judging by the feedback of the upgrades here. Good luck JW.
"we" can also mean "we, forum members" and "hear of relatively few failures" could mean "see relatively few people reporting failures on this forum". It doesn't itself imply one's affiliation with some business.

There are over 20K MDACs in Europe - I have NO NEED to try and profit from messing about trying to arrange and then store salvaged units - rather I'm just trying and help - what I don't need is some poster trying to put these efforts into a bad light for some unknown reason?

Its sad to see when "friendly support and service" is twisted and warped into something negative :( SAD

To me that has been quite clear from the first moment. I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. Everyone are welcome to buy a new MDAC instead, if they feel the savaged option is somewhat unclear/unfair.

Honestly, John is doing us all a favour. If profit was what he was looking for, consulting for ANY big hifi company would prove way more efficient and EASY. I don't have a Fusion/Toy MDAC, yet I found far more attractive the savaged option than buying a new unit. Hence I (gladly) have paid for one.

"we" can also mean "we, forum members" and "hear of relatively few failures" could mean "see relatively few people reporting failures on this forum". It doesn't itself imply one's affiliation with some business.

I'm sure SQ will be along shortly if I have misunderstood what he said and will correct me by saying he isn't affiliated with MDAC.

John W, Gotta say that it seems remarkable that you are able to make a separate business out of your own product going wrong.

John's design and Audiolab's quality control are obviously completely unrelated.

What is remarkable and unusual is that the broken MDACs are being re-used to make a far better product.

Apart from the above there's the fact that there's actually a shortage of failed units for the small number of people on the list who want them.

So overall a remarkably pointless post

This forum seems to have more than its fair share of trolls. The only reason I'm here is because John is.

My very first MDAC went back because it was faulty and was replaced with another by the dealer. The replacement had a minor problem with the headphone jack (now fixed by John). So yeah I wasn't over the moon with the quality control, but that's Audiolab not John, I believe.

As a direct customer of John's, all I can say is that his MDAC upgrade (in my case a Toy Premium) has blown my socks off. I had to wait a long time for it though. So it's quality, but not quick. I would have no qualms buying MDAC2 from him, I'm sure it will be amazing.

I'm now a fan, and I agree with Tunkejazz that John is doing us a favour. He's also been very much a gentleman in not responding to such trollishness in the past. It's unnecessary IMHO.

I have no axe to grind BTW. My post was supposed to be read as a backhanded jokey comment based on what I had seen on this thread. I didn't do full market research before hand, as I had used this thread as a gauge for the foundation of my post. Thinking about it,why base your marketing and trading on a open hifi forum if you don't like what you hear. Maybe you should pay up and get your own MDAC owners club and then all comments would be sweetness and light. Until then you'll have to hear other peoples opinions won't you:) Get a grip it's hifi.

Twisted and warped!!! Come on , it's a casual observation. Sorry if it's taken in such a way that may so deeply offend you. It wasnt meant in such a way.

I find most people know exactly what words they've chosen and how they'll be interpreted

I'm sure SQ will be along shortly if I have misunderstood what he said and will correct me by saying he isn't affiliated with MDAC.

As this demonstrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back