advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with the Logitech SB Touch? any reason to change? The Asyc USB connection is hard to beat!

Well if the master thinks it's good... Perhaps I should save the pennies and buy the fusion upgrade (and perhaps a nice pair of staxs). :cool:

What's wrong with the Logitech SB Touch? any reason to change? The Asyc USB connection is hard to beat!

That reminds me, the other day while looking for the Microscope to examine the Bulk Foil Metal Mask set I found 2 brand new unopened SBT under the lab bench taking up space... If anyone's interest say 200GBP each? which includes shipping to anywhere in Europe....

Brand new units seem to be going for a lot more on Ebay these days... I could do with the extra leg room :D

Would yourself and/or Dominik find having a SBT around for testing Async compatibility (up to 24/192) with the USB 2.0 implementation in the MDAC2 useful?

Yes - definitely the better option - the SBT hard to beat with the Async connection :)

+1 John, and with an iFi USB power it sounds even better, I'd take one of your spares off your hands but I've got an unopened one as backup already...

re Naming the updated MDAC.

Just a thought.
John's company is Lakewest .... right?
If DAC's are female, how about LaDAC?
After all it is THE DAC .... isn't it?
(Might not work quite as well with the amp though (L'amp)!)
Might not be great but I was struggling to see where the "W" came from and the "MDAC squared" might get confused with the Audiolab MDAC and be a bit of a mouthful for the uninitiated.(and I can't find the superscript 2!).

Or ......

Ian

Would yourself and/or Dominik find having a SBT around for testing Async compatibility (up to 24/192) with the USB 2.0 implementation in the MDAC2 useful?

I use one unit on a daily basis just to stream BBC etc... Czech News is not up to much!

French - if DAC's are male then I guess it would be LeDAC - which would be a pity as LaDAC matches the first 2 letters of Lakewest.

Dear John,

I just wanted to send a follow up message in regards to putting myself on the list for an upgrade. I didn't really receive any confirmation as to whether I was accepted onto your waiting list with the first message. I don't quite know which upgrade route I wish to go down just yet as it seems there are quite a few options available to myself. Saying that, I imagine it is going to be alittle while before I have to decide.

Kind regards,
Harry

Dear John,

I just wanted to send a follow up message in regards to putting myself on the list for an upgrade. I didn't really receive any confirmation as to whether I was accepted onto your waiting list with the first message. I don't quite know which upgrade route I wish to go down just yet as it seems there are quite a few options available to myself. Saying that, I imagine it is going to be alittle while before I have to decide.

Kind regards,
Harry

Hi Harry,

I guess you are referring to the original upgrade list?

The direction has slightly change, to maximise the very best performance and additional features I'll design and manufacture a replacement PCB here in Europe, more details can be found here:-

http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC_Next

If your interested to be part of the community funded development you can add yourself to the list, or you can confirm here.

Fusion: we need more feedback!

I know, but that's not as easy as it sounds. I've encountered a weird problem.

Listening to the Fusion MDAC is so much fun... all you wanna do is listen. Just listen. Writing is so lame ;)

I'm about to finish my first playlist within the hour. Then I'll try to put my impressions into words.

As for the players - I believe any "bit perfect" player should be capable of "playing" PCM-encoded DSD data. It's still just PCM bitstream to the player / driver / streamer hardware, if I understand it correctly. Or is there some "pure DSD" non-PCM-encoded format, playable via proprietary drivers?
My understanding is if you start with a DSD file the media player has to encode it into PCM packets for DoP. I don't think you can buy/download pre-packaged DSD files.
The only thing that puts me off DSD a bit is the huge files which I'd normally have backups of, to be sure, to be sure. What we need is a FLAC equivalent for DSD. And a relaxation of the Sony copyright so we can stream DSD from SACD and pipe it into MDAC MK2 :)

Yes its a resistor swap, however it involves removing SMD components and once the resistors are replaced with the Bulk Foils the Analogue stage needs to be adjusted - so the Resistors swap is not a simple DIY job.

Yes the MDAC2 PCB will be designed fromm the start to support AV bypass

You can route your Analogue sources via the AV bypass input - then using an analogue pre-amplifier you can adjust (and select) the level of the analogue sources such as your turntable etc.

Oh Yes, same connector arrangement as the MDAC but with the extra AV bypass conectors.

Hi John, thanks for responding - that's all pretty much as I expected, but thought I'd check!
Shame about the trimming and adjustments you need to do following the resistor upgrades, it would have been so cool to have been able to have some kind of swappable resistor module that could just be taken out and replaced (reminding me a bit of the DaCapo actually).

Now there's a thought..... how about the "M-DaCapo" :D

Lakewest L-DAC anyone?

Or, since the M-DAC is really the original Lakewest DAC Mk1, how about:

L-DAC Mk2

Next MDAC name

LDAC (Lakewest ...)
LMDAC (Lakewest MDAC)
MDACTOO (now where might that have come from ...)

John

What are the chances that IAG/Audiolab might offer to pay for your mark2 boards. Since the new pcb will just drop in to their existing case and use their existing psu and remote it would seem like a lucrative (for you) and easy M-DAC Mk2 for them no-brainer. Obviously Toy/Fusion upgrade would stay with you to be Lakewest's differentiator.

Just an idea.

Clive

Jiri,

Dominik has all the details - contact him via skype chat - I'm sure he will be happy to talk with you...

If you have not already seen this site:-

http://dsd-guide.com/technical-documents
John,
is it related to DSD or something else? ... I'm not able to do decent quality calls via skype on this laptop (I'm away from home this week, back in Frydek-Mistek) and I'm not really in the shape to learn something like that, nor do I have the time this week.

But in any case - I'm happy to help whenever I can, will contact him via chat tomorrow.

Jiri

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back