advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Elviz - I'm with you on this, Optimal Transient seems to be the best for me so far. I need to do some more extended listening though when I'm wife & kid free one evening! :)

Elviz - Think I've now settled with Optimal Spectrum on A.10 :confused:. Seems to offer me the best overall clear picture with good projection. How you getting on?

Not being able to communicate via the USB suggest the clock has failed - was this a new unit?

Was this the first time you tried to upgrade the firmware?

You could try a few more times to reflash the firmware - how computer literate are you? I could send you a lower level software installer - but you need a certain level of skill - where are you located?

The DAC is about 18mths old. In that time I've tried two or three of the firmware updates without issue.

I've used PC's since the days of DOS and the PC-XT. I'd be most grateful for the low level installer.

I'm in Canada.

Thanks
Don

The DAC is about 18mths old. In that time I've tried two or three of the firmware updates without issue.

I've used PC's since the days of DOS and the PC-XT. I'd be most grateful for the low level installer.

I'm in Canada.

Thanks
Don

Hi Don,

I'll get the files from Dominik - Its a long shot, but worth a try.

Basically, it will test if there's a TAS1020B USB controller present (irrespective of software) - and if it finds the TAS1020B will upload the Mainboard software - from there you might have a chance of recovering the front panel - if its a hardware issue (such as a failed Clock) then the software will not be able to locate the USB Device within the MDAC (TAS1020B).

Can you PM you Email so I can send you the files - hopefully you have WindowsXP as I'm not sure that the installer works with later OS.

Fingers crossed, Xmas 2013 will be a bumper year for trade and I will be able to shell out for the MDAC2 Fusion option.. Last year was dire.

I cannot pay by Paypal though as I have disabled my account after it was hacked.

One option would be cash up front in January when we are next planning to head to Central Europe.

Fingers crossed, Xmas 2013 will be a bumper year for trade and I will be able to shell out for the MDAC2 Fusion option.. Last year was dire.

I cannot pay by Paypal though as I have disabled my account after it was hacked.

One option would be cash up front in January when we are next planning to head to Central Europe.
John might also accept alternative currencies, like bricks. Avoids the value losses when converting bricks -> money -> bricks. :D

JohnW: two questions...

1) you mentioned sending me a repaired mainboard that I can install myself - I assume that this will be a vanilla one (i.e. no mods) or do you have any spare modded boards you're not using ;)

2) When it comes to MDAC2 time, are we locked into our choice of toy or fusion already, or can I change (might be feeling very flush by then,.... then again, might not!)

Oh, sorry, one more... (and this goes out to ALL MDAC2 brethren...)

3) Is there going to be a bulk buy option on the various toy and/or fusion bits? I seem to recall this being mentioned at one point, but I assume it's gone no further...

Windows.... Roof Tiles...

The Labs 1st floor Oak Beams still not arrived :(
You know - there's a roof tile shop really close to you - I was walking past it the day I visited - they have lots of stuff visible from the outside, they even rebuilt the (public) pavement outside their shop. :D
Though I imagine there are better places to buy such stuff ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back