advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was seriously considering selling my to-be-L2 unit to a friend when MDAC2 was announced. That is - selling at the time MDAC2 is released & scraped MDAC skeletons available. I guess that's a distant future at this point.

Can't wait to get my hands on my upgraded unit. :)

Your units now working well, just waiting for the 33pF / 22pF Caps to arrive (I've tested your unit with capacitors fitted in series to attain the correct value - this is ok for testing, but not to ship back to you).

I was seriously considering selling my to-be-L2 unit to a friend when MDAC2 was announced. That is - selling at the time MDAC2 is released & scraped MDAC skeletons available. I guess that's a distant future at this point.

Can't wait to get my hands on my upgraded unit. :)

I'm hoping for the Christmas time frame for the start of MDAC2 shipping - so we can treat ourselves :)

Johan,

Well Fusion'ed units are a different matter due to the cost of the Bulk foil resistors :) I can understand the reluctance to buy a second set of resistor + "a salvaged unit"! I was referring to the "MDAC Premium" units... your hardly going to get a DAC for the "Salvaged unit cost" of GBP400 anywhere its quality so its a shame to "Scrap" them....

Looking forward to your feedback :)

Still confused; may have to sleep on it

Your units now working well, just waiting for the 33pF / 22pF Caps to arrive (I've tested your unit with capacitors fitted in series to attain the correct value - this is ok for testing, but not to ship back to you).
Okay, thanks. :)

I'm hoping for the Christmas time frame for the start of MDAC2 shipping - so we can treat ourselves :)
You know - Christmas would be nice, but consider the detailist / perfectionist in you. I'm not trying to make any statements, but I have my own estimates. :D Quality over quantity, right?

I certainly want MDAC2 in the end, though. I exchanged a few messages with Dominik about some simple usb xmos sniffing on my side, which I still need to confirm on windows and mac, but it *might* be possible to eliminate the initial song cutoff when playing two songs with different sample rates (delay the playback from the computer). At least I *think* I know how xmos does it.
That would be a very important MDAC2 feature for me, since I tend to play lots of random tracks all over my collection, rather than listening to one album.

John if you buy them on ammo tape they tend to be closely matched as they come from similar wafers. If you buy them by the bucket from sources of unknown provenance, like the Chinese will then they will vary hugely as they will be coming from different wafers, different batches and different facilities.

I've been through about 6000 327 and 337's getting matches for the phonostages I've been building and it's taught me one thing, ammo tape from approved vendors every time.

Considering your dedication to each and every product, it would be a honor for me just to own a signed MDAC2.

Michael

PS - The sound it will produce will be a good bonus, though. :D

The units built to to these new and LAST spec. are labelled as "MDAC Premium L1" for the basic version and "MDAC Premium L2" for the units fitted with "Fusion" resistors.

John, what about units fitted with the "Toy" set of resistors, are they "MDAC Premium L1" or "MDAC Premium L2"?

Leon

Due to the amount of work I put into these units I'd hate to see these "Scrapped" for MDAC2 units - better to sell these on (or keep as a second DAC) and buy a new condition "Salvaged unit" for GBP350 to GBP400...

I have been thinking the very same. It would be a shame to salvage for its parts when its been hand crafted by its designer.

If the back log is proving such a task with the varying sq of the mixed bag of components (and build quality?), then I would accept that my unit could be sent back without any work doing to it. If this helps? ( as long as others follow) unless you can see a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not sure how far you are with the units awaiting modification.

It seems a lot has been learnt from this struggle. The results of which will be put to the design and production of the MDAC2 pcb.

Am only an occasional visitor to the 'MDAC First Listen' threads nowadays, have'nt seen any mention of the M-AMP for a while, is this still happening anytime soon John, or has designing the MDAC2 placed it on hold?

I have been thinking the very same. It would be a shame to salvage for its parts when its been hand crafted by its designer.

If the back log is proving such a task with the varying sq of the mixed bag of components (and build quality?), then I would accept that my unit could be sent back without any work doing to it. If this helps? ( as long as others follow) unless you can see a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not sure how far you are with the units awaiting modification.

It seems a lot has been learnt from this struggle. The results of which will be put to the design and production of the MDAC2 pcb.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the offer - but I truly hope that I've now cracked the issues at hand... your u nit is near the top of the pile to be upgraded... I'm hoping to get most of the units out by 15 Aug. to start working on MDAC2 :)

John if you buy them on ammo tape they tend to be closely matched as they come from similar wafers. If you buy them by the bucket from sources of unknown provenance, like the Chinese will then they will vary hugely as they will be coming from different wafers, different batches and different facilities.

I've been through about 6000 327 and 337's getting matches for the phonostages I've been building and it's taught me one thing, ammo tape from approved vendors every time.

Luckily the devices are SMD (thus supplied on reel & tape) - so I'm not sure what's been happening at IAG...

PlutoX,

Have you had a chance to listen to your unit yet - I know you cannot directly A/B but any nasties?

Yesterday was rather busy but, today, I have had a chance to compare the unit you rebuilt and my second unit (the one that will become the sacrificial MDAC2 lamb) and the difference is remarkable, particularly in bass 'stability' and 'tautness' (I cannot find better words) and the location of bass instruments within the image.

Certainly no 'nasties', as you put it. Very satisfying listening.

... it *might* be possible to eliminate the initial song cutoff when playing two songs with different sample rates (delay the playback from the computer)

It's interesting to note that, to allow for hardware stabilization, some software has the option to play a small amount of silence before the audio when it encounters the need to re-initialize the playback hardware.

Paul Hi, can you bring both units to Scalford, that would make an interesting blind test.

I would but I sincerely hope that, by that time, my second unit will have transmogrified into an MDAC2!

I'm sure I could get both units over to your gaff before then, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back