advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appear to have made an error in a previous post and would not want anyone to think that I was trying to profit from this.

The Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE microphone cable code, 268-040-090,

is not the star quad (or quad star as some people refer to it).

The correct code for the Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE starquad microphone cable, is 268-048-090.

I apologize to anyone who may have been misled.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=181219017957
Pre-wired to 3w XLR is probably not the way John needs the cable to be. :)
I mention briefly in an earlier post, but on the prototype analogue stage PCB I'm working on the Balanced output connectors are a 5W XLR types to facilitate "Remote feedback Sense" where the feedback signal is taken at the end of the cable run thus reducing / removing the sonic effects of cables and connectors.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I appear to have made an error in a previous post and would not want anyone to think that I was trying to profit from this.

The correct code for the Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE starquad microphone cable, is 268-048-090.

Thanks the Cable looked interesting:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00APFEEZW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I was about to order 2x 1m lengths but the postage to Czech Rep. cost£14.00 (the same price as a single cable) I'll try and order the cable from Farnell when I order the components for the PCB, I need to order the 5W XLR's anyway....

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=181219017957
Pre-wired to 3w XLR is probably not the way John needs the cable to be. :)

Thats better, postage £1.60 (+30p per extra meter) - that's more like it!!!

Wonder why Amazon postage was so high...

Anyway know of a 4 Core cable with Shield + PTFE insulator, the only thing that concerns be about the Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE Starquad is the XLPE Cross linked polyethylene Insulation Material, which is not the best dielectric.

I've compared them once on Van Damme page and could not see much difference except different screen..
I'm already owner of Quad, but just for my curiosity and learn something new, can anybody explain why it's better than classic?

J.

I have the Audiolab 8000p picked up second british serial number "E" for £150 a year ago i my budged its up to £800 would the Parasound 2125 be a massive upgrade? or should i be aiming higher?

I don't know for sure but it brings more power and dual mono architecture, and the built in attenuation for optimum low volume MDAC use. It's not a John design mind (Curl, that is!), I suspect an A23 would be similar but better still, with the class A operation.

I'm not what it burns the 150w on. I left it on standby for a couple of hours and it cooled right back down, so it isnt heat. I put it on the bottom shelf and removed the shelf above, so it's got a double bay now to help dissipate the heat. .

Yes, there's a difference between standby and idle I suppose :p.

Just been really enjoying Otis Taylor's Contraband, sort of mesmeric blues :cool:. Really tuning in to it after three listens. Unfortunately there's no electric violin on there however.. Thank's for the tip on this guy, John!

I don't know for sure but it brings more power and dual mono architecture, and the built in attenuation for optimum low volume MDAC use. It's not a John design mind (Curl, that is!), I suspect an A23 would be similar but better still, with the class A operation.

Thanks for that makes sense to go for the A3 be it that its only £200 more. But 1k surely I can get a better second amp for that range I just don't know where to start looking so many options

Thanks the Cable looked interesting:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00APFEEZW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I was about to order 2x 1m lengths but the postage to Czech Rep. cost£14.00 (the same price as a single cable) I'll try and order the cable from Farnell when I order the components for the PCB, I need to order the 5W XLR's anyway....

Yes be careful with the 9 digit order code. The 0 is for a 2 core +sheild twisted pair and the 8 denotes a star quad 4 core plus sheild,,,,,,,,,:(

There is also the miniature version.

I would love to know how they manufacture a cable of some 20/30 copper cores with 7/10 cores silver plated in the centre.

Hi Revluga, There were quite a few recommendations several pages back, but most popular around here seems to be all varieties of current dumping Quads, 909, 606, 303 etc, and then the DIY n-cores if you're brave and prepared to work (maybe tipping the £1000). The A21, if you can find one for £750 and your house needs a bit of extra warmth is just great (or older HCA2200mkii, like mine!). Primare power amps offer a fully balanced option (A30.2).

Just read your post again, you didn't want a list - sorry for adding to the option paralysis!

Disaster. My MDAC has died on me :(

I went to listen to some music earlier, to discover that the display was corrupted on the bottom half, with what looked like a series of vertical lines. That's odd, I thought, and power cycled the unit. It came back fine, and I played the first four or five songs of an album before the sound suddenly cut out, display as well. Nothing. I don't think it's a fuse, as with the speakers connected I can hear a faint thump when it powers up. Nothing I've tried - including disconnecting it all and letting it cool for 1/2hr - has managed to resurrect it. There's certainly been nothing unusual happened to it to my knowledge; the only thing remotely different is that tonight I did cycle through some of the filters as the album I was listening to sounded a bit flat with the filter I normally use. Could that have had anything to do with it? Or is it just a coincidence?

JohnW: any ideas? I know that you would be happy to fix it if it comes to it, but perhaps there are things I can try first? As you know, I'm in the line for the MDAC2 mainboard update, and if that weren't too far away I could probably hold back, rather than sending it for a round-trip to you.

The most frustrating thing is that I am now totally out of musical options, having sold on my CDQ last week. Bloody typical bad timing! :)

Help me obi-John, you're my only hope...

Disaster. My MDAC has died on me :(

I went to listen to some music earlier, to discover that the display was corrupted on the bottom half, with what looked like a series of vertical lines. That's odd, I thought, and power cycled the unit. It came back fine, and I played the first four or five songs of an album before the sound suddenly cut out, display as well. Nothing. I don't think it's a fuse, as with the speakers connected I can hear a faint thump when it powers up. Nothing I've tried - including disconnecting it all and letting it cool for 1/2hr - has managed to resurrect it. There's certainly been nothing unusual happened to it to my knowledge; the only thing remotely different is that tonight I did cycle through some of the filters as the album I was listening to sounded a bit flat with the filter I normally use. Could that have had anything to do with it? Or is it just a coincidence?

JohnW: any ideas? I know that you would be happy to fix it if it comes to it, but perhaps there are things I can try first? As you know, I'm in the line for the MDAC2 mainboard update, and if that weren't too far away I could probably hold back, rather than sending it for a round-trip to you.

The most frustrating thing is that I am now totally out of musical options, having sold on my CDQ last week. Bloody typical bad timing! :)

Help me obi-John, you're my only hope...

John,

Might be too low or even too High Mains Voltage - Press the Knob on Power-up (whats the Raw Digital voltage)?

Is there free air around the unit (Free Air flow though the vents)?

Also Might be worth checking that the rear panel power chord is fully pushed home...

As the unit recovers once its cooled down is a good sign...

John,

Might be too low or even too High Mains Voltage - Press the Knob on Power-up (whats the Raw Digital voltage)?

Is there free air around the unit (Free Air flow though the vents)?

Also Might be worth checking that the rear panel power chord is fully pushed home...

As the unit recovers once its cooled down is a good sign...
Voltage is ~240V according to my Belkin PF50 mains thingy. I've seen it as low as 230V and as high as 244V, but tonight it was lower than that (I pay attention to this for some OCD reason). I tried what you suggested, but there are no signs of life, although I do hear the relay click a few moments after power on. Nothing on the display at all.

There is free air around the vents, and I've removed and re-inserted the power chord several times during my attempts to get the thing working again...

Not looking good :/

Hey Stilgoe, everybody got you pegged with your very first post on here, so there really is no need for you to carry on posting. Ever try a bit of introspection? No, thought not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back