advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John, do you have any experience with the first 12 "Tyco" L2-Upgrades and "Toy" on top?

The Vishay's extend resolution in a dramatic way and firm-up the bass and soundstage Depth - the Tycos already have very good L/R soundstage.

The Vishay "Toy" mod is an improvement over the original Tycos.

John, is there an easy way to use the power supply from one of the non-constricted-sounding DACs on Johan's unit? Soft bass, constricted sound - might well be a power supply issue.

John, is there an easy way to use the power supply from one of the non-constricted-sounding DACs on Johan's unit? Soft bass, constricted sound - might well be a power supply issue.

I might be wrong but I doubt the PSU's are being sent with the MDACs, I certainly didn't send mine...it doesn't need a holiday in CZ :)

It would be funny to send a modified unit to one of those Hifi magazines and check what they write about it ;-)

I know (and fear) that when Jems’s unit is fusion’ed – its going to blow Johans unit out the water, ......

Why not give it a go, really want to know how far fusion is ahead of toy on a fair ground, not 2 different mdac.....

May be John you could use your own reference unit to do it, if not too much hassle involve, I just think it's worth doing.

I must return here again to thank John for his hard works and the report. :)

Yesterday we tried both the PSU PCB + Front panel PCB from Jems unit onto Johans' units - with little difference... (I always test with the same external PSU adaptor).

Why not give it a go, really want to know how far fusion is ahead of toy on a fair ground, not 2 different mdac.....

I'd also very much like to know (and hear :) ) However because the only set of resistors I have are currently fitted to Johans unit - it would take about half a day just to transfer to them to a different unit - this still leaves Johan without a solution to his unit.

is there a measureable difference in noise between l2+dale resistors and l2+vishey bulk resistors? i would not be surprised if the resistors is a limiting factor.

btw: i know a alternative way to measure noise, just use a amp with very low noisefloor, use highest possible volume and put the ear to the speaker, a emty track or a track with very low volume needs to be used(a bit dangorus).

I’ll list the units we listened too and summarized the modifications made:

1. Johna’s Fusion unit with x4 100pF added for extended stability & 9600pF of BCcomponents capacitors in place of 10nF EVOX PFR’s

2. Jems “Silver Unit” uncased with L2MDAC upgrade with Dale resistors.

Johans "Fusion" with the “extra” x4 100pF removed opened the sound stage up even more! and increased detail, but did not resolve the Midrange hardness.

The next move was to replace the 9600pF of BCcomponents capacitors (which had Magnetic leads) to Wima’s 10nF which where non magnetic – this banished the midrange harness never to be heard or mentioned again.

Now the Johans (black) Fusion’ed unit excelled with Clarity, “Smoothness” to female vocals, incredible resolution – and "Tyco wide soundstage" – foot tapping was back (but Jem’s unit was still very slightly ahead in this regards).

... I know (and fear) that when Jems’s (silver) unit is fusion’ed – its going to blow Johans unit out the water,..

so a silver fusion with Wima 10nF capacitors and Vishay's resistors is the top of the mountain.

from my perspective it would be nice to hear whats the step between L2 + Vishay-fusion + wima <-> L2 + Vishay-toy + wima.
and you still have no idea what's the reason for that silver - black issue...

anyway: ONCE AGAIN, THANKS FOR YOUR WORK!!

---------
regards
f.s.

is it possible to summarise the prices for each step?

exchange standard with Tyco Resistor =
exchange standard with Wima’s 10nF capacitors =

If I am right, I think I have:
L2 = 300.- GBP
exchange standard with Vishay Bulk Resistors = 55.- GBP for Toy-level
exchange standard with Vishay Bulk Resistors = 430.-GBP for Fusion-level

regards
f.s.

John W,
No sweat :) ...in returning mine, keep it until 100% sure of the mods required.
Components from Hifi Collective are not due for a while (weeks) anyway.
The only problem I guess is if you identify a problem with the fusion component list, but lets not go there .

is there a measureable difference in noise between l2+dale resistors and l2+vishey bulk resistors? i would not be surprised if the resistors is a limiting factor.

btw: i know a alternative way to measure noise, just use a amp with very low noisefloor, use highest possible volume and put the ear to the speaker, a emty track or a track with very low volume needs to be used(a bit dangorus).

Nothing measurable with standard audio tests - I can measure down to -175dB... ref. 4Vrms (Balanced XLR).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back