advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisPa

pfm Member
So, on the basis that I've posted here for the first time in 4-1/2 months, and to distract the discussion slightly, I'll post again

John, Dominik,

would it be possible to synchronise a pair (or more) of MDACs with regards volume control?

I'm trying to work out a route for a multi-amped/DSP system, and it would be nice (ideal) to leave the DACs to handle the volume control. I'm only trying to feed 2-way speakers, so 2 MDACs would provide this for me. I then need to control volume. I know this could be done within the DSP unit, but I'd rather leave it to the DACs.

I don't believe anything else will require synchronisation - effectively I will only be using a single input, and should there be different filter preferences between bass and treble, then they can be selected individually on the front panel of each unit.

The concern/requirement would be that only one unit should respond to the volume on the remote control or the front panel knob, and should drive the other unit. Ideally I'd want to disable all other remote control functions, but that can easily be accommodated simply by not pressing any of the other buttons, hence I believe synchronised control of volume to be the only requirement

Thanks for your thoughts

Chris

I used to be into synthesizers. Some would be named in that dull computer style, your Yamaha CS80 (greatest synth ever made) and your Roland D50. Others would be brave, and call themselves Wasp, or Waldorf Wave, or Jupiter, or Odyssey, or Synthi (contender for greatest synth ever made).

I always liked the brave names, not the computer-style names. For that reason I prefer the Westlake Fusion. MDAC is just to geeky for me.

Hallo John

My understanding is that with M2DAC PCB comes also a new front and back cover.

The MDAC2 (WDAC)? comes with a new rear panel due to the addition of the AV Bypass RCA's

You also said that you have the option to get new MDAC chassis with faulty pcb. What is the price for these new chassis? I didn't need a second psu.

The idea is to talk with Audiolab service centre and offer to take all there "new condition" MDAC failed units - as we are upgrading the units with new Mainboard we are effectively rebuilding the units. I don't have prices yet from Audiolab - but I'd suspect somewhere around GBP300 to GBP350...

I used to be into synthesizers. Some would be named in that dull computer style, your Yamaha CS80 (greatest synth ever made) and your Roland D50. Others would be brave, and call themselves Wasp, or Waldorf Wave, or Jupiter, or Odyssey, or Synthi (contender for greatest synth ever made).

I always liked the brave names, not the computer-style names. For that reason I prefer the Westlake Fusion. MDAC is just to geeky for me.

Showing my age - I still remember the Yamaha DX7...

Need to think about front panel space.... "Westlake Fusion" is too long... Also I think its too much of a ego trip to have my name on the front panel.... I'm happy to beaver away as lakewest :)

Would it be possible to synchronise a pair (or more) of MDACs with regards volume control?

I'm trying to work out a route for a multi-amped/DSP system, and it would be nice (ideal) to leave the DACs to handle the volume control. I'm only trying to feed 2-way speakers, so 2 MDACs would provide this for me. I then need to control volume. I know this could be done within the DSP unit, but I'd rather leave it to the DACs.

I don't believe anything else will require synchronisation - effectively I will only be using a single input, and should there be different filter preferences between bass and treble, then they can be selected individually on the front panel of each unit.

The concern/requirement would be that only one unit should respond to the volume on the remote control or the front panel knob, and should drive the other unit. Ideally I'd want to disable all other remote control functions, but that can easily be accommodated simply by not pressing any of the other buttons, hence I believe synchronised control of volume to be the only requirement

Hi Chris welcome back :)

You would have a problem with synchronisation of the DAC's each would be operating off there own master clock and "Inter unit" phase would be all over the shop... With the dual ESS9108 design we have to go to some effort with external logic to insure the Modulator / ASRC cores are synchronised together to prevent inter-channel Phase differences.

I think John missed my last post.
Not sure if I am considered to be one of the 20 (but I was asked to send my unit to you), I didnt send my unit in because I wanted a new unit to be upgraded.

With the latest developement I am prepared to take one (actually two, since I wont even "steal" time for Toy) for the team and postpone my upgrade until the new pcb is completed.

I have already ordered resistors to be delivered to you John. Could you keep them until pcb is finished?

Hi Obi1 - I was referring to the 20 or so units piled up behind me here in CZ!

No problem to forward the resistors for safe keeping until the MDAC2 PCB is ready :) - I'll PM you :)

Hi John,
some days off pfm and things going on rapidly...
Originally on the queue for L2 upgrade I'm going for a new silver mdac2 unit with toy resistors. Just added wikkii...

Regards,
jansen

Thank you :)

Does that mean no IIR filtering like the ESS9016 based Mytek? Can't remember if that was avoidable or not in the ESS Sabre.

IIR filtering cannot be bypassed with the ESS DAC - but its non recursive so not such a problem as FIR filters.

As an aside... Bought the wailin' jenny's on John's recommendation (love exploring new music that I have never heard of) and I love it... Thanks for the suggestion!

40 days CD??? very good recording and the girls are really talented! Its really a great test disk for DAC / filter design etc... interleaved and layered Female vocals and violins / stringed instruments are the hardest combination to reproduce correctly.

will DSD256 and DSD512 be supported aswell with the upgraded mainboard, or is it just up to 128Fs?

honestly i doubt even 24bit/192khz isn't 100% transparent, but it is good to having the ability to stream DSD and ultra high resolution PCM without downconvertion.

I'm not suure what the upper limit is with DSD but DSD256 should be possible... I'd need to sit down and work out the Max allowed clock rate.

DXD 768Fs PCM will be supported.

Have things changed again? What's all this talk of chassis changes?

John,

Just a possible solution to purchase New condition failed MDACs from Audiolab service centre - it would be a shame to "scrap" TOY MDAC's for the sake of say GBP350 - the expected price of a salvaged new condition MDAC...

As for the players - I believe any "bit perfect" player should be capable of "playing" PCM-encoded DSD data. It's still just PCM bitstream to the player / driver / streamer hardware, if I understand it correctly. Or is there some "pure DSD" non-PCM-encoded format, playable via proprietary drivers?

Indeed, the player would not know what's contained within the file - it would work as long as the player was bit-perfect.

John,

Just a possible solution to purchase New condition failed MDACs from Audiolab service centre - it would be a shame to "scrap" TOY MDAC's for the sake of say GBP350 - the expected price of a salvaged new condition MDAC...

Hi John, is this something you would have access to? Would you be able to offer a M2DAC based on a failed MDAC...?

I'm not sure I can go without my 'Toy' MDAC again, and I could always use another...as I have 4 systems in the house ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back