advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will probably sell the V200 at some point as I no longer see any advantage over the built in MDAC amp with my headphones.

I've had some weeks with the Toy Premium now, and I've changed my mind about this. I'm hanging on to my headphone amp. It seems the bass is more consistent with my HD800s through the V200 than direct from the MDAC.

Still more listening to be done...

IanM,

Absolutely you will have your unit before Christmas - I'm working on yours and Ale69 unit as soon as I've issued the Prototype PCB files early next week - so they should ship out by next Friday at the latest- with a 7 day delivery service.

John, you've single handedly aged me 10 years, I'm Ale79!!! But considering how happy I am with getting to finally hear my upgraded MDAC I'm willing to for give you...:D

I was wondering if my MDAC volume control also controls Volume on the SPDIF's outputs? The reason I ask is that I would like to control 2 Meridian DSP 33's with it and they do not offer remote volume control without either a Meridian processor or RS 232 input.

Would something like Van Damme Starquad Cable do the job? I'm already using that between my MDAC and EAR890.

Vandamme is perfectly adequate for balanced connections. You could use others to fine tune the sound to your requirement , but you have EQ on the MDAC for that. Or are they called filters by the audiophiles these days.

Just thinking about the idea of using a salvaged MDAC for the MDAC2. Effectively we are buying a case for £370. Surely it must be possible commission the construction of a suitable enclosure for less than that? Or could the manufacturer of the MDAC case be identified so that a very similar case could be produced with relatively little re-tooling??

Just thinking about the idea of using a salvaged MDAC for the MDAC2. Effectively we are buying a case for £370. Surely it must be possible commission the construction of a suitable enclosure for less than that? Or could the manufacturer of the MDAC case be identified so that a very similar case could be produced with relatively little re-tooling??

Its not just the case... its case, and quite a lot of other bits, like the display, switching, control board(s) - I'm not completely sure, but all that the MDAC2 replaces is the main DAC/audio board, which is quite a lot of the MDAC, but its pretty pointless for JohnW to start re-manufacturing bits that he's not redesigning - and he's not famous for getting stuff done quickly (he's rightly famous for getting things done properly!) - so we'd have to wait even longer for MDAC2 if it was a complete new product, and, built by hand in Europe, would mean it would be getting quite expensive too.

While waiting for an MDAC-2 (tried to buy one from Arthur but he changed his mind), I've bought myself a piece of Chinese technology ;-) called audio-gd 10es2. Also using Sabre chip, but no big compromises in internal design (in power section especially). It also uses some clever technologies like a stepped attenuator instead of digital volume control. Result is I've sold my MDAC. Audio-gd is way better even though it is cheaper from the stock MDAC. If this was build in GB it would probably cost triple the price...

The differences compared to mdac are quite similar to what people describe as differences between mdac and mdac2... Great dynamics, better defined bass, great drive, clearer top end, more involving and realistic sound.

On the other hand, the functionality is nowhere near as MDAC :( But I got used to it.

Would something like Van Damme Starquad Cable do the job? I'm already using that between my MDAC and EAR890.

I've not much experience with various cables - I base my choice on engineering factors such as dielectric and resistance / capacitance... also purity of the conductors, pure Copper & Silver etc.

The Van Damme Starquad cable quotes a insulation resistance of 95K per meter which is surprisingly low... also the capacitance levels appear high...

I'll give the cable a try and compare with the sample from Chord its a fine chance to experiment with cables :)

I've not much experience with various cables - I base my choice on engineering factors such as dielectric and resistance / capacitance... also purity of the conductors, pure Copper & Silver etc.

The Van Damme Starquad cable quotes a insulation resistance of 95K per meter which is surprisingly low... also the capacitance levels appear high...

I'll give the cable a try and compare with the sample from Chord it a fine chance to experiment with cables :)
Van Damme uses several silver fibers to complement the copper ones. I would have bought their miniature starquad for my headphones, but I couldn't find it anywhere in Europe, so I ended up with the Mogami instead (which is also a quad cable), which was still really hard to get. With ~40% of the price being postage ... :(

Salvaged units are customer returns - and as such are considered non functional - however a quick test showed that in fact most worked although they could have random Relay or crystal problems (the most common MDAC problem) that might not show up on brief testing.

For the MDAC2 upgrade, the units Mainboard is replaced, so we don't need to investigate issues with the original salvaged unit.

Hey John,

Sorry to have to ask for clarification on this but I really need to make sure I get this right. The 370 pounds on the website gets you a customer return MDAC, with the mainboard that was in it at the time of return and not a MDAC2 mainboard?

Hey John,

Sorry to have to ask for clarification on this but I really need to make sure I get this right. The 370 pounds on the website gets you a customer return MDAC, with the mainboard that was in it at the time of return and not a MDAC2 mainboard?

Correct , the MDAC 2 update board is an additional cost.

Hey John,

Yes, the GBP370 is just for a salvaged unit (an Original MDAC) for those who don't already own an MDAC, this unit will be upgraded with the new MDAC2 PCB once the design has been completed (the MDAC2 PCB cost 3xGBP100 "development" installments with a final payment payment covering the cost of the PCB + shipping etc).

I was wondering if my MDAC volume control also controls Volume on the SPDIF's outputs? The reason I ask is that I would like to control 2 Meridian DSP 33's with it and they do not offer remote volume control without either a Meridian processor or RS 232 input.

Sorry - its not possible to output "Attenuated SPDIF", the MDAC's attenuation is performed internally within the ESS DAC - there is no external path to output attenuated Data to the SPDIF output.

Ian,

Originally the salvaged units where being offered to owners of Toy / Fusioned upgraded units to save cannibalising very good performance DAC's for the sake of GBP370.

We salvage the Chassis, Front Panel complete with OLED display panel and electronics, internal Cables, PSU PCB, AC adaptor, Remote control handset, Packaging - also safety approve for the AC adaptor etc...

We CANNOT manufacture the chassis here in Europe for anywhere near the cost of a salvaged unit - IMO, Europe is now a dead duck when it comes to consumer manufacturing, we have totally screw*d ourselves by allowing Asia to produce our everyday "consumer" devices.

Our hard earned money now goes to China allowing it build itself up and becoming the world manufacturing and financial powerhouse – while we here in Europe wither away into insignificants – in the long run, if we don’t manufacture we send a significant portion of our funds overseas to a country with unbalanced working practices where here in Europe with our over legislated “Health and Safety”, Tax systems and complete lack of support for business from Local government and banks we are killing ourselves for our own desire for cheap consumer goods (cheap consumer goods are just the start, then comes cars, planes, Nuclear power stations), more worrying what are we leaving inplace for our future generations here in Europe?

With MDAC2 I’m trying to produce a portion of the design here in Europe (the Main board) – it might be a futile effort, but if I don’t try then I cannot start to help repair the damage I’ve caused by being a “player” in the transfer of intellectual property and knowledge to China.

Once things for certain, I’m dreading the final European price of the MDAC2 PCB – to make it practical we will have to source many components from China (Rear Panel etc).

We need a more balanced approach, an equal playing field and conditions - ATM we are way off and until people and there governments are prepared to act we inflict irreparable damage to ourselves.

How much of what we buy this year for Christmas is manufactured in Europe?

Hats off to Rega for standing ground and battling almost alone for "budget" British built HiFi... I have no idea how they do it!

+1 Well said. You can also add 'out sourcing' to the short term thinking. We still strive to educate our kids for jobs that no longer exist in the EU, given away to emerging economies.

Yes, the GBP370 is just for a salvaged unit (an Original MDAC) for those who don't already own an MDAC, this unit will be upgraded with the new MDAC2 PCB once the design has been completed (the MDAC2 PCB cost 3xGBP100 "development" installments with a final payment payment covering the cost of the PCB + shipping etc).

Ah, thanks misterdog and JohnW for the answer! Luckily, my friend in the UK doesn't have an MDAC! He currently has an old Benchmark DAC1 that's developed a volume pot problem. He is currently trying to sell it, hoping to get enough money for the MDAC. I'm hoping the salvaged ones work!

I'm also assuming the cost of the MDAC2 of a salvaged unit is the same I'm personally facing for my own MDAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back