advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it make sense to start putting a list of people interested in refurbished MDACs to be converted by John, as the number of units made available by AUDIOLAB may be limited?

If so, I'd like to be put on the list (This will be ideal for blind testing different versions of the MDAC family, and make sure I'm not going deaf ;) )

I'd also would like to be on that list. I didn't add my name to the general wiki list as the option of getting refurbished/new MDACs is still not confirmed...

John, your time is much better spent - to the benefit of everyone, including yourself and Renata - designing, or as required overseeing the production of kit, rather than hand tweaking yourself. No more manual modifications; go for a production processes.

Yes, but it may well be that John would not have discovered the merits of the Bulk Foil resistor upgrades without going through this process. That appears to have been a hugely valuable discovery!

I forgot to mention that I have a suggestion for a name of the new product: M²-DAC
Or maybe M-DAC²

I quite like M-DAC²... it's still going to have an M-DAC case, so shouldn't stray too far from the original, however the innards are going to be radically different, which is suggested by the ² more so than a MK2. Plus the geek factor is appealing.

...or even MDAC2

I meant MDAC 'squared' but can't find the right character :(

Ah good Moosemeat/Obi have found it...

Plutox has I believe some doubts about DSD...

For clarification, my position on DSD is that it's good, but having had the opportunity of working with the format as both a creator and consumer, I'd say that 24/96 PCM is just as good. Remember, most views on DSD were cast in stone at a time when PCM converters that achieved more than 18 accurate bits, were lab curiosities.

If you can take material of any musical genre you care to name and pass it through an analogue --> digital --> analogue loop that sounds no different to a piece of wire, what more could you want?

In the context of the MDAC mk2, the addition of the DSD facility is indeed a no-brainer. It's cheapest rival with that facility is probably the Mytek.

Waiting with bated breath what you think of the SQ... :eek:

I think it's safe to say that the L2 FUSION MDAC is a remarkable piece of hardware. After 3 hours of warming up I did listen to a variety of different music for about an hour.

Well, I'm speechless. And I'll have to spend much more time listening to it. If I had to use a single word to describe it, it would be "analogue".

Next session: tonight!

Michael

Here it is burning in:

IMG_20130703_142105_small.jpg

...or even MDAC2

Good as long as Audiolab doesn't start to produce their successor to the MDAC and call it the same ;-)

I'm for the W-DAC as it is safer. I also think it wouldn't cost much to produce a nice 3d-like sticker that can be placed over M-DAC logo on the device. This would really distinguish the two and make the W-DAC not to be considered as just a DIY upgrade by the non-involved ones. This 1 pound sticker could add a 100 pounds to the aftermarket value :)

I think it's safe to say that the L2 FUSION MDAC is a remarkable piece of hardware. After 3 hours of warming up I did listen to a variety of different music for about an hour.

Well, I'm speechless. And I'll have to spend much more time listening to it. If I had to use a single word to describe it, it would be "analogue".

Michael

Here it is burning in:

Lo mike.

Got enough drivers there? :eek:

Michael

Here it is burning in:

:) Glad it appears the "fusions" working its magic in your system there :)

Nice speakers - very keen to hear what you think about the Bass :)

Anyone notice the webpage open on the Monitor / TV :D

Looking forward to your feedback after more in depth listening, appears I don't have to hold my breath any longer! :)

The offer with the refurbs, will the pcb be replaced by yourself John and will there be an extra cost here for your time?

Assuming otherwise its a straight production line run and despatch, or will you for the toy/fusion units, have to manually insert the foil resistors?

If so you will be getting dragged back into modifying numerous units again , if the refurb option or resistor choice is taken up by many. Unless I've misunderstood ;)

Do you think the DIY pcb install can be botched , by us (speaking for myself here) ? :)

Think I'm really fortunate that I'm one of the lucky level 2 owners and don't wish to sound negative here, just thinking of the bigger picture and future products.

Lakewest Fusion MDAC²

Been out for awhile, so pardon me for asking...

Awhile ago there was an upgrade provided by JW, having the MDAC sent back to him.

I put my name down for it...What happened? Is it going to happen?

Ta

The offer with the refurbs, will the pcb be replaced by yourself John and will there be an extra cost here for your time?

NO extra cost - I'll test the units before shipping etc.

Assuming otherwise its a straight production line run and despatch, or will you for the toy/fusion units, have to manually insert the foil resistors?

The Toy / Fusion resistors will need to be manually inserted, adjusted and tested - this is included in the price of the first "pledged" units

If so you will be getting dragged back into modifying numerous units again , if the refurb option or resistor choice is taken up by many. Unless I've misunderstood ;)

We are talking about 1 - 2 hours rather then 2-3 days!

Do you think the DIY pcb install can be botched , by us (speaking for myself here) ? :)

Well anything can be botched in life, but with a little care its an hour job...

Off topic, but does anyone have a recommendation for a network streamer which plays nice with the MDAC. I am currently using a modded (software + linear PSU) version of a Logitech SB Touch, Async'ing USB feeding MDAC.

The USB2 upgrade for the MDAC will remove a nasty USB hub i need to use to get this set-up to work nicely, looking forward to hearing the difference (and all the other changes) made to sound emitting through my RS2i's. (Yes, I enjoy looking like something out of a WW2 movie! :) ).

Netbook/small laptop (atom dual core or better) with software of your choice (jriver/mediamonkey/xbmc etc etc etc)
Can be set to not shut down with lid shut, or black screen screensaver, remote controlled by phone/tablet or on screen...

If it has HDMI it could also be used to stream films/TV to your tv.

What's wrong with the Logitech SB Touch? any reason to change? The Asyc USB connection is hard to beat!

That reminds me, the other day while looking for the Microscope to examine the Bulk Foil Metal Mask set I found 2 brand new unopened SBT under the lab bench taking up space... If anyone's interest say 200GBP each? which includes shipping to anywhere in Europe....

Brand new units seem to be going for a lot more on Ebay these days... I could do with the extra leg room :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back