advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John (and dominique of course),

I discovered the update va .10 for the mdac today. (Little bit late, duhhh)
Again an excellent job.
Thanks, we should make a statue for you!

Grtz,

Gerben

I think the new MDAC should be called Bob*.

* in a plosive, Blackadder sort of a way.

Hi Harry,

I guess you are referring to the original upgrade list?

The direction has slightly change, to maximise the very best performance and additional features I'll design and manufacture a replacement PCB here in Europe, more details can be found here:-

http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC_Next

If your interested to be part of the community funded development you can add yourself to the list, or you can confirm here.
Dear John,

Thank you for your prompt response. In all honesty, I am very interested in all of the MDAC developments, especially over the last few weeks or so. I'm not exactly sure which is the most suitable route for me to follow and thus, I was just hoping to be apart of what I presume is a very long waiting list and then hopefully nearer the time, I will be more able to make a more informed choice. That's not to say I do not wish to be a part of the kick starter project, however I'm just not in a position to fully commit to anything just yet, not at least until I have a clear idea of what it is I am trying to achieve. I'm positive that over time, just as the upgrades start to manifest themselves in peoples home, I will be able to make a more intelligent decision.

Thanks again John.

Dear John,

Thank you for your prompt response. In all honesty, I am very interested in all of the MDAC developments, especially over the last few weeks or so. I'm not exactly sure which is the most suitable route for me to follow and thus, I was just hoping to be apart of what I presume is a very long waiting list and then hopefully nearer the time, I will be more able to make a more informed choice. That's not to say I do not wish to be a part of the kick starter project, however I'm just not in a position to fully commit to anything just yet, not at least until I have a clear idea of what it is I am trying to achieve. I'm positive that over time, just as the upgrades start to manifest themselves in peoples home, I will be able to make a more intelligent decision.

Thanks again John.

The original idea of upgrading MDAC's was just not feasible in the long term - the upgrades taking 2 - 3 days, A big problem was the variability in MDAC build quality - I've ended up almost having to fine-tune the upgrade for each unit (not to mention practically rebuild the WHOLE analogue stage)... it was (is) a real struggle - even with this fine tuning, some units would sound better then others and this is not a situation that's not ideal to say the least.

Due to this situation, I've had to stop offering the original upgrade path - the new PCB is intended to resolve these problems + MUCH improved SQ and feature set, more then would be possible via the original route.

John,
is it related to DSD or something else? ... I'm not able to do decent quality calls via skype on this laptop (I'm away from home this week, back in Frydek-Mistek) and I'm not really in the shape to learn something like that, nor do I have the time this week.

But in any case - I'm happy to help whenever I can, will contact him via chat tomorrow.

Jiri

DSD (you have been asking a lot of questions) :)... Just use skype chat...

I just finished a four hour session with my fusion'ed MDAC. For this first session I selected a variety of different songs which I'm quite familiar with. The playlist includes songs of good, mediocre and bad quality.

Here is my playlist (16/44 FLAC):
  • Johnny Cash - [American III: Solitary Man #02] Solitary Man
  • Johnny Cash - [American III: Solitary Man #04] One
  • Johnny Cash - [American IV: The Man Comes Around #01] The Man Comes Around
  • Johnny Cash - [American IV: The Man Comes Around #02] Hurt
  • Band Of Horses - [Everything All The Time #04] The Funeral
  • Hammerfall - [Steel Meets Steel - Ten Years Of Glory CD1 #04] The Dragon Lies Bleeding
  • Hammerfall - [Steel Meets Steel - Ten Years Of Glory CD1 #06] Glory To The Brave
  • Hammerfall - [Steel Meets Steel - Ten Years Of Glory CD1 #08] At The End Of The Rainbow
  • Metallica - [Load #01] Ain't My Bitch
  • Metallica - [Load #12] Thorn Within
  • Metallica - [Garage Inc. CD1 #04] Turn The Page
  • Metallica - [Garage Inc. CD1 #08] Astronomy
  • The Wailin' Jennys - [40 Days #01] One Voice
  • The Wailin' Jennys - [40 Days #08] Heaven When We're Home
  • First Aid Kit - [The Lion's Roar #01] The Lion's Roar
  • J Mascis - [Several Shades Of Why #02] Several Shades Of Why
  • J Mascis - [Several Shades Of Why #05] Is It Done
  • Eagles - [Hotel California #01] Hotel California
  • Ryan Bingham - [Crazy Heart #23] The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)
  • Daft Punk - [Random Access Memories #05] Instant Crush (feat. Julian Casablancas)
  • Passenger - [All The Little Lights #02] Let Her Go
  • Philipp Poisel - [Projekt Seerosenteich CD2 #04] Wie soll ein Mensch das ertragen
  • The Corrs - [Unplugged #07] At Your Side
  • The Corrs - [Unplugged #09] No Frontiers
  • Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - [Real Live Roadrunning #03] Red Dirt Girl
  • Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - [Real Live Roadrunning #04] Done with Bonaparte
  • Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - [Real Live Roadrunning #05] Romeo and Juliet
  • Chris Thomas King - [Red Mud Sessions #03] Soon This Morning Blues
  • Chris Thomas King - [Red Mud Sessions #04] Come On In My Kitchen
  • Dire Straits - [Brothers In Arms #02] Money For Nothing
  • Dire Straits - [Brothers In Arms #09] Brothers In Arms

During the playback I stopped several times to compare the SQ to my Yamaha RX-V2067 AVR (unfortunately there was no standard MDAC around) which was used as dac and pre with the same Cambridge Audio 840W poweramp. Over the last weeks I had plenty of time to listen to the Yamaha. Actually it's not that bad, it just lacks some resolution especially with complex music.

The FUSION MDAC:
Speaking of resolution. It's simply astonishing what the FUSION MDAC "adds" to songs you've heard a hundred times. Suddenly all this small details appear from out of nowhere. Imagine you were counting stars at night but this time you'd count at least twice as much. Try instrumental music and vocals! The FUSION MDAC loves them!

The very high resolution gets combined with a remarkable soundstage. Yes, it's wide and it's deep too. Hmm .. these words don't describe what is really happening. Take the Yamaha for example. The reproduced stage has a tendency to be limited by the speakers position. The Sovereign+ MDAC was a real improvent as the stage seemed to be wider and little bit deeper. When you were looking for the instrument/musician you weren't necessarily looking at your speakers or the place in between. The FUSION MDAC takes this to another level. You pick the song and the FUSION MDAC recreates a perfectly matching stage. No questions asked!

Now it's time to play a complex recording. Add more instruments, vocals, ... the FUSION MDAC just adds another layer and another and another ... As if it doesn't care about how complex it gets. This is where the Yamaha gets blurry.

Bass. It's all there and so damn precise. Even if more precise bass reproduction has a tendency to be somewhat lean. I did a quick comparison with the yamaha. The quantity approximately matches with the yamaha lacking precision.

All this sums up in a wonderful listening experience. As I said before: If I had to use a single word to describe it, it would be "analogue". The FUSION MDAC loves good recordings. Whilst the bad ones are enjoyable too, the good ones get rewarded.

I did encounter one minor problem. Half way through my playlist I did notice a vast improvement in overall SQ. I'd guess it needs more time to "burn-in" further.

Next time I'll concentrate on some really good recordings like 40 Days, Red Mud Sessions, ... and some classical music.

Michael

Anyone spot the new Lyngdorf prototype integrated amp blog/newsletter . They hyped up a naming competition .... and the winner is TDAI 2170, so much for the collective mind :) :D

Hi Fusion5
"Analogue" you say? That's exactly what I've been looking for in a digital product for years.
Did you notice an absence of over brightness?
Thanks for your review - you must be so pleased with the results.

Cheers Michael that's really encouraging, wonder how much of a difference the Toy will be?

Problem with being without a decent dac is that you get accustomed to the lower quality of an AVR and the like, so when the MDAC returns , just how much can you recall is partly a concern. Which is where a prolonged listening period and varied playlist comes into play , which is exactly what you've done. Four hours of it !! That says a lot about the quality of what the MDAC is conveying .

With familiar tracks I,m sure its more of an immediate response and I find quite a reliable measurement. With complex recordings is where systems and room interactions fail to reproduce accurately , images can get blurred , instruments stand out less and you generally lose the ability to get "your foot tapping" or involved in the music. So it's reassuring what you describe in how the MDAC performs so admirably... Can ,t wait for mine. Cheers for spending the time to review .

Hi Fusion5
"Analogue" you say? That's exactly what I've been looking for in a digital product for years.
Did you notice an absence of over brightness?
Thanks for your review - you must be so pleased with the results.

As you know it's only a subjective impression I'm trying to describe but "Analogue" is the word that comes into mind to sum it all up. I think given suitable source material the FUSION MDACs music reproduction will never become stressful.

Definitely no over brightness with my system/room.

Oh yes, I'm very pleased! :)

Cheers Michael that's really encouraging, wonder how much of a difference the Toy will be?

Problem with being without a decent dac is that you get accustomed to the lower quality of an AVR and the like, so when the MDAC returns , just how much can you recall is partly a concern. Which is where a prolonged listening period and varied playlist comes into play , which is exactly what you've done. Four hours of it !! That says a lot about the quality of what the MDAC is conveying .

With familiar tracks I,m sure its more of an immediate response and I find quite a reliable measurement. With complex recordings is where systems and room interactions fail to reproduce accurately , images can get blurred , instruments stand out less and you generally lose the ability to get "your foot tapping" or involved in the music. So it's reassuring what you describe in how the MDAC performs so admirably... Can ,t wait for mine. Cheers for spending the time to review .

Cheers Phil,

let me add something to my review. The record "Chris Thomas King - Red Mud Sessions" is of very decent quality. John did recommended this recording some time ago when I asked him about his reference recordings (besides The Wailin' Jennys). Although the sound quality was decent on my Sovereign+ MDAC I never liked it much. Somehow it was lacking spirit.

And with the FUSION MDAC? Foot tapping! All the time! From all the recordings I've heard so far this one gained the most from the fusion upgrade!

Michael

Are we keeping these upgrades on the "low" to the Pfm circle or would it be okay to spread the word on other forums? Shall we wait until the business plan comes together or after the design period and final bom costngs?

Are we keeping these upgrades on the "low" to the Pfm circle or would it be okay to spread the word on other forums? Shall we wait until the business plan comes together or after the design period and final bom costngs?

The greater the interest, the lower the cost per item for the mainboard. So better for us all.:)

Unless we hear differently.

Spread the word I say.

And with the FUSION MDAC? Foot tapping! All the time! From all the recordings I've heard so far this one gained the most from the fusion upgrade!

Michael

Hi Michael, nice review, pretty much all you said about your 'Fusion' unit could be said about my 'Toy'...It's difficult for me to imagine it sounding better, so you're a lucky lad!

As you stated earlier I think you'll hear improvements with additional burn in time, about 3 to 4 days did it for my 'Toy'.

Apart from all the additional detail, soundstage, etc. the most noticeable thing for me is the control and extent of the bass...hence the foot tapping, and head bobbing!!! ;)

The rhythm section has never sounded so good, I played 'Everyday' by the Cinematic Orchestra last night, an album I've loved for 10 years or so...whereas previously one had to listen for the drum patterns and the bass plucking, now I 'hear' them if that makes sense.

Tosca - 'No hassle', ah that is a bass that Mr Dorfmeister is playing, and not a bass synth after all, I can hear it being plucked...and the sound!

But not only does it excel with well recorded music, it makes lesser recordings more palatable and more 'musical'. God Speed You Black Emperor's Mladic is a 26 minute cacophony of screaming guitars, strings, drums, vocals and feedback, with very little 'production' (probably a semi live take), which can 'bleach' out with lesser players, for the first time I noticed the position of the instruments, and the groove of the rhythm section...if you know the track you'll realise how impressive that is :D

So if the Fusion is better than the Toy hats off to you and John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back